Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried 5" helical feathers on my arows today through a GKF funnel rest and also a Huntmaster 2000.....My groupds were tighter being at 20 yards shooting fingers EVERY ARROW WAS TOUCHING!!!!!!IN A 2" GROUP........THOSE HELICAL ARROWS AND 5" FEATHERS PROVED TO ME THAT THE OLD WAY, MAY STILL BE THE BEST WAY........They were on 27 1/2 2213!!!!!! xx75

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Those feathers will control an arrow like nothing else! I used 5" feathers last year on 2317's. Not a real fast setup but deadly accuracte!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
You got it! I use 4-5 inch helical feathers on my 28" 2314 X7's. This set up is so accurate, hard to shoot anyhting else.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Feathers are all I shoot, and I shoot fingers. They are forgiving, and not as picky about the type of rest & alignment. I use an old "springy" rest with good results.
wabi

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear feathers are not dead.......a little steam and back to normal!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I shoot fingers with 5" helical feathers on 2514's, very accurate.:D Toxo, did you shoot enough to tell how the feathers will hold up coming out of the funnel repeatedly?

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5 " Feathers

I shot the arrows aproximately30-50 times per arrow and there was no damge or lost feathers.....There was minial wear on the ends but so little that it was not worth talking about. remember on the funnel. The inside ring also "gives" or rotates to let the feathers/vanes find the wide slots. Best rest I have ever own.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
I only Shoot helicals for the same reasons

I have always shot helicals except for while when I shot from a prong.........

Now with a drop away I may go back to 4 fletch FULL HELICAL
HELIC AL ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TINK:D

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Feathers

They have been shooting them for about 30-50 thousand years...so I guess they will still work.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have been shooting feathers for a very long time. Late last year, I switched to 4" vanes and I don't like the fact vanes are easier to damage when shooting a tight group. I have decided that I will go back to feathers when I re-fletch.

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Feathers

Vanes are nice and have there place.....but feathers seem to be more forgiving and shoot much better, that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Feathers vs vanes

If feathers are better and more accurate who dont they shoot feathers in the Archery Olympics?

I find vanes to last longer shoot more silent and last far far longer than weathers and perform in rain and sleet better than feathers

Plus feathers cost a lot more these days

OLD TINK

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Feathers

I could be wrong but I think FITA still allows them. also feathers have ben shot in the olympics for many years.....and according to some traditionalist(which I do not agree with) if you shoot vanes you are not shooting archery.

·
Registered
518 Posts
"If feathers are better and more accurate who dont they shoot feathers in the Archery Olympics?'

Because they don't shoot Broad heads and at longer distances vanes are quicker(less drag).

Truth be told you can shoot well enough with off set vanes and with the use of a drop away even full helical is posssible with vanes.But feathers are just made for hunting arrows and I don't usually hunt in the pouring rain anyway.Try some 4-5 " helical feathers and you'd be surprised how well even the biggest of broadheads will fly.

CB

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Feathers & Rain

Cajun Thanks

I used to keep track of deer kills and weather and stuff like that

Killed my biggest buck in a down pour at 11 38 AM Oct 31st Halloween

Pouring raina l mornign

at 10:15 AM I killed doe at 11 38 th Big Monster same strand
o 11 of my top Deer 8 of the 11 were kiled inthe rain

When i kiled the big boy my buddies were huddled in the car sleeping and eating lunch
Feather are fien but they dotn lasst logn as mucha s I shoot

Also they make a helluva lot of noise whe you shoot them too

where in La are you f rom ?
I date a lady in Eastern LA in Bush LA

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
rain or wet conditions does not effect feathers.ive shot them for 20 years.and have had them so wet at times that they were lying down flat on the shaft and still fly exactly the same.feathers forever for me.

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
feathers

In todays market they have powder and spray for feathers so nowadays it is not such a big deal.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Tink I would think an ole timer like you would be a feather man;) I have allways shied away from bowhunting in a HARD rain because it's hard to bloodtrail in the rain.Maybe I need to rethink that one.

While I agree feathers can get ratty looking when shot alot.I find a ratty feather shoots better than a wavy or torn vane.I also like using the feather tape instead of glue on carbon arrows.It holds good and is easy to refletch.

I'm from just outside of Baton Rouge.

CB

PS I killed my biggest deer years ago with his nose in some tinks 69:) Good stuff

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Bon soir M. Cajun

Feathers--- Well if I could shoot as good as you I would not worry about it.

I seldom if every loose game and least of allwhitetailed deer

I usually use 4 blade rather than 3 blades....and I like huge broadheads.........that cut whopper holes in critters.....

In the rain I just go after them quicker...........I just turned 62 and I sure as hell am not missing any more days huntign for fear of gettign soaked

Since I went to compounds in 1971,
I can watch most deer fall..................

I got weaned off feathers in South Africa when I saw how bad they spooked African Game

Game was long gone by the time the feathered arrow got to where the game was

with vanes never a problem vnes made for higher percentage kills................

Jim Dougherty once took 27 arrows to finally hit and Kill an Impala in Mozambique

I saw cases of feathers making so much noise in flight that I insisted Modern bowhunter use Vanes..... Trad Guys of course shoot feather fletching

yes feathers shoot fine but they have a few drawbacks like the noise and feather rustling some times against my cables petty stuff like that

Also I have noticed the quality of real feathers has really gone down hill

Lot of new shooters don't even know what a high oil line is

Plerase send me 2 dozen feather fletched arrows this fall and I will try them again as its going to be a wet, wet, wet fall & winter
Best TINK:cool:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have used both since 1956 but have gotten back to
the feathers for a lot of the reasons listed here and
for all around hunting with the waterproofing that
is available cant see ever going back to vanes,to
each his own I guess!:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts