Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reallly need one but im afraid of theft and was wondering if the 50.00 cheap stealth cams are decent enough or do they fail too much? if not ill just buy a good one and be extra cautious

·
Registered
215 Posts
ok for a while

Mine lasted one season. then a sensor went out and it just started taking a roll of film in 24 min. they do take good pics though

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am currently using 2 of the cheap 35mm stealth cameras, i use 200 speed film, i am getting great pictures with very good quality, the one i got has a flash of 30 feet, but in fact you only get 30 ft flash if you use 800 speed film, with 200 speed film, you flash is only effective out to about 12 ft, so if you get one consider how far you have the camera from where you want it to take the picture, also consider the time between pictures. I have mine on state game lands, i check them once a week, remove the film, change the 8 aa batteries and that's it, i get my film from dollar tree for $1 a roll, i get the film developed at a local one hour rite-aid drug store, costs $5, plus tax, i usually get about 15 pictures. I am very pleased with the camera, and the guys at work are always waiting to see what the next roll has on it.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Basically the results I've had with them leave little to be desired and I'd sooner invest $50.00 elsewhere and use a rock for a paper weight.

Some guys claim good results with them. I returned 2 and the 3rd one was just as bad. I've watched deer stand 5 feet in front of the camera for over an hour with a fresh set of batteries and plenty of film, and not one picture taken. Similar situations happened with all 3. Tested the batteries after inspecting the unit, they were fine. Film was loaded fine. Problem is likely the sensor blowing goat chunks.

So either I'm the most unlucky S.O.B. on the planet (quite possible) or these are a P.O.S. I vote for P.O.S. but do know some people have had better results...somehow.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I own two of them. They do work, but they don't trigger as well or as fast as the cuddies. I can't afford that though, and I am also worried about theft but three years now and I haven't lost one(Knock Knock). I also own the more expensive $119 dollar one and it does trigger further, and faster. I know I probably miss some, but you should see some of the ones I get..woohoo!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im thinking I might just go with the non typical 99.00 cam in cabelas and give it a shot.

·
Registered
211 Posts
good enough

the cheap ones work fine and for the price you can buy several...you don't need to have a great quality picture for you to see what is out there...they work just fine...sure if you have the money invest in some good ones but if you don't...any camera is better than none..and for 50 bucks..it sure beats sitting in that spot day in and day out ..don't you think ;)

Tim

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yea I have one. I wouldn't give a dime for a dozen more. Ditto P.O.S. The next camera I buy wont say stealth on it anywhere! My best scouting is done sitting on my backside at dusk in the soybean fields anyway. Good Luck, Hoosier.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Here are a few of my pics from my $39.99 Stealth Cam! Judge for yourself!
Take for granted that these are digital pic of the 35mm pics!--Mono

·
Banned
1,562 Posts
i have 5 set around a 200 acre lot they take great pics but this is my first year of using them so i dont really know about durability :cool:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am on my third one. They are alright for the money. They last about a season, eat batteries, and then the sensor goes out. I would rather save a little more and get a different one. The pictures are good though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
BowhunterNJ said:
Basically the results I've had with them leave little to be desired and I'd sooner invest $50.00 elsewhere and use a rock for a paper weight.

Some guys claim good results with them. I returned 2 and the 3rd one was just as bad. I've watched deer stand 5 feet in front of the camera for over an hour with a fresh set of batteries and plenty of film, and not one picture taken. Similar situations happened with all 3. Tested the batteries after inspecting the unit, they were fine. Film was loaded fine. Problem is likely the sensor blowing goat chunks.

So either I'm the most unlucky S.O.B. on the planet (quite possible) or these are a P.O.S. I vote for P.O.S. but do know some people have had better results...somehow.
If you were using fuji film that is the problem. We always use kodak 200 speed film and they do fine.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
i'm using one right now.takes good pics. Obviously doesn't have the options some of the others do, but it most certainly works good. I'm on my second season with it, good on batteries. It takes better pics at night than my buddies digital 300.00 one.
I will say that I have spent enough on film and developing to buy a digital by now. My next one will be digital for sure. The ease of checking whats on it and just erasing bad pics is worth every penny.
Bryan

1 - 20 of 46 Posts