Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2017 Hoyt Pro Defiant 34 with 50-60 lb draw weight. Is that weight sufficient for big bull elk?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes. Use good sharp cut on contact broad head and you will have no problems. Killed numerous elk shooting 58 pounds with Magnus Stingers.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yes. Use good sharp cut on contact broad head and you will have no problems. Killed numerous elk shooting 58 pounds with Magnus Stingers.
Stingers are a great choice. I used a Solid 100 grain with .75” bleeders on my last archery bull. Stingers would have been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
How did the stinger hold up too a elk sir?

That's the head I plan on changing over too for my elk hunt I'm planing for next year.

The guide I spook with said my 62# DNA with a hair over 27 1/2 draw should be fine as long as my arrow is around 400 to 450 grains.

Sorry about jacking your post figured I would ask here might help us both.

·
Registered
207 Posts
They hold up great. I have shot 2 bulls and 2 cows with stingers. I just trust them and they fly great out of my bow. In our camp we have guys using Stingers, Muzzy, and good old Thunderheads. All have killed elk when you put em where you should. I would not recommend shooting any expandable on elk. I have personally tracked way to many elk that were never recovered and we have a no expandable rule in our camp.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I should also say this past year we helped a guy pack out an elk shot with slick tricks. I believe he was shooting a 60 pound bow and got a complete pass through. There's just a lot of quality cut on contact broad heads out there that will do the job for you when shooting a 50-60 pound bow.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I should also say this past year we helped a guy pack out an elk shot with slick tricks. I believe he was shooting a 60 pound bow and got a complete pass through. There's just a lot of quality cut on contact broad heads out there that will do the job for you when shooting a 50-60 pound bow.
Yea I use trick standards now and love them also have montec cs and thunderheads my bow shoots them all with feild points just really like looks of the stingers.

Have too get me some and play around with them this summer.

Thanks for the info sir.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,227 Posts
Sure it is. The broad heads you select and arrow weight dramatically unlock any bows potential. Many people just look at draw weight as the key and that's a big mistake. Setup is key and that can vary depending on many things other than bow weight alone.

That's why women and kids kill Elk too.......but the less energy you have the more you should look at your setup.

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,600 Posts
In serious trad circles elk bows start at 50#... and that's recurves and longbows. Shoot a good fixed or coc head and a 400+ gr arrow. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
11,441 Posts
[email protected] recurve, 60# Compound has done just fine for me. near 500gr arrow & 3 blade fixed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to hear. Ya based off all of my research it seems this bow will be just fine. Get some good arrows and broadheads and good to go.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yes.....with the following caveats:

Shot placement and cut on contact broad heads.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
I shoot 53 or 58 draw weight depending on bow. No issues, I think I would cap my range at 55-60 yards though. Have never had to shoot that far yet.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Stingers are a great choice. I used a Solid 100 grain with .75” bleeders on my last archery bull. Stingers would have been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elders has solid broad heads on sale for I believe 63.00 or right around there, seen them there this am.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Ever wonder if Indians discussed having enough KE, FOC, etc?
You ever seen an Indian bow?
And, those crooked arrows?
Probably why they ran stuff off cliffs to kill it... ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts