Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back into the sport and I could use an opinion or two.I have a 2009 PSE X-Force with GX cams, #11 896 limbs ( 50-60 lb ). I shoot everyday to condition muscle and work towards better, more precise control/accuracy. Managed to work up to 60 lb and I'm considering stepping up to the #15's ( 60-70 lb). Is there a difference in the efficiency/accuracy of a bow cranked all the way down and one that is just getting into it's poundage range. The previous owner gave me 2 sets of # 15's with the purchase. The Macho-Man in me wants to put the new limbs on. But I have put a ton of time in tuning and adjusting. I hate to change and find it's just not the same bow anymore. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
The manufacturers will tell you a bow is most efficient maxed out. Most here will tell you it's not much difference if any.

I've shot my bows maxed and halfway and couldn't tell a difference.

How old are you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
58, had a couple of bears in my teens. Just picked it back up this winter. Great stuff, don't know why I quit.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Id say keep the 60# limbs on it and keep other set for spares.

·
Registered
19,121 Posts
As to what is better, maxed out or set to what ever you want....it doesn't matter if you're well tuned. There is some truth to the efficiency issue with backing limbs out but you're only talking about maybe 2% and if you're shooting light arrows the point is moot (light arrows are less efficient than heavy arrows).

a good way to screw up good form is to go heavier DW. Remember it's not how much weight you can pull but what you can control. I can easily shoot 65-70# but shoot 47#...I'll never get tired even after 200 shots but the heavier weight just isn't fun shooting that much.

If you want the heavier limbs put them on but only do so if you simply want them, not because it's necessary for hunting, efficiency or accuracy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You Gentlemen:
I think we'll leave it just the way it is. It has been a challenge to get it as accurate and reliable as I've come to know it. I really didn't look forward to starting over on the dial in process. Thanks Again...

·
Registered
395 Posts
I shoot both. Having just realized a lifelong dream come true I got my first bow about 8 months ago; a Bear Domain 70#>60#. My muscles failed after 3-4 arrows and it was hard holding steady. I then knew I'd over bowed; a newbie error. I bought a PSE Prophecy 60#>45# and started shooting at 10-12 ends at about 50# and 15 yards. The last four months I'm shooting two different 70# bows at 64# and my PSE in maxed out at 60#. I ususally warm up with it for 10-12 ends, then pick up my Bear Anarchy for another 5-6 ends before I'm toast and can't even draw another arrow. That's my meditative workout and it's built muscle groups I forgot I had. I'm standing an inch taller and my posture is excellent. It's vigorous, but it works. I train on my bicycle the same way; warm up six minutes then jump out of the saddle and hammer six minutes, then recovery spin six and repeat six to eight on the ride out. Workout is over when I am DONE, then jump a la-di-da back. It's called intervals. Push the envelope past the burn and gain fast. Take two days of rest from it and go again.
The 63 year old NEWBIE,
Charlie Coyote

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm with you Sir! I absolutely hate working out, but I will shoot these bow's until I'm noodle-armed. I would compare a good shot to ripping the net playing basketball. I can't get enough of it. As to the original post, I'm going to leave the X-Force alone ( maxxed out ) and I'm going to look for another bow with 70 lb limbs. Thanks to all for the responses!

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
I'm with you Sir! I absolutely hate working out, but I will shoot these bow's until I'm noodle-armed. I would compare a good shot to ripping the net playing basketball. I can't get enough of it. As to the original post, I'm going to leave the X-Force alone ( maxxed out ) and I'm going to look for another bow with 70 lb limbs. Thanks to all for the responses!
Save your shoulder and stay with 60#.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Getting back into the sport and I could use an opinion or two.I have a 2009 PSE X-Force with GX cams, #11 896 limbs ( 50-60 lb ). I shoot everyday to condition muscle and work towards better, more precise control/accuracy. Managed to work up to 60 lb and I'm considering stepping up to the #15's ( 60-70 lb). Is there a difference in the efficiency/accuracy of a bow cranked all the way down and one that is just getting into it's poundage range. The previous owner gave me 2 sets of # 15's with the purchase. The Macho-Man in me wants to put the new limbs on. But I have put a ton of time in tuning and adjusting. I hate to change and find it's just not the same bow anymore. Any thoughts?
I was thinking it's time for you to go to a bow shop and pull some.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're right. Up to this point, I have been wading, if you will. I have 3 bows, all of which are off the most wanted list but still good bows. If I drop a nice chunk of change on a new bow, I want to feel it's a good ,if not great choice. So I'm still checking out what's out there before I Dive In. The Dream Season Decree is at the top of the list.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do you still have a spare set of 70# limbs? Would you be willing to part with them?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I agree with the rest of the guys here. Save your shoulder and shoot more with less pain. 60# is still plenty capable of lethal carnage. Enjoy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't over look the PremonitionHD. I have a 60# model and it pulls more like a 50# bow. That and it's IBO is 345 and at only $600 (cheaper if you shop a little like I did. $550) it won't hurt your wallet like the $1000 bows will and it's still a pro series bow.

2015 PSE PremonitionHD w/a 27in. Draw and set at 60# HHA Single Pin Sight With Deer Crossing Arrows cut to 26" and tipped with a 2 inch 2 Blade 100 grain SWHACKER!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts