Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a bit of information on getting a 50# bow. Due to past sports injuries that at 41 years old are starting to catch up to me I am considering getting a nice lighter pull bow that I can shoot comfortably. What I am looking for is info as to the bows I should consider and then I will try to shoot them to make a decision. This is for shooting targets and 3d not for hunting. Any advise would be appreciated. Bow would be a 28-29" draw depending on the bow. Thanks.

· Registered
296 Posts
I put 50# limbs on my Bullet X so I could start shooting after shoulder surgery with all intentions of putting the 70# back on as my shoulder got stronger. But after getting a set of Easton Lightspeeds and shooting it though the Chronograph and getting 289 fps out of 50# the lighter limbs are staying on.

· Registered
8,652 Posts
50# Bow

I have a few minor draw shoulder issues and I am shooting a Hoyt 737 at 50# with no pain at all even shooting 150 arrows per day during field season. The cam and half plus pulls very smooth with a slow ramp up and very good speed. Stay away from bows that pull hard right off of brace. Another good bow for this is the Conquest 4 with the mini max cam. Good luck.
Jbird

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Excellent info. Thanks for your time. Any others out there I should consider?
since you chose the RIGHT team to like there in the valley of the sun:) ill put in my 2 cents. Ive been shooting off and on for 18 yrs -i,m 40 now- and ive never been able to draw back more than 60 pds. my 2 bows i have are both set around 52-53 pounds and they are very smooth to shoot but the smoothest bow i ever pulled back was the diamond black ice i was pulling closer to 58 pounds but it felt much lighter

· Registered
1,154 Posts
If I were to put new limbs on my DLD would I need new cables asn string and such as well od will it all transfer over? Thanks again guys.
if you like the LD then its cheaper to buy limbs for it course i got me a new bow for the same price as limbs woo hoo

· Registered
565 Posts
I shoot a 07 Guardian at 53lbs and can reach 100yards with no problem.
Also I have a 98 Sceptre 2 at 51 lbs which reaches 100yrds.
My friend shoots a 07 Allegiance at 48lbs and reaches 100yards with ease.
His wife is 70years old and shoots a old Merlin Max 2000 at 27lbs (yes 27lb) and can put 6 arrows in the middle at 80yards!!!
Why can she do this,because she is a good archer with a lot of experience to call on.
Most modern bows are good enough to to the job with 50lbs when matched with the correct arrows,points and fletches.
In FITA target rules it is 60lbs MAX.
It you shoot a lighter weight it makes life easier when you shoot 144 arrows in a FITA tournament.
You do not need massive weights----its skill that counts, not brute strength.
I can see the use of high weight in a hunting senario but for target use,no way.

Good luck
Nightimer

· Registered
23 Posts
with surgery two years ago, I've been shooting a XForce 7 at 47#. Love it, shoots straight and fast. I'll probalby crank it to 50+ at the end of the season, but I've been elk hunting and deer (pass though on first deer) so I feel its plenty of KE. 430 gr arrow with Montec broadheads. David

· Registered
1,326 Posts
try the hoyt scearies the katera is a grate bow. if u r looking for a new one wat till the 09s come out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.