Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to purchase a new bow that will max out at 50 lbs. for 3-D's. I know I can get an arrow light enough to get the speeds I want but would 50 lbs. be good enough for shooting an American round? Or would I need a little more poundage for something like that to fight bad wind conditions or am I just concerned about something I shouldn't be?

·
Registered
49,210 Posts
50# is plenty. Just know your bow and yardage. Above all have fun. I only shoot 50# to 55# for everything and there is no problem.:)

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
50 lbs is plenty to shoot A600/A900 rounds. The diameter of your arrow will play a much larger role in dealing with wind than the speed of the bow. That's why you see most Field/FITA shooters using ACC/ACE/Nano type arrows.

Heck we have Field shooters (out to 80 yards) that shoot 40 lbs.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
50lbs is plenty for any kind of target shooting. It's even plenty for most of the game hunting in North America. The only exceptions possibly being the really large game.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I shoot 58# for all my target/ 3D but 64# for hunting. The two guys I shoot 3D with are pulling 48# so 50# is just fine.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
50lb

i only shoot 46lbs and look at my signature, I actually have to slow it down for the ASA'S

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
I only shoot 42# due to some temporary (I hope) physical problems. Set up at 26.5" draw and shooting 5 gr/lb the arrow is clocking 275 fps. Plenty for most shooting. On the other hand, for fixed or known distances speed is not an issue in any way.

There is another advantage that some ego-maniacs don't think about. My arrows are w whole lot easier to pull from foam targets.

You are much better off to shoot a draw weight you can handle with confidence than to overbow yourself in some unnecessary quest for more speed or kinetic energy.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I shoot around 56lbs and its plenty. Easier on my shoulder than my 70lb hunting bow. You will be satisfied in the long run.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I swapped out my 70# limbs for a set of 50# limbs on my GX and it shoots allot better than before. 50 is plenty and it makes you a better shooter and yardage estimator as well. Have fun

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
ok, lets put this into some perspective..........

you're worried about shooting a 50lb compound in the open, right?

ever think about how much more difficulty a recurve shooter has with their gear and NO mechanical advantage?

the answer to your question is PLENTY

·
Registered
49,210 Posts
I only shoot 42# due to some temporary (I hope) physical problems. Set up at 26.5" draw and shooting 5 gr/lb the arrow is clocking 275 fps. Plenty for most shooting. On the other hand, for fixed or known distances speed is not an issue in any way.

There is another advantage that some ego-maniacs don't think about. My arrows are w whole lot easier to pull from foam targets.

You are much better off to shoot a draw weight you can handle with confidence than to overbow yourself in some unnecessary quest for more speed or kinetic energy.
Hey Barry I don't think they consider age a temporary physical problem, that's pretty much permanent. LOL:eek:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
At my local archery shop , I am oftem remindede that the proprioter's first wife often did well when they shot 3-d and she shot just 28 lbs. She had no problem reaching out to an elephant target that was set at 106 yards out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Native people have been taking game for 1000s of years with bows that I'm sure were less then 40lbs.
Most state minimums for draw weight for deer is 40lbs.
I shoot 50-55 in recurve and longbow and 55-60 on my Compound.
Getting older, the 70lbs is just too much for my shoulder after 40+years of archery practice!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I turn 51 in about two weeks an after shooting for 30 years the old shoulder is starting to grind a little now. Still doing fine with the 60 lb. bows but after messing around with 50 lbs. the other day that's when I started to think that the ease of draw at 50 might be a better way of going for 3-D. That's why I started this thread.

·
Normal is Boring
2,088 Posts
One thing that people don't seem to relize is if you match the arrows to your draw weight there is very little difference in speed between a 50 and 60 or 70lb bow. Last year I shot a 50lb Constitution with Victory X-Ringers all year long, both indoor and out. I only had issues on one occasion and that was a gusting cross wind that was effecting everyone that shot that target.
I say shoot whats comortable to you.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I shoot an Elite GT500 at 54lbs & get 305 with my 3-D arrows. So I would say you are good with 50 for 3-D. I also hunt with it using 340gr arrows @ 283fps with 60+ KE. Plenty for most american big game.

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
In my tourny days (70s80s) I shot perfect NFAA field & animal rounds in all kinds of weather with a 38 pound 70" recurve & fingers...

won 4 state championships & 1 Great lakes Sectional.

50# Compound should be MORE than sufficient. Good Luck...

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Hey Barry I don't think they consider age a temporary physical problem, that's pretty much permanent. LOL:eek:
Dale,

You better wuit picvking on me. I got feelings, too----LOL Besides, I'll be 63 the end of June. To me age is just like draw weight. It's just a number. I do have to admit, though, that my body doesn't always agree with my mind.

On a serious note, I had a problem a couple years ago called "Acute Brachial Plexus Neuritis". Lost about 40% of my muscle mass in the left arm and shoulder area. Still slowly recovering, but seem to have leveled off for the time being.

Thanks for the humor. It's always appreciated.

Barry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts