Archery Talk Forum banner

50 meter scores

1180 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Hollywood
I've been noticing a trend in FITA scores where there is a drop in points for 50 meters. Is it simply because 50 meters usually takes place after lunch? After reading about the stamina of the Korean shooters, I wonder if they even stop for lunch. :)
BTW, It's great to see Justin Huish back!
Welshman
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,944 Posts
Boltsmyth is right if you look at the record books 50m is very close to 70m in most classes. My worst distance is 50m this year and it is about 20 points lower than my 70m score but I am working to remedy that. I think 50m is oft neglected by some archers.

· Registered
9,219 Posts
I practice my 70 meter and 50 meter on the 80 cm face. This helps me when I get to 70 meter on the 120 face. I feel that when I shoot on a 120 face at 70 meters I get sloppy with my shooting.

LeEarl

· Registered
6,681 Posts
Many FITA's are shot over a 2 day period (Trials being one of the exceptions for example) now: 1st day 90m and 70m, 2nd day 50m and 30m. So I tend to doubt that stamina has anything to do with things.

As noted, target size is a big reason. Seems some just find it easier to execute the shot on the larger target face used at 70m than the smaller one used at 50m. Less perceived motion in their scopes/rings, etc. on the large face at 70m than the smaller target face at 50m. More relaxed shooting, better able to hold at least 9's at 70m w/ some 10's tossed in for good measure. Get the slightest bit uptight on the smaller face at 50m and you're looking at 7's and 8's real easy!

Another reason you'll see some difference is due to weather. The windier (not that the wind ever blows during a FITA round, right, lol! :D) it gets the harder it is to hold yellow at 50m compared to 70m. Seems you've got a little more "forgiveness" due to the larger target size at 70m than you do at 50m when trying to shoot in windy, gusty weather. Granted you'll have more wind drift at the longer distance, but imagine a gust which hits you knocking your bowarm straight left, say 5", and the release picks that exact moment to go off (like there's any other time for the release to occur, hah!). That 5" at 70m still equates to yellow, at 50m you're already looking red.

Anyway, just a couple more reasons for some of the disparity. Top level archers, in calm conditions, 70m and 50m scores are usually pretty close and sometimes even better at 50m just because it is closer.

>>------->

· Registered
1,783 Posts
2 days to do a FITA? :eek: WUSSES! If there's only a few of you, you can get it done before lunch! :)

I read on another board that generally, score distributions go 90m = 23%, 50m=70m= 25%, 30m = 27% of your score. (This is for 1225-1300ish, as calculated by Angus Duggan)

· Registered
410 Posts
CHPro,
I agree the wind may have something to do with it. Being an old sea captain, I have observed that the wind will pick up as the sun starts it's decent in the afternoon. Usually about the time that a one day FITA starts the 50m round. Also a full gut will get ya every time. And, the dot on your lens has a larger perceived area to float around in than on the 70m target.

· Registered
157 Posts
By my calculations, a 1000 FITA would on average be: 197 at 90M, 248 at 70M, 248 at 50M, and 307 at 30M. That is: 19.7%, 24.8%, 24.8%, 30.7%.
These are taken from a great deal of modelling work on scores over quite a few years from World and Australian Championship results, modelling the archer's groups as a Normal Distribution. A 1300 FITA would on average be 307+324+325+349.
A 1350 FITA would on average be 320+337+337+356.
A 1400 FITA would on average be 339+350+351+360.
Archery Australia has used this modelling of archer's group sizes to be able to compare scores from one round to another and from one distance to another. I have a Visual Basic program that lets you input a score for a particular round and it will give you an index showing the rating of the score and the average score at each of the distances.

· Registered
526 Posts
James.

With all due respect to your method of calculating this distribution (by using the past few years’ results from World and Australian Championships), I realize that not all archers who attend World Championships are of “World Class”. After all, I found myself there at one time. I think that if you do a breakdown of these results by the archer’s ability (one could use the FITA average as an estimate of this) you would find that as the archer’s ability increases, the distribution of scores changes somewhat. For the “top” shooters, there is going to be a greater percentage of the points coming from the 90m distance and lesser percentage coming from the 30m distance (as compared with what you have shown). It will be closer to what Shirt posted above, as that was for a shooter of the 1225-1300 FITA ability.

I have no doubt that your calculations are accurate if taken as the average of all shooters at these events, and especially as an average of all shooters in general. If you do a breakdown of the top 20 archers from the World Team Trials that are going on in the US right now, it is as follows: 23.1%, 25.1%, 24.7%, and 27.1%. If you go down the list, the proportions change a bit, with a greater percentage of the score coming at 30m. I do realize this is a very small sample.

I think it is really interesting that you’re doing these analyses. All that I’m saying is that I think it is important to regress the ability of the archer on the distribution. A bit of a different picture emerges from this. For myself, I think it has been interesting to track my changes from when I first began shooting until now – granted it hasn’t been a long time, but the change in the proportion of scores coming from each distance is quite eye-opening.

-peace,
Hollywood
:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.