Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Something to consider: Depending on your draw length you may not be able to achieve a 50 lb draw weight from a 50 pound peak draw weight bow. The same applies to a 60 lb. peak weight bow. Taking this into consideration, I'd choose a 60 lb. peak weight bow. You can always turn the poundage down if you need to. You will will also probably find that th extra speed that a 60 lb. bow provides will be an advantage on the longer distance 3D shots.

·
Registered
21,069 Posts
CWD -

Try this, shoot a standard indoor NFAA round, 60 arrows, which ever bow gives you the best score, use :rolleyes: .

Seriously, actually that was serious.

#50 is more than enough for most matches, so it's not a weight thing. Which ever bow makes you feel more confident, use. If you think the (possible) extra spped/(possible) flatter trajectory will help, use the #60. If you think you can shoot the #50 more comfortably use that.

Get it?

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
It really depends on you.

I am sure you can pull and hold 60# just fine, but how steady are you?
Shoot whatever you are most comfortable with pulling. An extra 20fps increase in speed means nothing if you can't hit what you are aiming at.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I would go with the 60 lb peak weight but would keep it at the low limit. As you will be more in tune for shooting indoors and can hold longer.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
Any bow tends to perform a little better when limb bolts are bottomed out. As above, speed doesn't mean a thing when you're not in the x or 12.

Find a weight you can "hold". I mean hold dead still. Doesn't matter what everybody else does. Shoot what feels good to you.

Best of luck.:cool:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Eat your wheaties, do some push-ups and buy a 70#er!;)
Shoot whatever you can stack arrows with. Nothing I hate to see more than an overbowed archer strugling with his/her equipment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can't fall in love

Hey, I am sort of going through something that may help you.
I am switching from a Mathews to Hoyt just for target. I fell in love with shooting 56 lbs of draw weight. I was shooting 282 fps. with my set up(Mathews Q2XL, 298 grain arrow). I like that low draw weight, but now that I am switching bows things are changing. In order to get the speed I want I may have to go up to 58, 59, or 60 lbs to get that speed. Or shoot a super light arrow which may cost a lot. So, what I am getting at is you can't and I am saying this firmly, ever have it all in archery at this time in history. You may have to sacrifice something to get something else. What you need to determine is what is most important to you. I can't answer that for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts