Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 373 Posts

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a couple of the Wildgame Innovation 1.3 cameras from Wal-Mart, because at $50 I just couldn't help myself. I had read that they were a little battery hungry, so I wired them to 6v rechargable Moultrie batteries ($10 battery, $2 worth of wire connectors, an old extension cord, and about 15 minutes) I messed with them a little bit before putting them out and they seemed to work fine. I was really impressed with the trigger speed (under 2 seconds) for such a cheap camera. I checked one today after a week in the woods and it had 215 pictures on it. Not a single white out, and I was actually impressed at the picture quality. It was right there with the Moultrie D-40 I used to have, and better than my old Wildview 2's. So far, I really like these cameras. Last year the consensus was that the WGI cams were junk, but this year it looks like a complete 180 turnaround.

If anybody needs help wiring any of the WGI cameras to an external battery, just shoot me a PM. Here are some of the pics from the first week.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
They work great for a cheap cam I have had nothing but good luck from mine and the price is great :thumbs_up

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Yep. So far, so good. Are you running yours with rergular C batteries? If so, what kind of battery life are you getting out of it?
I did what you did, I ran a cord down the tree into a black coffee can with a small hole in the lid and to a 6v batt works real well and keeps the rain and weather out.

·
Registered
489 Posts
mine works great too...but got about 200 pics before the batteries went dead

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first thing you do is open the camera and take the C batteries out. Next take a phillips screwdriver and remove the 4 screws that hold the camera housing and the board together.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
wow that looks pretty cool. The kinda thing you might put out on public land so your not out so much when some one steels it. Not to mention the normal guy could buy a few without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
How long run time do you get with the C batts , 2wks, a month ?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Keep the instructions coming!! I was wanting to hook mine up to a solar panel if possible, but I might just go with the ext. battery idea!

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NOTE: Some of the wires inside the camera are not very long, so when you separate the board from the camera, don't yank it out. I just turn the board over and set it inside the front of the camera. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO PULL THE WIRES OUT OF THE BOARD.

Next, simply find the red and black wires that connect the board to the + and - battery terminals. Be sure not to use the single wire that just runs from the + on one side to the - on the other side (you should see what I mean when you look at it). The two wires that you use are very easy to find.

Simply cut them as far as you can from the board to give yourself as much wire as possible, and then connect them with wire connectors to the wires that you plan to wire to your external battery.

I am not sure about the 6.0MP, but all of the other cams run off 4-1.5 volt C batteries, which equals 6.0 operating volts. Be sure to use only a 6 volt battery and to pay close attention to the polarity. Make sure not to cross the + and - because it will surely fry the camera.I used Moultrie rechargable 6v batteries. They are only 5 ah batteries and run about $10. There are definitely better batteries out there, but I figure with 100-200 pictures per week, I should get 6-8 weeks between charges.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These 2 wires are the ones that need to be hooked to the power source, and are the only 2 wires that you will have to mess with inside the cam. You can also see them in the picture posted above.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the camera (on the back side) and ran the wires out of it. THIS WILL PROBABLY VOID THE WARRANTY ON YOUR CAMERA, but as long as you take your time and hook it up correctly, you should have no issues anyway.

I then took some weather adhesive and filled the hole so that ants and bugs could not get inside the camera. To hold the battery, I just bought a cheap tupperware container and spray painted it black.

I hope these instructions help, and if I can answer any questions or if I have forgotten anything, please let me know. Thanks, Jake.

Attachments

·
Banned
283 Posts
thanks for the post . saw these the other day and almost bought one but said for 50.00 ??? hummm probably junk seeing howthe ones i pay 300 for dont work

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
Last, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the camera (on the back side) and ran the wires out of it. THIS WILL PROBABLY VOID THE WARRANTY ON YOUR CAMERA, but as long as you take your time and hook it up correctly, you should have no issues anyway.

I then took some weather adhesive and filled the hole so that ants and bugs could not get inside the camera. To hold the battery, I just bought a cheap tupperware container and spray painted it black.

I hope these instructions help, and if I can answer any questions or if I have forgotten anything, please let me know. Thanks, Jake.
Did you cover the red and black wires with something? I expected to see red and black wires coming from the camera but they look tan with a white stripe. (?)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Great post! I wondered about these cameras and now I know. Thanks.:thumbs_up The pictures did turn out real nice considering the price. Probably have to pick 1 or 2 up.

1 - 20 of 373 Posts