Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to archery hunting coyotes, you gotta shoot to kill. Its tough enough to get them in range and harder to get off a shot; so when one presents itself, I feel like I gotta take it. Luck was definitely on my side for this Hail Mary shot.

Do you hold your shots on varmints to the same ethical standards as large game? Or do you take a shot if a varmint gives you a slight chance? The following video will show what I think about the issue!

Watch in high quality here: http://solvidsystems.com/videos/hunting/coyotes/pov-archery-coyote-hunt-50yd-on-the-run/

Or watch in YouTube quality here:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good shot but it looked like it was sitting still. I might of taken that shot in a heat of the moment.
He did stop for a second, then right before the shot he took off again. When the arrow hit him, he was definitely on the run, hence the roll. It is much more clear and slow in the replay. 50 yards is a poke for a POV video set up. Glad to hear you would have probably taken the shot as well.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
When it comes to archery hunting coyotes, you gotta shoot to kill. Its tough enough to get them in range and harder to get off a shot; so when one presents itself, I feel like I gotta take it. Luck was definitely on my side for this Hail Mary shot.

Do you hold your shots on varmints to the same ethical standards as large game? Or do you take a shot if a varmint gives you a slight chance? The following video will show what I think about the issue!

Watch in high quality here: http://solvidsystems.com/videos/hunting/coyotes/pov-archery-coyote-hunt-50yd-on-the-run/

Or watch in YouTube quality here:

My sight tape goes to 90 yards (as far as I can go without hitting the housing). For only one reason. I would never shoot that far at a game animal such as deer . But when the yotes are out the ethics police can take a hike. Gotta do anything you can to get rid of them

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
He'll, I've said it before. I'd wound a coyote without concern.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good work. I shoot when I can on dogs. What broadhead/arrow combination are you using? Mine are too expensive to take shots with very low probability of a hit and or finding the arrow.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
shoot, any distance I think I can get close without loosing my arrow, goodbye coyote

·
Liv4Rut
7,291 Posts
I have shot at plenty trotting through the woods. A coyote with a bow is 10 times harder than killing a deer. I am glad deer are not like coyotes because we wouldn't be killing many.

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
Yes on any nuisance or advasive species. Why? Cause either way they are either one over populated or two non diginous to the area (think hoggs).

So if its a bad shot, problem target dies, miss said species lives another day.

Ya I'm not a animal rights peta guy but also would not take that shot on any animal that was not over populated or a species killing land for native animals ect.

Ya i know all "animal's" but my "ethics as some say" are by what needs done for said area.

·
Banned
123 Posts
Do you hold your shots on varmints to the same ethical standards as large game?
Yes. If you are willing to take a risky shot at any animal and risk wounding it, you shouldn't be hunting. if you do not respect all wildlife, I'd be happy to see your hunting license revoked. Period.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If I thought I stood a chance at merely hitting it yes. I have no ethics for a coyote.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts