Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
53,812 Posts
60 yards at 55# doubt you will get a pass thru. If your whitetail hunting that is a long poke. Remember archery is a close encounter sport. It's also about accuracy and at 60 yards that spot gets substantially smaller.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shoot roughly 510gr to 535gr total arrow weight. In Australia we need to hunt on ground so we take advantage of modern or tried and true technology on goats euro deer and pigs.
Cheers for your response 👍

·
Registered
Elite Gt500, Elite Envy ×2, Elite Synx, Elite GTO
3,706 Posts
Good luck in your pursuit of getting a pass-through at 60 yards with that poundage. If you do by chance manage it let us all know how you defied physics.

·
Lowered expectations
19,291 Posts
How would that “defy physics”?

People who have measured arrow velocity change over distance have reported (depending on the mass of the arrow and fletching type) speed reduction on the order of 10 to 15% over ranges like that. I’m sure someone could easily check what arrow ballistics software says.

People have also reported pass-throughs on small deer with a 40# recurve.

I’m pretty confident that a hunting arrow 60 yards downrange shot from a 55# high-energy compound would be travelling faster than an arrow at close range shot from a 40# recurve.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck in your pursuit of getting a pass-through at 60 yards with that poundage. If you do by chance manage it let us all know how you defied physics.
Very true. At 60 yards it's a stretch. What weight and FOC would you recommend for a bow that shoots 340 IBO? 60lbs is the max I'd use. Thanks for your response 👍

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
What's your current set up; what's your success rate; where do you feel your current set up is lacking?

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Very true. At 60 yards it's a stretch. What weight and FOC would you recommend for a bow that shoots 340 IBO? 60lbs is the max I'd use. Thanks for your response
12 to 15 % foc and 460 to 500 grains with a very sharp fixed blade broadhead.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

People who have measured arrow velocity change over distance have reported (depending on the mass of the arrow and fletching type) speed reduction on the order of 10 to 15% over ranges like that. I’m sure someone could easily check what arrow ballistics software says.

I’m pretty confident that a hunting arrow 60 yards downrange shot from a 55# high-energy compound would be travelling faster than an arrow at close range shot from a 40# recurve.
Very true. Thank you for your response!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts

Go ahead and give it a try. Tell me the results afterwards.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Shooting 23% Foc 510gr complete arrow weight.
You ever hear the term diminishing returns? You actually can be too heavy or too light. At what weight do you think you will see diminishing returns at 55 lbs of draw weight?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's your current set up; what's your success rate; where do you feel your current set up is lacking?
V3X 29 [email protected] it loves heavier arrows and extreme accurate if you tune your arrows. Just wondering what other people who shoot 55lbs can consistently bag thicker skinned game at longer distances.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You ever hear the term diminishing returns? You actually can be too heavy or too light. At what weight do you think you will see diminishing returns at 55 lbs of draw weight?

510 grain total arrow weight widowmakers are killers out of my 55lb setup and very accurate.

·
"Shock n Awe"
4,535 Posts
I don't shoot game at long distance like you are asking but my 50-55# bows at my 29" draw shoots my 520gr arrow amazing out to 50yds. I'm not certain at 60yds that you should "expect" a pass through but it could happen.

Reactions: darras

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm shooting the easton sonic 6.0 350, this year, with 75grn insert, 100grn qad exodus, factory installed bully veins, no wrap, standard knocks , at 27.75" weighing 420grn, with 15.8% foc, hitting 270 out of my 55lb vertix at 29" draw. Should be a lethal setup for deer.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
6,212 Posts
Before I knew about FOC,
i was getting pass throughs at 50 yards with a 60lb 305 rated IBO bow with 375 gr arrows with Thunderheads
just a arrow with blazers, no added weight or anything, foc , what 8-10%?

I upgraded to 345 IBO bows at 50 lbs with 400 grain arrows, added 25 grains to the front , and getting pass throughs with Thunderheads, so now my foc may be 12%

buddy gets pass through with his 50lb Switchback shooting a easton 2020 (13.8 gpi) with a thunderhead and blazers

70lb 450 ibo 550 gr arrow with 20%foc to get a pass though, that's funny

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,911 Posts
I don't know about 60 yards but I'm shooting a 52# Halon 32 at 30.5" and a 3-49 acc with a 125 wasp Drone. I'd honestly shoot any deer sized animal at 60 if I felt the shot conditions were right. That said last season I killed 4 deer at the ranges of 12,15, 3,and 17 yards so long range for me is usually anything between 20-30.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts