Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
post pics and tell what game was taken with 55lb's or less. If less please tell what the draw weight was. Shoulder just isnt what it used to be thinking about hunting with 55lb. this year. Please dont let me go back to riffle hunting!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
And I have quite a few other kills with low-poundage recurves and longbows that I don't have on my puter

·
ebayuserid:hunting_par
1,473 Posts
My wife has her dxt set at 50 pounds. She killed a nice little 7 point buck last year that weighed around 200 pounds. It was her first ever bow kill.
50 pounds is enough draw weight to kill most animals. Hunting show hosts rarely shoot over 60 pounds. Tiffany Lakosky shoots like 45 pounds and I've watched her shoot caribou and elk. Also she is a 24 inch dl. With today's technology there is no need to shoot the heavy weights of the past if you don't want or can't. Hope this helps.
Here is the link to her deer:
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1043842

·
can I shoot it?
17,046 Posts
brides LX

My wife took a gemsbok on our honeymoon in South Africa. She was shooting a Mathews LX set at 48lb and has a 26.5in draw. She even got an exit hole. Using a heavy well constructed arrow and sharp conservitive broadhead like the Magnus stinger, NAP hellraiser, or similiar and 55# is plenty.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not to highjack, but i have been kick'n around if I should leave my bow at #52lbs or at least go up to #55 and stop there I don't think I need to go any higher..my DL is posted...

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
When I first turned 14 and became legal in NYS, I was shooting an old Steel cabled jennings T-hunter or something. Killed 3 deer in consecutive years with it at 20,25, and 17 yards shooting a 2016 with 145 grain head at 46 lbs and a whopping 187ish fps...The furthest one went about 75 yards (I hit a little too far forward and didn't get much penetration, musta clipped the shoulder on the way in)...Sorry I don't have any pictures available though...

·
Banned
2,877 Posts
Im going to a 50 lb. Alien X this year for all of my hunting.
Alot of popular hunters go to 50 lbs.
Ted Nugent,Dwight Schuh, Drury brothers.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I typically hunt with a 55lb or less if i need to. I can draw more weight but i don't want any shoulder issues as I age. I'm a 33 year old fit guy with a short draw of 26.5" i don't get a ton of speed but have killed numerous whitetail out to 41 yards with complete pass throughs with aluminum arrows too!!!:D As long as you have good arrows and killer broadheads you'll smoke everything. I would suggest a Stinger or Stinger Buzzcut, Phathead and or Slick Trick Standard and any G5 Montec or Striker. Well tuned awesome equipment and good shooting = Dead Animals and I like that!!! i know a lot of guys will disagree but my freezer is always full and that makes me a happy chef!!!:set1_cook2:

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I hunt whitetails with 55lbs and have no problem blowing through them. With today's bows, it's plenty. I had my 60lber maxed out, but turned it down because it felt so good and I was getting such good speed and KE.

·
Registered
69 Posts
PLENTY of weight

My recurves and longbows -- none of which is more than 50 lb -- shoot 100 fps slower than many compounds. No deer or member of the deer family has ever noticed the difference.

I do keep my compound (Hoyt Katera) at 60 lb. The only real advantage is a flatter trajector over a greater distance. No improvement in lethality.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
I have about a 26" draw and have been shooting 58-61 lbs. and zipping arrows through deer.

My 71 year old father has about a 27.25" draw shoots 50 or less and has no problem zipping arrows through deer. 100 grain Wasp Hammer SST's have been his poison of choice lately.

It's important to use a bow designed for a shorter draw. There can be a significant difference between a bow designed for 28.5" draw set on 26 inches and a bow designed to perform at 26 inches. 55 lbs. on modern bows is plenty for deer. I bet you can find a bow that will give you close to what you have in your sig using 55 lbs.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,680 Posts
Personally, I can't believe there still people out there that think they have to have excessive poundage to cleanly take game. Deer, Elk, Bear and probably ever animal on the North American Continent has been take with bows in the 40 pound range and a quite few animals with less than that.
Like firearms, arrow placement is everything.....

·
XX78 User
4,905 Posts
Personally, I can't believe there still people out there that think they have to have excessive poundage to cleanly take game. Deer, Elk, Bear and probably ever animal on the North American Continent has been take with bows in the 40 pound range and a quite few animals with less than that.
Like firearms, arrow placement is everything.....
I agree. Although I dropped my max poundage to 60, it is still overkill and I will probably end up shooting around 58 pounds or so.

·
Registered
616 Posts
i have killed rabits squirl and a hog with my compition bow its only a 48 lb draw. even in competition i see no point of going to 60 lb when my little 27 inch draw 48 lb draw with a 328 grain arrow will go all the way out to 90 meters with about another 20 more meters on the sight

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the posts guys! So I turned my 70 lb madness down three rotations from max I'm assuming I'm somewhere around the 60 lb mark. I didnt have a way to check it today. I can still go one more rotation according to the manual. My next question is, Should I go with the same weight of arrow that I'm shooting now(see sig) or should I drop down to the 3555's instead at the lower draw weight. the current weight of my arrow is 356 including 100 gr. tip. The 3555's would have me coming in at around 315 with 85 gr. tip. My primary concern is hunting. I'm thinking the heavier arrow may still get better penatration even though I will be loseing some arrow speed. Any opinions? See sig for current arrow speeds.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts