Archery Talk Forum banner

6” Dovetail on sight pros and cons

583 11
What are some of the pros and cons of using the sight all the way out or in on the dovetail, faster bow further out slower bows further in?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,391 Posts
Couple different reasons to run the dovetail bar all the way out or bring it in.

The further out, the longer your "sight radius" and potentially greater accuracy.

Another reason is to match up your scope ring with your peep sight.

If you're shooting a multi-pin scope on a dovetail, moving it farther out or bringing it in closer will change your pin gaps. I can't remember which direction does which, so I'm gonna forego giving incorrect info and leave it to someone else to clarify.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,222 Posts
Easy to adjust sight ring to fit in peep. Only con is maybe some extra weight.

In my shooting there is no accuracy difference (sight all the way in vs all the way out) for as good as I can shoot out to 150 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,518 Posts
I use a 6" dovetail on my MBG sight. The screw that sticks out of the dovetail mount limits the adjustability of my TS quiver. No big deal but it is a bit of an issue.

Positives already mentioned above.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

· Registered
15,911 Posts
The closer to the riser, the smaller pin gap and allows for further distance. The further out there is a potential for more accuracy but also more perceived pin float. The ability to adjust the fit of the scope ring in the peep is a plus.

Sent from my SM-G532M using Tapatalk

· Registered
22,936 Posts
Can also clear scope by moving it out at times.

Reactions: soldierarcher

· Registered
6,270 Posts
Been using a Sword Apex 3rd Plane that has a Dovetail set up and like some already mentioned plus for me I can get my Bow in the Hard Case because of the ability to slide it all the way in and all the way out when practicing and hunting. As more accurate as the pins are further out from you eye and makes the pin you are putting on the Target tighter to where You want to impact said target like a rifle iron sight.
It is a multi pin sight for me...
LFM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.