Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything about externals just for some reason I just don't get. This isn't an external question but wondering, instead of going out and getting one of the 6V "lantern" batteries for a Moultrie cam to put out, is there another way (I know there is but am dense right now) to get it, to be the battery running the cam? just as an example (and I know this wouldn't be the best way to do it but again as an example so I understand it) I have an 8 AA battery holder, 1.5v with 2 being "the same" so 8 AA actually = 6 volts? Am I just really being stupid right now? Just really having a brain fart.:confused:

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you have an 8AA battery holder, and you want it to put out 6 volts, I would think there is a way to do that. I think you kind of alluded to the answer in your post. By connecting two AA's in parallel, you will have 1.5 volts. Then, by connecting four pairs of them in series (each pair connected in parallel), you will have a final output of 6 volts. You will probably have to do some creative work within the battery holder by using jumpers to get the desired parallel/series configuration mentioned above, but I would think it could be done. Use a volt meter to confirm your results when you are done modifying the battery holder.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, what I was refering to is RS #270-387B. It is an 8 AA battery holder with 4 on each side (4 on front, 4 on back but is a 1 pc. holder). If 4 AA in parallel = 3 volts (this is the link to put the 4 AA into parallel http://www.chasingame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7048 ) then wouldn't using the 8 AA holder without doing anything to it = 6V? Guess that is where I am being dense. Just measured the 4 AA holder (with no modification) and got 6 volts so guess maybe answered my own question? I guess I was thinking that in an 8 AA holder that 4 are + and 4 are - so that would be 6 volts (4 + in parallel and 4 - in parallel to equal 6 volts but guess that would be 12 volts). I'M SO CONFUSED! lol
Have the batteries charging so guess after church and visiting mom I'll just try it out. If you hear a big boom you know I screwed up!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Nope, he converted that 4AA holder from 6v to 3v. You could do the same with the current setup down to 6, but you would have to split them and splicing in 2 wires.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,474 Posts
Yep

Nope, he converted that 4AA holder from 6v to 3v. You could do the same with the current setup down to 6, but you would have to split them and splicing in 2 wires.
good call Ron - there are certianly plenty of ways to get to 6volts.

Not sure why you would want to get it out of AA's unless you have an unlimited supply of them or limited space. You can actully get the 6volts by wiring any 4 batteries in the correct sequence (AA, C, or D's). You wouldn't need 8 of them. Some of the 4 AA's holders that Radio Shack sells are already wired that way.

Joe

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If 4 AA in parallel = 3 volts (this is the link to put the 4 AA into parallel http://www.chasingame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7048 ) then wouldn't using the 8 AA holder without doing anything to it = 6V?
have to split them and splicing in 2 wires.[/QUOTE]

Nope, he converted that 4AA holder from 6v to 3v. You could do the same with the current setup down to 6, but you would
This is what I did from the link.

Not sure why you would want to get it out of AA's unless you have an unlimited supply of them or limited space. You can actully get the 6volts by wiring any 4 batteries in the correct sequence (AA, C, or D's). You wouldn't need 8 of them. Some of the 4 AA's holders that Radio Shack sells are already wired that way.
Joe
I happen to have the holders and AA's here and first want to make sure I know what I'm doind. As to Radio Shack already selling them at 6V, guess that is another question, which one?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree. Your best bet is to get a holder that handles 4 C size batteries. You will get your 6 volts and have more stored energy. Its about the same size and around the same battery life due to the C's being bigger that the AA's. If you put alkaline batteries in parallel they will not drain at the same rate and try to charge the weaker ones. This will cause them to leak.

Hope this helps,
Nathan

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,474 Posts
Best advice

I agree. Your best bet is to get a holder that handles 4 C size batteries. You will get your 6 volts and have more stored energy. Its about the same size and around the same battery life due to the C's being bigger that the AA's. If you put alkaline batteries in parallel they will not drain at the same rate and try to charge the weaker ones. This will cause them to leak.

Hope this helps,
Nathan
Yet...

Joe

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, guess I'll just go and buy one of the 6V "lantern" type batteries (what I call them, the heavy rectangulst ones). Just wanted to TRY this with what I had here, AA's and AA holders. Thanks anyways.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still condused. Why not a 4 cell aa battery holder that is 6v.
Thanks, that's all I was trying to find out. I had made the 4 AA holder into 3V but wanted to make sure this is what I needed to do/have for the 6V. As I've said before, all I know about electrical stuff is that it bites.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just came across this post and am now confused? What is the advantage of changing the way your battery holders are wired to put out different voltages? Is this just a way to make your batteries last longer? Is this something you would only do if you were using all lithiums?

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Yes

yes but increasing the voltage passed what the cam is rated will burn up the cam. so if the camera is rated at 3-4.6 volts you must not go over 4.6 volts. So if you have your batteries in parallel you will keep the same voltage.

·
Registered
187 Posts
okay - so generally, the battery holders come wired in parallel so you are fine leaving them how they are...but for a camera that takes more voltage - is this necessary? Do you gain anything from it? I see guys doing this for p41s and p32s (converting the battery holders to 3v).

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
generally battery holders in excess of on battery are set up in a series. 2 batteries are 3v, 3 batteries are 4.5v; 4 batteries are 6v etc. You need one that will fit the votage of your camera. The modification comes in by taking an existing battery holder say a 4AA holder with is 6v modifying so that it runs at 3v. By doing this, you are decreasing the voltage, but increasing the mAh. Rule of thumb is batteries in series changes voltage, battereis in parallel change mAh.

·
Registered
187 Posts
so when adding externals - it's usually necessary to modify the battery holders?

I am building a few s40s with D-cell externals - the battery holders hold 2 D-cells. So do I need to modify these holders so that the batteries are are in parallel instead of a series?

Another question:

I noticed in the s40 manual it says that you cannot use lithiums with that camera - is this because they run at a higher voltage?

(I understand you can't mix lithiums with anything else)

Thanks for helping me understand all of this. I want to make sure and get it STRAIGHT.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts