Archery Talk Forum banner

6 volt rechargeable life span?

1156 Views 13 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  MNmike
I use the 6 volt rechargeable external batteries for my Bushnell cameras. I've had a couple take a dump on me recently and was wondering what the life span is for them.

Thanks.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,391 Posts
I use them in my feeder, the first 1 lasted 10 months, hope i get the same out of the next 1

· Registered
2,313 Posts
Feeders theyll last a long time, months. but in my cams, only about a wk 1/2 as for life of batt, I would say mine lasted 6 months of biwkly use, I really thought it would have been alot more when I bought them.

· Registered
2,587 Posts
I'm lucky to get a week out of mine.....that is why I sold my camera.....bought a wal-mart cheapo special using 4 c batteries and it lasts longer than the $$$$$$$$ one.....go figure.....pain in my @$$.......

· Registered
5,341 Posts
I've read your post a couple of times and think you are asking about how long the battery will last, not it's capacity.

I have 6V rechargeable batteries that are three years old and still have full capacity.

They provide about two months of power in my Muoltrie(sp) Camera and several months in a feeder.

Very cold weather will effect the capacity (lowers it) and if allowed to discharge completely will freeze and the battery will be useless (do not leave it out all winter in a cold climate).

· Registered
2,313 Posts
I've read your post a couple of times and think you are asking about how long the battery will last, not it's capacity.

I have 6V rechargeable batteries that are three years old and still have full capacity.

They provide about two months of power in my Muoltrie(sp) Camera and several months in a feeder.

Very cold weather will effect the capacity (lowers it) and if allowed to discharge completely will freeze and the battery will be useless (do not leave it out all winter in a cold climate).
How do you get 2 mo. from a moultrie cam the best Ive ever got was 2 wks
and ive got 4 of them going steady pre season.

· Registered
5,341 Posts
How do you get 2 mo. from a moultrie cam the best Ive ever got was 2 wks
and ive got 4 of them going steady pre season.
I have done nothing but set the camera up and use it.

My Moultrie is an older one Model SDG-200, 3.1 Megipixel. I set it to the Standard 640 X 480 Imiage Quality, higher settings will not last that long and standard is all I need (don't make prints larger than 4"X6".

It will operate with this setting using a standard dry cell battery for about 5-6 weeks and much longer with the rechargeable. I have never run it compleely down (check it every week and replace/recharge when it reads 20%. Also last longer durring the summer months.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
Ive always run mine on high image so that must be the diff. I cant get but 1 1/2 wk out of mine. I got the same cams as you. Ill give it a try, man this site just keep paying off learn somethn new all the time. As far as my recharge batts. go I bought six about 8-9 month ago had to quit using they wont take a charge any more most theyll take is 4.6v wont fully charge, I put a meter on while charging charger works good just thought they would have lasted longer. Even tried the solar charger routte no dice maybe a bad batch I duno.

· Registered
5,341 Posts
As far as my recharge batts. go I bought six about 8-9 month ago had to quit using they wont take a charge any more most theyll take is 4.6v wont fully charge, I put a meter on while charging charger works good just thought they would have lasted longer.
Any chance that you may have over charged them? Any lead acid battery that has been over charged will lose it's capacity.

What kind of meter did you use, Volt meter or amp meter? If it was a volt meter you should read a approx. 7V while charging (will come down to a Little over 6V when fully charged) and amp meter should read 650-750Mha.

If you are reading less than this (volt meter) either that battery is defective or the charger is. If the amp meter is reading more than the battery is defective or the wrong charger.

I do not charge until the battery is low (4V) and then put it on charge for 20 hours (no longer). I am assuming that you are using the charger that is meant for the battery, 6V @600-700 Mah (6/10 to 7/10 of an amp) and not an auto or motorcycle charger which will over charge.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
Im using the 6v charger that moultrie sells + ive got another 6v charger that came with an old feeder both show they put out just under 7v which should be adaquate but the batts themselves will only take about 4.6v no matter how long you leave it on. as I have left it on for 2 wks check it daily with my fluke multi meter. I dont belive theyve been over charged as the only charger they have been on was either the 110v/6v moultrie or the solar until now.
One of them stayed in one of my feeders for a while then feeder was damaged so I began using in my cammeras, none will now hold charge over 4.6v if you put them in cammera its about 60% batt. and cammera wont operate. dont know if I should try new ones or just use the bunnys, I should get more time now that Ill be using standard image , never thought about it taking more power. Thanks for the info.

· NAASP
16,075 Posts
rechargeable

I bought a 6v from barreties plus, their brand and a matching charger. I can get the voltage up, but the Ah is isn't there. That after not even 1 year.

If I charge it up and leave it unhooked it will drain to near zero, so it must have a internal resistive short in it.

But before that, I would get about 2 weeks depending on # of pix. And that was when it was warm out.

I'm much happier now with the Sony homebrews I built.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.