Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a bow from a person on this awesome website. In the thread, he stated the bow was 60 to 70 lb draw weight. The strings are literally crap. The servings can be pulled apart and are not tight at all to the string. It was recently put on a scale and said 52lbs. Did I just screwed by this guy, or can strings really get that bad?

·
(aka lug nut)
49,643 Posts
I recently bought a bow from a person on this awesome website. In the thread, he stated the bow was 60 to 70 lb draw weight. The strings are literally crap. The servings can be pulled apart and are not tight at all to the string. It was recently put on a scale and said 52lbs. Did I just screwed by this guy, or can strings really get that bad?

What bow?

If you measure the ATA
and
if you take a photo of the entire bow, sitting on the floor..

then,
we can look at the cam starting rotation position.

If the ATA is close to factory spec,
but,
if the bowstring is really short,
then,
the draw weight can drop quite a bit, maybe 5-10 lbs max,
and
we can see by the cam starting rotation position.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Im no expert but id say the string was to long. I have a bow that sat in an attack for ten plus years and i wondered if the heat messed with the limbs.. It maxed out in the normal range.
Like stated above you really need to know if the a 2 a is close to what it is supposed to be or not. from the post about the strings being crap id bet its the strings are more than likely to long. Most the time it is within a few pounds and if it was three pounds over or under ive heard that is when some guys twist or untwist strings to get it closer.
It is important that you do not try to add so many twists in this case to get the poundage back... Thats way UNSAFE. Id say like above.. Check a to a length and see if its right. If it is something else is wrong. If its long by an inch you need strings and cables one inch shorter.
My problem is the other way... My 70# bow maxes out at 77 # but i wouldnt draw it again till i got close to two turns back out on each limb... 71-72 is fine on a 70 i would think but thats getting close to pushing my luck.
Good luck with your bow maybe its as i imagine... Bum strings. Could be a simple fix.
Hope its not something dangerous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a bowtech 82nd airborne (2008). The ATA is 36.5 inches just like its sussposed to be. I measured from center of top cam to center of bottom cam and it came out right. I'm buying new strings for it and should be here by early next week. I was just drawing the bow back about 10 minutes ago and the string rolled off the bottom cam. Pretty scary stuff.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,643 Posts
Its a bowtech 82nd airborne (2008). The ATA is 36.5 inches just like its sussposed to be. I measured from center of top cam to center of bottom cam and it came out right. I'm buying new strings for it and should be here by early next week. I was just drawing the bow back about 10 minutes ago and the string rolled off the bottom cam. Pretty scary stuff.
That is called a DRY FIRE.

So,
you need to take the bow into a pro shop
and it needs a COMPLETE tear down,
so that all the parts can be checked for FLATNESS (cams)
and for straightness (axles),
and checked for limb damage (splinters, cracks, fractures, etc).

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I'd start with a good set of string/cables. The limbs should say what poundage they are, if not, recheck after you replace the string/cables.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I wish people would realize , if it looks like a violent act is going on when you draw your bow back . Your over bowed , that means you can't handle the draw weight . Stay safe everyone :rolleyes:

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Lol.. Thats funny 'tuff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts