Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have been doing a fair amount of research on this bow and I am getting more and more excited to pick it up, but my question is: Which is better?

I am fairly new to archery and really enjoy it. I was shooting an older 70 Lb single cam and was getting tired after 20+ shots. i dialed back to about 65-67 lBs and was doing better but I think it will get better with more practice. So . . .

Knowing that the bow will perform the best at the peak weight, should I get the EVO at 60 Lbs that I can draw all day, or get the 70 and dial it back to 65 Lbs untill I can work up to 70? How much less effective at 65 Lbs is it going to be? Isn't that pretty common for people to dial back to 65 Lbs?

I will not be purchasing another bow for quite some time barring a catastrophy of bow damaging magnitude

Thanks for any help, most everyone seems super helpful.

·
Archery Addict
9,211 Posts
60# is plenty with the EVO. Enjoy a smooth draw and fast speeds, nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
If you base performance only on stored energy then you are correct that bows perform best maxed out. Now if you base performance on arrow flight and shooting you are wrong on bows performing best maxed out. Plain and simple the better shooters do not have there bows maxed out Very few of them are shooting over 60# bows Why do you need 70? Wake up if you were getting tired after 20 shots with a 70 you think you can shoot all day (Shooting all day is a few hundred arrows if not many hundred) its not going to happen. Save your self alto of aggravation and get a 60 and learn to shoot well. Its about good arrow flight and shot placement that is it.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Yup. Better to max out your 60lb'er as most bows are the most efficient topped out. Or you can luck out and score at set of 65lb. limbs for it. Most of the higher end speed bows that are 60lbs. perform just as good or better than 70lb. bows from 5-6 years ago. I use to shoot all 70lb. bows now I shoot 60lb. almost all the time. (It seem the 65lbs.) bows on here sell pretty quick, as I personally think it's a good weight for everything w/ the exception of African Big Game.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I think you would do fine with a 70 backed off to 65. Todays bows are pretty efficient all through their draw weight. Than you can work up to 70.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I went through the same thought process. I ended up going with a 60# Evo and am 100% confident that I made the right decission. I am actually running around 55# and enjoy it more as it is just more pleasant to draw, hold, and shoot.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Go to the shop and have them weigh the bows draw weight, you may get just what you want.
Most PSE's are very heavy in the limbs, meaning a 50-60 pounder may actually be a 55-65.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
my axe is 61lbs...backed up to 52(injury) and at 61 it shot a 365gr @325fps
at 425gr went 300fps...........today i'm shooting 52lbs and a 455gr arrow @250fps....and i'm tickled

it takes 10lb more, in other bows, to get this performance......

·
Life's a Garden, Dig it!
3,204 Posts
Go to the shop and have them weigh the bows draw weight, you may get just what you want.
Most PSE's are very heavy in the limbs, meaning a 50-60 pounder may actually be a 55-65.
In my case I've 2 out of 3 had softer limbs. Maxed at 68lbs being in spec.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I personally shoot a 70# EVO at 65#. I had some radial X 300 arrows on hand and they ended up being a tad weak spined for my EVO at 70# so I backed it to 65# and it cleared up my arrow flight and my BH are to same POI as FP's out to 45 yds. and my arrow speed is 312 fps. Without jumping around the target, I'm busting nocks at 30 yds. I will be keeping this set up for whitetail but should I get the opportunity for some western hunting, I will go to GT velocity 300's and crank it back up to 68-70#. I like the choices the EVO gives me in the 70# bow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kjwhfsd, I seem to have hit a nerve with my attempt at blatant exageration. I (and I think most) do not have a desire to shoot "many hundred" arrows in a day, but I recognize that there are those who do. I am speaking of a day of hunting/shooting, with ease, not to mention being able to pull back without flaggin my target as to where I am with a bow in the air while I draw back. I relate this statement to when people say things such as: "I can drink this all day. I can do this all day," ect. Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the input.

Man! StinkEye and WEEGEE make solid arguments and basically what I was thinking when I asked the question.
grandpabear post and BadgerT's experience is keeping me on the fence. My buddy just got this same bow and he usually has his bows at 65# and loves his at 65#.

Thanks for all the input so far fellow archers, but I am still torn! I'd love more input as long as it isn't from the underside of a bridge.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
well being a EVO fan that i am. the 60# would be enough, but if you want you can order a 65# PSE EVO if you want.I myself have a 60-70 pounder and shoot it at 68lbs. For the performance of the bow it will perform the same at 60# as it will at 70#.years ago it used to be diff. but not with the new bows.what ever you feel comfortable with.:)

·
Aussie Bowhunter
221 Posts
I shoot my Evo @ 70 & its a very easy draw.............they are silky smooth & imho, feel less that they pull....

·
Banned
4,049 Posts
i have a evo and it had 60lb limbs on it so i went and ordered a set of 70lb limbs for it a few weeks ago my shoulder messed up on me before i ordered the limbs. my buddy asked why i want 70lb limbs for it and i told him when i ordered them my shoulder was just find so i backed my evo back out to 65lbs and i cant tell a difference

1 - 16 of 16 Posts