Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here but have posted a few threads and those that have replied have been really helpful. For those that haven't read my post, I've been away from bowhunting and shooting for several years due to a shoulder injury in '99. I had my shoulder fixed in '01 and have been active and back to normal activities. I team rope, so my shoulder has gotten a good workout and though it may not be 100% of what it was, it seems to be OK. Before I tore up my shoulder(team roping) I was pulling 73# on my '96 model Matthews Z Light. I'm shooting it right now set at 64# with no problem at all. I turned it up to 70# and had no trouble pulling it but don't think I want to shoot 70# on a regular basis...64-65# seems to fit me a little better. I'm kind of a "speed freak in everything that I do....faster horses, faster rifle bullets, faster bass boats, etc., so naturally I want a fast bow. I'm getting ready to buy either a new Elite or Bowtech real soon and would like some input, advice, opinions, knowledge from experience, etc. Here's my question...would I be better off with a 60# bow maxed out or a 70# bow turned down to 65# or so? I keep hearing that bows perform better when they're cranked up to or near max and I'm wondering what the difference in speed would be between the two? I want the speed but don't want to put unnecessary stress on my shoulder, eventhough it's not bothering me now. If I had speed mods on a 60# bow and smooth mods on a 70# bow turned down to 65#, would the 65 be just about as easy to draw as the 60 and how would the speed compare. I know these are questions with a lot of variables but I thought with as many people as there are here at AT, there should be plenty of experience to help with these questions. I'll look forward to your replies and Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
If you get a speed bow your going to be fast. A 60lb bow is really no slower than a 70lb bow at the same grains per pound rule. In other words shoot at 60 and 5grains per pound and you will be just as fast as a 70lb bow at 5grains per pound. There is a minute difference in speed but no way near enough to hurt yourself. the advantage of 70lbs is Kinetic energy not speed. Bowtech or elite though you won't have to worry about that either

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I would go to the shop and have them set up the bows you are interested in.
Explain your situation with your shoulder so they know what your up against.
Not knowing how your local dealer is to deal with, it might even be worth a phone call to Bowtech before you talk to your dealer. The people at the factory are very helpful.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Another consideration that I failed to mention in my first thread was my draw length. I have a 27" dl so I don't want to lose any more speed than I have to. If I've heard right, it's about 10fps per 1" of draw length, so I've already lost 30fps from a 30" dl. Maybe I'm being a little too technical but like I said, I like speed and want all that I can get without sacrificing any other important attributes. With the Bowtech or the Elite, I don't think I'd be sacrificing anything. I've shot an Elite E-500, a Tribute and an Allegiance and they all were plenty smooth and should all be plenty accurate from everything I've heard and read.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You should try

a Bowtech equalizer. They say it at 27 inch draw and 60lbs it shoots about 300 fps. Bowtech says pound for pound it is the fastest bow they have. I had bypass surgery in May and bought a new tribute 60lb bow. I think I will be shooting around 285 ft per second. It is easy to draw at 60lbs

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
With todays bows, and especially Bowtech 60# maxed out will give you plenty of speed and kinetic energy. Most will max out 61# to 64#:)

·
Banned
144 Posts
parkerbows nailed it. Your not going to get any speed increase going from 60 to 70 if you stick to the GGP rule. The only reason i'd go from 60 to 70 would be KE. I shoot 70lbs and have no trouble pulling it, however i've got fresh young shoulders. If I had a previous shoulder injury, I would stay in the 60lb range just in case. I would get a bow that max's out around the poundage you want. Bows do perform better when cranked down to the riser. Its a small difference, but most like to get all the performance possible out of their rig.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it sure seems that the general consensus seems to be that I'd be better off with a 60# bow. Like I said in a previous thread, I don't want to be pulling 70# regularly and I'm pretty comfortable with 62-64# so the 60# is the direction that I'm leaning now. Now, as in the past, I like to shoot pretty much everyday and a heavier draw weight might take it's toll on my shoulder in time. I have another question....how would the lighter arrows used to keep the speed up with a 60# bow perform on larger game, such as elk? Some friends and I are trying to put together an elk hunt for next year and I'm just wondering about performance of the lighter arrows. Any references or recommendations for an elk hunt would also be appreciated.

·
Banned
144 Posts
Texas Outfitter said:
Well, it sure seems that the general consensus seems to be that I'd be better off with a 60# bow. Like I said in a previous thread, I don't want to be pulling 70# regularly and I'm pretty comfortable with 62-64# so the 60# is the direction that I'm leaning now. Now, as in the past, I like to shoot pretty much everyday and a heavier draw weight might take it's toll on my shoulder in time. I have another question....how would the lighter arrows used to keep the speed up with a 60# bow perform on larger game, such as elk? Some friends and I are trying to put together an elk hunt for next year and I'm just wondering about performance of the lighter arrows. Any references or recommendations for an elk hunt would also be appreciated.

Im a KE freak. But in all things I tend to overkill them. Its just in my nature. That being said, I do not think any 60lb modern compound bow would not blow an arrow clean through an ELK staying at the minimum 5gpp rule. However, I dont really see a need for a lighter arrow. If I were going Elk hunting with a 60lb bow, I would still shoot around a 400 grain arrow.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
parkerbows said:
Like I said a 60 lb bow is as fast as a 70. Bowtech equalizer is their fastest bow at 27" draw and it is a 60 lb bow
i shot that, tribute, and alliegence through a crono at 60# 27" and a 300 gr. arrow. the fastest one was actually the alliegence. it came in just over 300 fps. then comes the equalizer about 5 fps behind that, then the tribute slightly behind that then. that is my experience with them. i went with a tribute because of how nice it felt to shoot. i had a hard choice between them all. try a bunch of different bows out before you buy. for the KE i am making about 61 for KE shooting my hunting arrows that are 276 grains and shooting at 280 fps at 60#.

·
Registered
487 Posts
60 pounds

I own several 60 pound bowtechs, and all of them max out over 60. Two at 63 and one at 64. I would get the 60 pound equilzer and call it smokin!

Good luck to ya.

B T H

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. I'm considering an Allegiance, as well as an Equalizer from Bowtech but I'm leaning towards the new Synergy from Elite. I'll probably go with the 60# bow. My dealer met with the Elite rep yesterday and will be ordering several in the next few days. I'm thinking about putting my name on one, but haven't decided for sure yet. I shot an Elite along with the Allegiance and Tribute at the same shop and they were all real smooth and fast. Tough Decision.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
after my shoulder started acting up, my 06 Old Glory will be the last 70# i ever have (might even get 60# limbs for it next year) Both the Bowtech and Elite have bows that are laser beam fast with the right arrow spine and weight.

I believe as the newer bows get faster more and more people will start shooting the 60's and maybe even 50 pounders instead of the standard 70#s, in know i will be.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
T O , question for you , what is there about the Elite that has you leaning that way ?? just curious , have had 3 of the Binary cam Bowtechs and really liked all of them and know that they are a good bow , for the Elite to have you kinda leaning that way it must have showed something you liked better than the BTs , I have never been around an Elite and am always looking for a better mouse trap , so to speak , so what is there about the Elite that catches your eye ???? Thanks , Dan :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Elite just felt real good in my hand and it just seemed much faster than the 2 Bowtechs that I shot and just as smooth. The Tribute was set at 68# and the Allegiance was at 70# and the Elite was a 60# bow set at 62#. I was shooting the same arrow in all of them and everyone else that was there made comments on how the Elite seemed to be "smokin". It just seemed incredibly fast. There wasn't enough differnce in smoothness between the 3 to notice. If anything, the Allegiance was a tad smoother. It had the smooth mods and the Tribute had the speed mods. The Elite was just very impressive. I know the new bows are supposed to be even faster yet, and that's what has me excited. I like speed in everything I do. Can't help it! Just the way I am!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts