Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Trophy Nanny Hunter
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thumbs_do

Did anyone read the article this month in NAW magazine about the guy who shot a big buck on a guided Illinois hunt? He shot the buck at 68 yards and they put this article in the magazine. In the article it did say the guy was practicing almost exclusively at 65+ yards for just that type of shot. So yeah, he did have that shot in his arsenal at a stationary target. Still, is that an ethical shot to take at any game, let alone game like whitetail that can react so quickly to the shot from a bow?

I still don't think that it's a shot that should be taken, and I really don't think it's something that should be put in a big magazine for others to see.

JimBob - "hey Gomer did you see that thar guy shot him a big buck at 70 yards with a bow?"

Gomer - "sure did JB. can't wait til I get one of them thar things and whack one at 80 yards".

Thoughts?

·
Banned
6,826 Posts
It worked. It was a big deer, so NAW published it.

I will take a 60 yard shot on an unaware whitetail, I have a rangefinder and a pin for that range, and i can group the arrows well, so if the situation calls, and you can do it, go for it.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
While a 68 yarder is not a shot that I would attempt, if the conditons are right, he has practiced at that distance and farther and the animal is not alert, I could possibly see where somebody might take that shot.

While for me, it certainly would not be the responsible thing to do, each person's ability is different. It would be short sighted to say that because I can't shoot that well at that yardage that nobody else should. What about the guy who has trouble grouping at 20 yards. Is it correct for him to tell me that a 35 yard shot is not ethical?

While I certainly may not agree with his choice, I was not there and don't know all of the details. Each hunter must make their own decision as to what is ethical based on his or her skills and the specific conditions of the shot.

I do however think that if a magazine talks about a shot like that, they follow it up with something like "don't try this at home".

·
Relocated Cajun
10,981 Posts
great shot...kudos to someone for practicing and being ready when a shot like that presents itself...and a nice buck to boot :teeth:

·
Registered
406 Posts
To each his own. Everybody is different...what is an "ethical" shot for one person is totally out of the question for someone else. For me personally, I would much rather discuss my 5 yard shots. Getting close is the ultimate for me.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
MN Doe Hunter said:
:thumbs_do

Did anyone read the article this month in NAW magazine about the guy who shot a big buck on a guided Illinois hunt? He shot the buck at 68 yards and they put this article in the magazine. In the article it did say the guy was practicing almost exclusively at 65+ yards for just that type of shot. So yeah, he did have that shot in his arsenal at a stationary target. Still, is that an ethical shot to take at any game, let alone game like whitetail that can react so quickly to the shot from a bow?

I still don't think that it's a shot that should be taken, and I really don't think it's something that should be put in a big magazine for others to see.

JimBob - "hey Gomer did you see that thar guy shot him a big buck at 70 yards with a bow?"

Gomer - "sure did JB. can't wait til I get one of them thar things and whack one at 80 yards".

Thoughts?
Is it a shot that you wouldn't have taken because you aren't use to long distance shots? There's guys out west who wouldn't hesitate taking a 60+ yard shot. Ethics are subjective .Whats ethical to one guy might not be to another. Threads like this can turn into a hornets nest. We have seen some nasty fights when it comes to this subject.
Have you hunted out west in places like eastern Colorado and western Kansas or better yet Wyoming? I know your part of the world and Im aware that long distance shots aren't the norm because of the dense cover. I own a home on a lake just north of Brainerd. We need to be careful when we talk about whats ethical or not. Different situations and surroundings call for different methods. To many people fail to see beyond there own little world they live in. I live on Mars compared to where you live so people like myself and others hunt a different way but that doesn't make one person more ethical than the other.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thank you guys. It's pretty riduculous to expect everyone else to adhere to one's own standards. You do your thing, and I'll do mine.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Well . . . I guess different strokes for different folks. I bowhunt to try to get close to game . . . not just to try to kill something.

Good for him I guess.

·
Trophy Nanny Hunter
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just don't know if a shot like that should be publicized in such a big magazine. That's basically what I was getting at. Talk about the buck (a true monster) but does the shot distance need to be so important? SOmeone mentioned that they should have posted something at the end about only take that type of shot if you have practiced it...something like that. I don't feel comfortable shooting over 30 yards myself at game (despite the fact that I group very well out to 50 yards with bh and tips), but if someone can shoot out to 45 yards (and beyond) that's their perogative.

I didn't mean to start a war.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
These threads are depressing because they show the type of "kill 'em at all costs" mentality that seems rampant in bowhunting today. It's not about how dang well he can or can't shoot. An animal can do a lot of moving in the time it takes an arrow to travel 68 yards. If instead of killing the deer he'd have crippled it, how many people here would still support his decision to shoot? And I also can't help but wonder if he'd have taken that same shot if the deer was a doe close to home instead of a huge buck on an expensive guided Illinois hunt.

A lucky outcome doesn't make a stupid action any less stupid.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Yeah, the mag was encouraging long shots. Forget about the part where you said they said he had practiced long shots, they're encouraging people who don't even have a pin set at that distance to shoot long range.

I wouldn't do it so it must be immoral, right?

As far as I know any time you shoot at a deer there is a chance you may not kill it and may cripple it. Does that mean you don't support anyone's decision to bowhunt?
You can play the "what if" game with anything.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
If I were in his shoes, that deer would have lived to see another day, unless I could have called him closer. But, obviously it was well within his effective range and he took the shot and connected.

The problem with magazines is they will print "Chuck released the arrow at 68 yards and made a perfect hit, the deer went 60 yards. The deer scored..."

They fail to say "Chuck practiced at 65 yards every day and sometimes even further. He practiced until he could keep 5 arrows in an area the size of a softball at that range, His bow was perfectly tuned and his arrows were properly spined for his set up. He had absolute faith in his skills, and knew the capabilites of his equipment, as well as himself. When the shot was taken, there was no wind, plenty of light, the deer was unaware, and the shot was WIDE open.

If they would print every little detail then stories like these wouldn't be such an "ethics" question. Unfortunately mags only print what the public wants to hear, and that sends the wrong message to a 15 year old boy who thinks "Hey, if that guy can do it, so can I ".

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
J. Wesbrock said:
These threads are depressing because they show the type of "kill 'em at all costs" mentality that seems rampant in bowhunting today. It's not about how dang well he can or can't shoot. An animal can do a lot of moving in the time it takes an arrow to travel 68 yards. If instead of killing the deer he'd have crippled it, how many people here would still support his decision to shoot? And I also can't help but wonder if he'd have taken that same shot if the deer was a doe close to home instead of a huge buck on an expensive guided Illinois hunt.

A lucky outcome doesn't make a stupid action any less stupid.
So what your saying is that people who don't hunt like you are the ones who are "kill 'em at all costs" type hunters? I'm offended that you put people like myself and a lot of good ethical hunters in that category. So what your implying is guys who live out west in wide open country are bad hunters? Come to my world and let me give you a wake up call. Ever hunt antelope with no cover higher than your knees for miles around? Have you ever hunted a plains muley with cover no higher than your knees for miles around. Do have any idea what its like out here? I'm not unethical, I'm not a bad hunter and I'm stupid just because I will take a 60 yard shot. :angry:

·
Registered
757 Posts
It's not about how dang well he can or can't shoot. An animal can do a lot of moving in the time it takes an arrow to travel 68 yards.

I agree. I shoot very well out to these distances (60-70yds) in practice sessions. But a foam deer target doesn't move. One step while that arrow is in flight and a behind the shoulder lung shot becomes a gut shot. And in the world of animal reflexes an arrow is in the air a long time from 68-70 yards.
I can't speak for Elk or Moose hunting. Never done either. With larger animals you get larger vital zones and maybe those larger critters don't jump the string like whitetails are prone to doing. So I will restrict my comments on taking long shots to whitetails. But for whitetails I think it's a bad idea.

If instead of killing the deer he'd have crippled it, how many people here would still support his decision to shoot?
Well the thing is you would have never heard about it if the deer had been wounded and lost. And that's almost always the case. You only hear about the incredible long shots on whitetails that have a happy ending. Which leaves us with no idea what percentage of them actually turn out well.

To me the real challenge of bowhunting is in getting close to big game. I am far more impressed with a guy who kills a monster buck at a distance of 15 yards than I am with some guy who launched a hail Mary and got lucky.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
i agree...

Josh Michaelis said:
It worked. It was a big deer, so NAW published it.

I will take a 60 yard shot on an unaware whitetail, I have a rangefinder and a pin for that range, and i can group the arrows well, so if the situation calls, and you can do it, go for it.
it isn't like this guy never tried a 60+ yard shot. i don't think someone should take the shot if they are unsure of the yardage and not comfortable with it. just for a big buck. i wouldn't be afraid to try that shot, i have a pin for it and i shoot that distance or close to that distance often. JMO.

GOOD POINT JOSH. :beer:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Tax Lawyer said:
I would definitely want to know more about the hunter before I formulate an opinion. :zip:
I agree. Disagreeing with the article is one thing but disagreeing then adding your own ethical opinions about hunters who shoot what they consider long distance is what gets me. How can you make judgment on people that you have know idea who they are or what they can or cant do?These kind if threads always gets heated and nasty. Most of the people who criticize anyone who shots more 20 yards are stuck in the own little world and have no idea what things are like beyond that. Go ahead and criticize the article on how it was written but please dont generalize and start making comments like "stupid" and unethical" about guys who hunt differently than what you do.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
60+yd shot!!!

Me personally would not take that long of a shot, not that I cann't the target, it's that my vision stinks :cry: I cann't focus much more than 50yds. I even have a hard time shooting spots, because of my bad vision. I'll take and range out the area I'm hunting and mark spot's so that if the game comes within my zone :thumbs_up freezer food :teeth:

1 - 20 of 235 Posts