Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for an upgrade on my arrows. I am currently shooting 30# limbs and an beginning archer so I have no idea what arrows would suit me best.
I am having trouble getting to the 70 meter target with the current arrows I have without putting my sight near the very bottom, im hitting the target but i'm out of adjustments for 90m and 100 yards. Which one of these arrows are better?

Brace height is at 9" max recommended was 9.25" with fast flight string. 27.5" draw.
I just changed up to 30lbs samick limbs and still getting used to it so I really dont want to upgrade. Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
I dont have any experience with the Redlines but I have the 710 ultrafast but in yellow. When I was shooting 30lbs (samick privilege limbs) with the ultrafast, my sight was close bottom also. I had to aim roughly 20 feet above the target to get the ultrafast on the bale at 90 meters (I was just experimenting). I would recommend working on getting your limbs poundage up. With the increase in poundage... you will eventually have to get new arrows anyways. Maybe someone else can chime in since I'm still a beginner archer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even if it doesnt help me get to the 90 meter target, i would hope the avilablilty of adjustable nock and small diameter would help me get a flatter trejectory and better scores on the 70.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,195 Posts
I shot Redlines 80 yards last weekend on a field course but I was pulling about 41 lbs. That is just over 70 M. I normally shoot FITA with ACE's. On my FITA bow, I get 190 FPS with ACE's and 179 FTP with Redlines. I would have to aim very high to get 90 M with the Redlines, even with my bow -- the same probably applies to 70 M as well.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I think the most important infoto be given for the comparison should be that Redlines are discontinued by Easton.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
with 30# on your fingers the only arrow which MAY get you to 70M/90M would be the mckinneyII arrows...they were specifically targeted for archers using low poundage to reach the longer distances...

i can reach 70M easily with my 32# pse pro-elite limbs pulling about 35# without pulling the sight in but have not tried it yet at 90M..... i reach 90M easily with my 34# borders HEX5s with about 37-38# on my fingers using the same MckinneyII 725s....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I could move the sight in more but that would shorten my sight radius and reach 90m but that would exacerbate any poor shots. I am using a cartel activa sight on the 2nd furthest notch and mounted the lowest possible. Honestly if I go any lower my vanes would probably contact the aperture. The arrows im currently shooting are easton 1916's which are already 290 grs at 29" without the insert, 100gr point, and nock/vanes. These are the same arrows I purchased when I first entered this sport hence the upgrade. I am also contemplating 710 AC Navigators since they are on sale.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
my mckinneyII 725s are a total of 270 grs at 29", 120 gr pts, spinwings and beiter in/out nocks...they are the lightest high end fita arrows currently available and are priced at the same level as ACE's...

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
fusionstar
The redlines, now discontinued by Easton, are about 6.25 gp inch, which is about the same as the Navigators, also discontinued.
The Redlines use acc points and g nocks, which are easy to find. I'm not recommending the 690 spine, but if you leave them long, you may grow into them. They are a decent, proven shaft. PM me about 690 redlines.
The 1916's are probably too stiff for your outfit, you're probably drawing 31#@27.5" if you are in the middle of the limb bolt range.
I would think you'd be looking at 1816 spine, or .750.
Peace, Butch

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
fusionstar,
I'm assuming you are measuring your draw length to the plunger plus 1.75".

Even realizing that a spine too stiff is better than a spine too weak, I think you'd be better off with a 1716. I'm shooting 29" .880 X-7's 33.5#@30.25" DL, and they're a bit too weak for me, using Border Hex 4 limbs. On my Quinn, 29" 1816's, 32#@30.25, tune fine. You may find yourself somewhere between. Butch

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
690 Redlines will definitely be too stiff for your setup. I'd think a 780-800 would be a better fit. Redline 780s weigh 6.3gr/in. You might want to look at Carbon Tech McKinney Junior shafts in a light, which only weigh 5.0gr/in. or Carbon Express Medallion XR in a 800 which only weigh 5.6gr/in. Both are reasonably priced, altho slightly higher than the discontinued Redlines.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys, yea my nock grove to plunger is 27.5" with an additional 1.75" of meat. I actually got the numbers for the shafts from easton's target shaft selection. it recommended 610-690 spines.

so with a 100 gr point and spin wings/kurly vanes at total length of 29.25" from groove to insert with a 27.5" draw @ 30-31 lbs, I should be looking at 750-850 ish spines?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
When I recommended a 780-800, I didn't realize your arrows were 29.25" long and you were shooting 100gr points. I shoot 28" 690s with 70gr hyperspeed nibbs out of 38# G3 limbs. For your set-up 690s might work. However, given your desire to reach 90M with 30# limbs, I'd drop the point weight and go with arrows such as Carbon Express Medallion XR in 700s or McKinney Jr in a light version.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
fusionstar,
So 27.5" is your True Draw + 1.75" = 29.25" AMO Draw. AMO draw is the most commonly used standard, probably less confusion if you use that one.
Your arrows are about the same length as mine, the 30# Samicks are 30# measured at the lightest limb setting, so you are probably about 32-33#. The stiffest shaft I can tune out of my 32# bow is a .750, 29" 100g points. Of course your mileage may vary.lol.
Floxter is right. 90M will be difficult with anything but the lightest arrows, and or a long distance between your eye and your arrow at anchor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts