Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like only yesterday when the Tradgedy at Wrights Creek took place. I dont think the story has reached near enough people,.
Last year, while I was sitting in a stand, I could hear some Turkey's across the river from me, then came the shots from a high powered rifle toward them. Some of the birds flew up into the trees and then i had 3 bullets slapping thru the trees near me, i was wearing my orange but i doubt they could see me,..it is illegal to shoot turkeys with rifles in kansas.

Please remember Beau

http://www.beauarndtfoundation.org/

Beau was killed on Dec. 15th, 2007

Theron Kent was released from prison on Nov. 18th, 2010

David Kent, who was with Theron the day Beau was killed poached a possible Ks Typ. record buck In late 2011, or early 2012.

http://www.realtree.com/brow-tines-and-backstrap/kansas-record-buck-poached

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Sad about Beau. Three years wasn't enough for the jackazz that pulled the trigger. Shooting at a coyote in the middle of a snow goose flock? YEAH RIGHT! This guy is obviously a reapeat criminal and they should lock him up and throw away the key!! As far as the new Kansas state record buck that was poached by him, well... I had the antlers in my hand at the taxidermist's shop a couple years ago. Man they were NICE! My daughter and I were at the shop picking up her buck from the past season. She was like, "HOLY CRAP DAD"!! We just couldn't believe it. At the time he asked me not to tell anyone he had it. He told me the whole story about the guy bringing it to Big buck contest. The landowner found the dead deer with the head cut off and played on a hunch that the poacher would stroll in with the antlers to the big buck contest. His hunch paid off. I also heard that the agents confirmed the headless carcass' dna and the antlers were a match! So, with the trail cam pics, the carcass on the landowner's property and the dna= screwed!! I'm glad they caught him!! I also heard that the poacher was supposed to pay the landowner about $8000 in restitution and the fine for the buck was only like $1500 :mg: The state of Kansas definitely needs to rethink it's fines. I think Iowa bases the fines off the score of the antlers and the fines are VERY STEEP!!! Some might say not enough. I guess the rack was only like 15" wide. I guess Kansas sets fines based on width? I don't know for sure on this(just a guess) so don't quote me on it, lol. You can view a pic of the buck mounted on Rick Lowry's Taxidermy facebook page.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Gone too soon. We all suffer when such a young and promising life is lost.

I have zero tolerance for the people like the man that took this young boy's life. Zero. Give him the choice: swing form the gallows or life in prison. That's pretty much the limit of my mercy for him.

·
I am my own affliction
2,482 Posts
I remember this all happening. That's terrible. At least they both got caught

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Wow, i never heard that story before. Very sad. Less than 3 years in prison for taking a life is like a slap on the wrist to the offender and an insult to Beau's family and friends.

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,615 Posts
No deer or any other game is worth being that stupid over. Those folks aren't sportsmen or hunters but killers who enjoy the kill more than the hunt, or traditions, They have no realization of a job well done, but only the cheap trophy that they can't even display.

Sorry for your loss, and I hope that at least one life will be helped from your sorrow.

·
12,018 Posts
Thanks for sharing, that is the first I have heard this story. So sad.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Eye for an eye!!! If it was one of my loved ones he shot, he would be dead and I would be in prison. Sad part is this clown will breed and grace this earth with another idiot most likely. I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
It wasn't the killer who poached the record buck correct? It was his brother is how I read it?
Correct. David killed the buck, he was also in the truck when his brother killed Beau. You know you've reached scumbag level when you can watch your brother kill a kid while poaching, and you continue to poach.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Sorry to hear. Terrible what some fools do to others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts