Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on picking up a Doinker Platinum Hunter with the platinum QD for my new rig. Currently considering the 8" and the 10" lengths (which will actually be 9" and 11" with the QD, respectively). It will be mainly used for hunting with some 3D additionally.

What do you shoot (8" or 10") and why? What benefit is one over the other, and what are the drawbacks as well?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Depends on what type of hunting you do. If you are not stalking through the woods then you can run a long one without fear of hanging up on the terrain.

I used an 8" Vendetta this season out here in Colorado on some spot and stalk wide open hunting and got a decent muley. On my new bow I am going with a 12" front bar and 10" side bar with QD's they will be longer than that.

Ultimately it all depends on what you want to use. It is all personal preference.

Vernon Buck - 04 - 9.15.13.jpg

·
Registered
254 Posts
Don't use one for hunting. I carry the bow for miles and miles to take 1 shot. I am happy with my stability for that one shot. After 10 shots I feel like I need one practicing or 3d. But I always start without. But if I hunted from a stand/blind I would have one.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
I use an 8" Xfactor. It doesn't do much to balance the bow because it is rather light. But dang does it get rid of any hand shock or vibration you might feel after the shot. I mostly hunt out of a stand so 8" is good for me. If I spot and stalked I might go for something shorter.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
I use a 12" B-stinger.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,669 Posts
Unless your planning on taking somewhat of a long shot, a stab isn't even needed with today's hunting bows.

The only reason why I use a stab on my hunting bow is to keep the sight out of the dirt when I lean my bow against a tree or rock. Therefore I keep it short and light.

Skeet.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
A good quality stabilizer at least for me isnt even an option, its gonna be on whatever bow Im shooting and Im going to have taken the time to adjust the weight stack so that everything balances out right. On my hunting bow Im running a 12" DCA carbon rod with weight stack and on my 3D outfit the same but with a short side stack on the left to offset my sight.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I use an 8" stokerized hunter but will up upgrading to an 11.5" elite archery stab just because. I think the more weight out front the better you shoot but like some say in the post if your only taking one shot it shouldn't matter all the much. For the spot and stauk I wouldn't worry all that much about it because usually when you spot and stauk you have an arrow nocked so an 11" stab shouldn't be a problem

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,520 Posts
I honestly don't understand the opinions suggesting that because you are only taking one shot it doesn't matter. From my perspective that "one shot" means way more than 100 shots on the range. A stab system, properly set up, makes your bow hold and shoot much better and significantly adds to accuracy. I wouldn't even think of hunting with a bow not having a good stab system.

Shot 8 1/2" this past season - going to 10" with QD on new bow (I also run sidebar for back weighting).

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,256 Posts
I use a 12" B-stinger.
Same here, my 12" B-Stinger Pro Hunter plus the QD actually puts me closer to 14" in overall length...no problem for Western spot & stalk.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I shoot a 12" up front and plan to play with a side bar next year. Buy the stiffest,lightest cheapest one you can find that offers changeable weights on the very end.,

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,256 Posts
You mean spot and shoot?
Shooting an animal at 110 yards is not stalking......:)
I guess the previous 14 years of 30 & 40 yard shots don't count? :dontknow:

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
I was watching a hunting show and one of the segments featured Levi Morgan talking about long stabs and sidebar for his hunting set-up, I thought it made perfect sense. I want every advantage I can get for that "one-shot" chance at a buck of a lifetime. I have never ran the longer stabs and sidebar but plan on it this year.

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
I strongly recommend doing so if you can make it happen.
For sure. The pro shop nearest me carries the entire B-Stinger line, I plan on shooting several different set-ups until I find the best with my rig set-up for hunting. Right now I am hearing a lot of buzz (for my bow) of the 10" / 3oz. out front and 6" / 4oz. side bar holding like its in a vice. That's what I am looking for!

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,256 Posts
For sure. The pro shop nearest me carries the entire B-Stinger line, I plan on shooting several different set-ups until I find the best with my rig set-up for hunting. Right now I am hearing a lot of buzz (for my bow) of the 10" / 3oz. out front and 6" / 4oz. side bar holding like its in a vice. That's what I am looking for!
Here's what I've been using, a 12" Pro Hunter w/4oz. up front and an 8" Pro Hunter w/8oz. to the side...ROCK SOLID!!!

1071633_10151520604394109_428306837_o.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts