Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a random question but was hoping to get some ideas/answers on this.

I switched to 80% mods because it just feels better over 85%, both the draw and holding it. But in switching from 85% to 80%, the bow seems a lot more jumpy.

Twice now, out of say 50 arrows, I'm at full draw in anchor getting settled in on target with my thumb lightly on the thumb button, only to have it pop slightly out of the valley causing me to accidentally pressure the thumb button, and a resulting poor shot. A couple times I wasn't on the button yet so I just popped it back in before taking the shot. Either way, no bueno.

To combat peep twist, some twists were put into the string. The string twists were also an attempt to shorten the feel of the draw just a hair. I'm wondering if adding those twists could contribute to it being jumpier, or if that's totally unrelated.

I like that the mods force me to be real honest about holding firm in the back wall and not allowing any creep, however, is it normal for it to be THIS touchy? I'm wondering if there are any adjustments I can make to the bow, or I just to have get use to it and watch my form.

Thanks

Reactions: Racinray

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do any of you think that twisting the string could alter the feel / size of the valley?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had this happen a couple times during the shoot in, coming from shooting 85 on most of my other bows going back a couple years.

Tbh, I like it. It forces me to keep back tension and to brace properly. My consistency has really improved. Love this setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Mathews, Athens, Hamskea, First Lite, UltraView
169 Posts
Did you check cam timing after putting twists in the string? If you haven’t I’d double check that. I’ve also had Mathews that were perfectly in time with the cams hitting dead even, swapped mods, same draw length just lower letoff and needed a half twist or so to get my timing perfect. I don’t have my V3X yet but my traverse with 75% mods definitely wants to run, my V3 31 with 80’s was way less jumpy by comparison. Generally the lower let off Mathews mods seem to have less valley though and will force you to be pretty strong on the shot!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you check cam timing after putting twists in the string? If you haven’t I’d double check that. I’ve also had Mathews that were perfectly in time with the cams hitting dead even, swapped mods, same draw length just lower letoff and needed a half twist or so to get my timing perfect. I don’t have my V3X yet but my traverse with 75% mods definitely wants to run, my V3 31 with 80’s was way less jumpy by comparison. Generally the lower let off Mathews mods seem to have less valley though and will force you to be pretty strong on the shot!
combined with the strings and cables being a lot more broken in by now, I should probably get everything checked to make sure it's all working as expected.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
With the 85% mods I would get a little "tink" sound when hitting the back of the valley and had more of a dump. With the 80% mods no more "tink" and a lot less dump into the valley. Is the valley shorter? Yeah a little bit but not drastic or jumpy. But it will keep you from getting lazy. I wouldnt want it any other way. It almost sounds like your timing is off a little bit after the string twists.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I don't think the 80% were jumpy. They make it feel perfect now l, less dump right amount of valley. I'm kinda surprised Mathews doesn't make 80% standard. I had a Bowtech insanity a while back and that was jumpy. I'd double check specs

·
Registered
384 Posts
I use the 80% mods on my 33 and way prefer them over the 85%, but I also use the 70v mods on my TRX so the 80 still seems too high. I do wish there were more lower letoff options for Mathews hunting bows. The 85% mods can allow you to get lazy and creep a bit as the valley is a bit wider while the lower letoff mods have a shorter valley so if you creep a bit, they will feel jumpy. Twisting your string a bit should not have any influence on the valley that I am aware of.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Went from 85% to 80% and, wow, that makes a difference on my V3. The draw feels much smoother. I found that when I shot using a resistance release, I was trying to just barely rest against the back wall, I fell back into the draw cycle regularly. Now that I use a hinge release, it's not nearly as much of a big deal.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
14,267 Posts
I've been fighting this recently and frankly not all that impressed with the SW mods (2nd time around so not new to them).

When I first got my Vx33 with standard 85% mods I though it on my draw board (stock as she came from factory) and the 85% mods were at just a hair over 80% letoff. After custom threads and tuning it was coming in a touch over 83%. That was back in the winter and I hunted with it a couple of times and killed a doe. Kept shooting it in that setup and (with sideplates) DL was a touch short but you only have full 1/2" adjustment with Mathews (which always run long).

Then I drew Montana elk tags and realized they have an 80% max letoff (stupid rule but is what it is). So I picked up a couple of 80% mods (but J and I - running J on the 85%). In either case the letoff is down around 76% so not the 5% diff advertised - more like 7+% (and that's apples to apples without changing anything else on the bow so I know it's the mods). With the J the DL feels a bit too short but with I it's too long and both are jumpy. I prefer right at 80% but I can't get to 80% with 80% mods on my Mathews - not even close. And I've been tuning bows forever so yes, I played with cable length etc. but can't move it by any meaningful amount without taking the bow WAY out of spec.

It's been very frustrating and I've grown to hate the SW mods frankly. Unfortunately I'm likely not going to be able to elk hunt with the Mathews even if I wanted to. Have picked up my Enkore to shoot more recently and the beauty of that bow compared to the Mathews is that I can micro-adjust everything including DL and valley. I have it at the perfect DL and right at about 79% letoff which feels great and not at all jumpy on that bow. Feels so much better than the Mathews it isn't even funny but that bow, by design, is FAR more adjustable than the Mathews. It's unfortunate because I do like the feel of the Mathews on the shot and some of the features but it just might not work.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
14,267 Posts
Kind of a random question but was hoping to get some ideas/answers on this.

I switched to 80% mods because it just feels better over 85%, both the draw and holding it. But in switching from 85% to 80%, the bow seems a lot more jumpy.

Twice now, out of say 50 arrows, I'm at full draw in anchor getting settled in on target with my thumb lightly on the thumb button, only to have it pop slightly out of the valley causing me to accidentally pressure the thumb button, and a resulting poor shot. A couple times I wasn't on the button yet so I just popped it back in before taking the shot. Either way, no bueno.

To combat peep twist, some twists were put into the string. The string twists were also an attempt to shorten the feel of the draw just a hair. I'm wondering if adding those twists could contribute to it being jumpier, or if that's totally unrelated.

I like that the mods force me to be real honest about holding firm in the back wall and not allowing any creep, however, is it normal for it to be THIS touchy? I'm wondering if there are any adjustments I can make to the bow, or I just to have get use to it and watch my form.

Thanks
To my last post, have you put the bow on a draw board and checked actual measured letoff? I'd bet your 80% mods aren't giving you 80% letoff - it's probably well down into the 70s.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To my last post, have you put the bow on a draw board and checked actual measured letoff? I'd bet your 80% mods aren't giving you 80% letoff - it's probably well down into the 70s.
I have not. And I don't have a draw board. And my local shops aren't a fan of guys coming in to do stuff like that either. They just want to turn a few screws and change d loops, or you get lucky with someone bored at the shop that day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts