Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
14,264 Posts
Good question I’m thinking about getting away from 65lb 85% mods an going with 60lb with 80% would be noticeable difference between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your holding weight will go up a couple of pounds and you will have less valley. No way to know for sure how well that will work for you without testing it out. I guess the good news is if you have a SW bow you can test it by buying a $50-60 set of mods which is pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Lately Ive been shooting my new to me V3 31 a lot with 85 mods and went back to the V3x 33 yesterday with the 80 and I did come off the wall a couple on a couple shots. Happened late in the session on the last couple arrows of the end. Just felt it slightly come off the stops then corrected. Just have to remind myself to be better.

·
Registered
140 Posts
To my last post, have you put the bow on a draw board and checked actual measured letoff? I'd bet your 80% mods aren't giving you 80% letoff - it's probably well down into the 70s.
I have found the same to be true with my V3X33. Ata is 33 1/16, brace is 6½''. The bow is pulling 75.4 lbs and holding at 19.9, which is closer to 75% let off. I might have to switch to 85% mods and see if they're more accurate on holding weight.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I have 70v mods on my TRX 34 and love them. Not jumpy at all. It does force me to stay in the shot, and I shoot better for it.

If I could get that low of let off on a hunting bow, I would.

Draw length needs to be perfect. Too long will accentuate the feeling of being “jumpy.”

High let off is not your friend. If you can’t hold 20% of your draw weight, you are likely over-bowed.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts