Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another dumb question. Seems like as I get older, I'm asking a lot of those. And I thought you supposed to get smarter as you got older. :confused:

I'm already looking ahead to outdoor target shooting next year. In the PA State Archery Assoc. we shoot a 1200 round, and a 900 round. The 900 round, I have no problem getting 3 pins set to 40, 50 and 60 yards. But for the 1200 we shoot 80, 65, 55 and 35 yards. I'm sure it's going to be harder for me to set pins for those ranges in my CBE Sight. (I've never shot Bowhunter Class in outdoor target before.)

My question is, does it make any difference or help any at all if the sight is extended farther away or closer to the bow to try to get that kind of pin gap? I also have a PSE F22 sight with a larger pin guard than the CBE. But I can't extend it more than about 3 inches in front of the bow. (6 inches is max for PSAA).

Any inputs or suggestions? Shooting 28 inch 3-39 ACCs with 100 grain points. Bow is approx. 52 pounds.

Thanks.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
The further away from the bow the sight is the bigger your pins gaps will be and the further down you will have to move the 80 yard pin.

Clearance can be a problem with your vanes and sight housing when getting set up for this.

I would try to find a happy medium and go with that.

· Registered
2,542 Posts
But for the 1200 we shoot 80, 65, 55 and 35 yards.
For those yards You really need to take a look at the G5 Optix XR. It has three adjustable pins and a floater pin. Now I know you are thinking"no, not one of those old floaters pins that dont stay or set correct." The Floater ont he G5 XR is great. I have two yardages set on mine. But you can mark unlimited yardages if you can get the marks on the tape. But easily you should be able to get the 35 set by a single pin then use the floater to get the 55,65, and 80. You would be set. Before I was shooting a 4 pin Cobra and was having a time shooting out to 40 yards. BUt Then I got the XR and the .019 pins and the floater and now I am shooting out to 70 yards and hitting my Glendel Deer ever time. I went from a reluctant 40 yard shooter to shooting practice out to 70 yards all in a two week span. And the only thing I changed was the sight.

· Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have two yardages set on mine. But you can mark unlimited yardages if you can get the marks on the tape. But easily you should be able to get the 35 set by a single pin then use the floater to get the 55,65, and 80. You would be set.
I think I know what you're saying, but in PSAA, shooting Bowhunter Class, I can't move any of my pins once the shoot starts. Was this what you were recommending?

· Registered
750 Posts
For BH classes in PSAA rules, you can only use a 6 inch extension (dovetail) with a max of 5 fixed pins, a level and sight guard.

I am in the same boat as you are trying to figure out what sight I want to use that will work for field and hunter rounds (same as NFAA field and hunter) with the closest shot being 14 feet and longest at 80 yards. I am thinking that I will have pins set at 20, 35, 45, 55 70, with the top of the level at 80 yards, but those may not be the best, just what I am thinking.

As I said I know people that use (legally) sure-loc target sights with the pin attachment. You just cannot make adjustments during the tournament. http://sureloc.com/acc/pinattach/pin.html

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.