Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
can I shoot it?
17,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to spend a little more time over the past week or so shooting and getting used to the Levitate. Here are some of my findings.
First off the bow to me looks really good. I think the green looks better to me than the green on the NTN or the Embark but that is purely personal. Overall a very nice looking bow.
The finish on the carbon has some texture to it, not a ton but some. I also think that the finish is a bit on the thin side. I can see a couple spots on mine where it looks a bit thinner than other and I can definitely see where that would/could/should/ be an issue with a bow in this price range.

I have a buddy that built the strings. He only makes a few sets a year but he knows how to build them right and some very high profile shooter and hunters have them on their bows and seem to like them. That all is to say I can’t really comment on the factory strings, but haven’t had an issue with live wire strings yet.

In the hand the bow feels nice and balances well. I am definitely not a back bar guy especially on a bow designed to be light weight. Akin to buying a Kimber Mountain ascent then throwing a 5.5X24X56 Nightforce on it. Sure you can do it, and yep it might help you squeak a little better groups but if the whole purpose is to be light why weight it down. With a hunting length 12in stab the bow feels well balanced.

This bow comes in at 79.6lb and set at 29inch draw. The draw is a little stiff starting out, but really only took one range session to get use to and now I don’t think any more about it than I would a 70lb bow. Pick it up, draw and aim. It really doesn’t feel bad or harsh. The peak weight stays for more of the draw cycle, at least that is what PSE says, but after shooting it a bit it certainly doesn’t feel bad. Nothing like the old DNA cams or the RPM 360.

The let off is still at 90%. It feels fine shooting but letting it down slowly does take a bit of effort. That is the only part of the draw I don’t like. It is adjustable of course and I still may, but think I will like the 90% when I am stalking mulies this fall or holding on a bear waiting for him to turn. Also several comments from people on the range about how quiet this bow is. I think a whole lot of that can be attributed to how well it is set up (ensuring everything is timed just right and tightened down) and the weight of the arrow. Compared to most of the carbon bows this bow is extremely quiet. Even noticeably more so than other Levitates I have heard shot.

My arrows are the 300 spine Axis with 50gr up front, a 10gr Ti Iron Will collar and 100gr head. 4 fletched. They fly outstandingly well, and it was awesome seeing how hard they seem to impact. The FOC is low but really don’t care anymore as it penetrates MUCH deeper than any of my other setups even with a 2in mechanical head. When it hits the target there is a audible “whack” that is absent when I shoot my other bows into it. The number #26 tape from Spot Hogg seems to be spot on so far even out past 100 yards.

As for performance. The final weight of my setup is right around 517grains. This bow is shooting them at 288fps. That gives me a bit over 95ft lb of K.E. in a fairly easy to draw and shoot package.

Very happy with this bow and setup. Can’t wait to get it into the field this fall.
Plumbing fixture Tap Sculpture Musical instrument Art

Attachments

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Nice - but I get similar KE with my FT cranked up to 70# - 10lbs lighter...sorry ... but great numbers anyway...PSE rock...

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Interesting you talk about it being a light weight bow and not wanting to add extra weight to it, but you are running a Spot Hogg slider. Great sights but heavy! I'm running a Tommy on mine and I'm looking at lighter options from Black Gold and B3.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
14,262 Posts
Interesting you talk about it being a light weight bow and not wanting to add extra weight to it, but you are running a Spot Hogg slider. Great sights but heavy! I'm running a Tommy on mine and I'm looking at lighter options from Black Gold and B3.
Good point. Putting a SH on that bow is "akin to buying a Kimber Mountain ascent then throwing a 5.5X24X56 Nightforce on it" - lol. I have a SH Fast Eddie Triple Stack on one bow and a BG Ascent Verdict 3 pin slider on the other and the weight diff is night and day. And I would say there is absolutely zero chance the bow is properly balanced without a back bar while running a SH sight on it. It's just not physically possible which then necessitates undo torque to level the bow properly during the shot process.

If I got a Levitate not sure what sight I'd run but I'd absolutely run some sort of back bar on it. Also unsure which cam I'd get. I'm 27.5" DL so bottom of E2 cam but wonder if S2 is more aggressive and a worse draw cycle at that DL.

·
can I shoot it?
17,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good point. Putting a SH on that bow is "akin to buying a Kimber Mountain ascent then throwing a 5.5X24X56 Nightforce on it" - lol. I have a SH Fast Eddie Triple Stack on one bow and a BG Ascent Verdict 3 pin slider on the other and the weight diff is night and day. And I would say there is absolutely zero chance the bow is properly balanced without a back bar while running a SH sight on it. It's just not physically possible which then necessitates undo torque to level the bow properly during the shot process.

If I got a Levitate not sure what sight I'd run but I'd absolutely run some sort of back bar on it. Also unsure which cam I'd get. I'm 27.5" DL so bottom of E2 cam but wonder if S2 is more aggressive and a worse draw cycle at that DL.
I thought about that and have a custom BG mountain lite ascent on the way for the bow, my buddy who set up the bow had one of the sights already lying around so we used it, and he is very experienced with this sight and had it set up in minutes. It is shooting so well that although not optimal I still might keep it on there. Also it does not stick out like a 10-12 inch back bar would. Is it perfectly balanced, probably not, but I can hit what I want out to over 100 yards so not too concerned about the little correction or torque needed to line up the shot vs having to deal with the weight and sticking out of an additional bar.
The bow is shooting lights out. The realm X was the last bow I had that was so easy to pick up and shoot well. This bow is night and day different from that bow in most ways but for whatever reason it is still laying arrows in the X.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
14,262 Posts
Makes sense. Still have a Realm X in the mix and agree - it's an easy bow to draw, shoot and tune. Wish I could spend some time experimenting with a Levitate but unfortunately it's a VERY expensive experiment.

·
can I shoot it?
17,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can’t believe I just read a comparison between a levitate and realm x ……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, the draw is very different, as is the tuning. but the accuracy I seem to get from both at longer ranges is similar. Both seem to “lock on” to targets well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts