Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going on a Elk hunt in September and I pulled back my buddies Hoyt at 80 and it was easy so I guess I just want them to have more power I guess.:teeth:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It might be easy to pull 80 pounds ,but after chasing elk all day and the shot presents itself,and you're beat from running all day,will it still be easy?

·
Registered
144 Posts
If this guy wants to shoot 80#, whats the prob with that? Although accuracy kills and even a 45# bow will do the job with well placed shot, why is it then that most bowhunters go for 65 - 70#? It not like 80# is a too high DW anyway, if you can pull 70# comfortably, an 80# wont be much of a problem to shoot.

80# limbs on Mathews? You will probably need to get a new Mathews bow (i.e. Monster) or go to another company. Hoyt Maxxis goes to 90#, several Elite bows go up to this DW. PSE, Strother and APA also sell bows up to 80#.

But: I have a DXT and you can definitely crank it up over 70 - I managed to get a shade over 75# on mine. Just crank your bow limbs as much as possible. I bet you can crank your Switchback up some up to around 74/75.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I had a hoyt fastflit that i twisted the strings on and short strung and got 109# out of it for elk hunting. From my experience you are way better off shooting 60# to 70# for elk. A bow at this range # will easily kill any animal in the u.s. Like one guy said after walking all day you will be tired and it is way easier to draw a few less pounds and make a good shot than try to pull a heavy bow at the end of the day. The elk and bear i shot with 65# did not go any farther after the shot than they did at 109#.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I have a monster xlr8 at 84 lbs and I love it I pull it back with eas put I do have a 98lb pse G Force not that bow pulls hard

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
The Elite Z28 goes up to 90 lbs draw weight. Mathews bows mostly go up to 70, except the Monster line which go to 80 lbs. If you can shoot it easily and it doesn't hurt your elbow and shoulder, then do it. But, like the others on here say, when you hike all day after Elk you will be tired. You won't wan't to pull 80 lbs. after that. Your body will feel it when you get older. I was shooting my Mathew at 72 last year, and my shoulder started hurting. I now shoot it at 62 lbs, and it doesn't hurt anymore. That is alot of weight to pull back. You can get some serious speeds with that weight though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts