Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Traverse with 80lb wake limbs on it. When I first got the bow I set it up and it had a HUGE left tear. So I spent some time today working with the top hats and getting it tuned. After a bullet hole was achieved I measured everything and shot it through the chrono. The bow is drawing 83lb and has the 29.5" draw mod on it, measures just over 29.75". Using a 456 grain arrow it averaged shooting 319 fps!! I was super impressed with the way it performed. If my math is right, that is right at IBO while shooting 103lbs of kinetic energy! Just thought I would share because if anyone is looking for an awesome heavy bow set up, this thing is impressive!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Here’s a pic of the bow. I was at the pro shop and didn’t take any pics of the chrono, but that was an average speed from several shots. When I first got it I wasn’t super impressed with the speeds and such, but that was because it was sooo out of tune. It’s a different beast when it’s firing on all cylinders and it’s pretty easy to draw for 83lbs! I’ve shot 70lb bows that were harder to draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DCarpenter

·
Registered
560 Posts

Here’s a pic of the bow. I was at the pro shop and didn’t take any pics of the chrono, but that was an average speed from several shots. When I first got it I wasn’t super impressed with the speeds and such, but that was because it was sooo out of tune. It’s a different beast when it’s firing on all cylinders and it’s pretty easy to draw for 83lbs! I’ve shot 70lb bows that were harder to draw.

Want to sale it?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Wake limbs are a godsend for all Mathews hunting bows. They turn great bows into animals and it’s really fun. I’ve got a vertical with wake limbs that pulls 105# fully cranked with 75# mods . I’d imagine the Traverse is an epically pleasurable 80+ lb bow to shoot.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wake limbs are a godsend for all Mathews hunting bows. They turn great bows into animals and it’s really fun. I’ve got a vertical with wake limbs that pulls 105# fully cranked with 75# mods . I’d imagine the Traverse is an epically pleasurable 80+ lb bow to shoot.

I've been looking for wake limbs for a long time, so if you guys want to sell or see any for sale please give me a holler!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Want to sale it?
A week ago before I spent some time with it and got it tuned in I probably would have. Now I'm super impressed with it and can't part with it!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

They truly are!! It's amazing how smooth it draws with the pre-switch weight cam. I have a 75lb V3 31 and I feel like this Traverse is smoother to draw and not anymore difficult. The trick now is if I can get broadheads to fly shooting that fast or if I'm going to have to use some much heavier arrows!!

·
The Impartial Archer
19,436 Posts
It's virtually the same speed as a 50, 60 or 70 you just get to shoot a heavier arrow at that speed.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's virtually the same speed as a 50, 60 or 70 you just get to shoot a heavier arrow at that speed.
I agree completely, I have traditionally had trouble getting fixed blade broadheads to be super accurate past 300-305fps no matter the draw weight. Most of the arrows I have do not shoot this fast from a 70lb bow so I don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
They truly are!! It's amazing how smooth it draws with the pre-switch weight cam. I have a 75lb V3 31 and I feel like this Traverse is smoother to draw and not anymore difficult. The trick now is if I can get broadheads to fly shooting that fast or if I'm going to have to use some much heavier arrows!!
Yea you’re gonna need to go way heavier.

I recommend a Victory VAP SS 250 with a 95 grain shok TL insert and 100 grain head. Depending how long you cut it you should be right in the 530-560 grain range which will be perfect for that setup. It’ll also quiet down one of the quietest bows in existence

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea you’re gonna need to go way heavier.

I recommend a Victory VAP SS 250 with a 95 grain shok TL insert and 100 grain head. Depending how long you cut it you should be right in the 530-560 grain range which will be perfect for that setup. It’ll also quiet down one of the quietest bows in existence

I have a dozen Easton FMJs dangerous game arrows. They are 250 spline with 75 grain brass inserts. I haven't shot them for a while, but I believe they are close to or over 600 grains.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I have a dozen Easton FMJs dangerous game arrows. They are 250 spline with 75 grain brass inserts. I haven't shot them for a while, but I believe they are close to or over 600 grains.
Those are decent they are just too heavy really. If I remember correctly the 250 DG’s are like 17 gpi which is insanity

1 - 13 of 13 Posts