Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using 8125 strings right now,but was thinking about ultracam.
How much slower is ultracam,if any than 8125?How do they conpare to each other? thanks,Jeffrey

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
I was shooting 8125, just recently went with ultracam and dont think I will be going back to 8125 again!? I always had trouble with the 8125 and temperature effecting my peep alignment. So I was told that ultracam would "fix" that. So far Im VERY happy with it as being a stable material. I had a 16 strand 8125 string and was shooting 290fps, now have a 14 strand ultracam string and speed is 288fps. Cant compare apples to apples on speed being the strands are different, but thats why I went with two less, to keep the speed very close to what I was shooting.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Great responses!!! Ultracam IS A very stable material. I also found it faster than 452 but it holds up better than anything I've ever shot. Custom strings made from Ultracam are about as good as it gets!!!:)

·
Banned
6,017 Posts
what about Dyna 97/or S4 ???? I am currently shooting 8125 and am finding it fast and so far , Stable....(for my set up)

Mikie

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am shooting 8125 strings I made on my setup now and couldn't be happier. I prestretched them before I put em on the bow, and havn't had to adjust the peep once in almost three months. I did have to add about three twist each to the buss cable and power cable on my Cam & 1/2 after about two weeks of shooting, but that's been it. I've never tried Ultracam so I can't comment, but if you get a well made set of 8125 I don't think you will be disappointed. Although I've heard enough good things about Ultracam that my next set I build may be out of it instead. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
One thing I have never down yet is make strings. I can attest to the stability and durability of the UltraCam though. My Pearson Freedom has it as factory installed. The darned thing stretched about 1/8" during break-in and has not moved since. I check this by drawing a pencil line on the cam where it passes through the bottom limb. I think it frays a lot less than some other materials, too. After 8 months I'm ready to replace it, only cause I want new on for my trip to Illinois, but the old one will go along just in case.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have restrung all my bows with custom Ultracam strings and cables, (made by myself) and they are brilliant - stable, very little stretch, very durable, and the peep stays put - couldn't ask for a better quality set up. I have done my 03 Flame Ultratec with the new red/black/grey colour combo stuff and it looks spot on !! I even made a new floating yoke of the same colour - sweetest looking bow in the universe, and shoots about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
144 Posts
How is ultracam different from 452? I know 452 is thinner than ultracam but other than that how are they different?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ultracam

I'm thinking about getting me a string jig and making my own.whatis a good jig at a reasonable price?Or can someone make me one at a good price?Does ultracam not fuzzup as bad as 8125?
Thanks, Jeffrey

P.S. Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
String Jig

Jeff,
Do a search on string jig. There have been several threads in the last few months on every kind of string jig you can think of. The three models most discussed are the Yellowstone Dream Machine
from BCY, the Brownell string jig, and the Spigarelli from Alt. Sporting Services.
Jbird

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have the yellowstone Dream machine jig - and it is exactly that - a dream machine, a bit more expensive but worth the extra bucks just to have a stable jig that doesn't move or have the arms bend on you when you put some pressure on them. You are able to really stretch things very tightly without movement. A string makers dream !! If your serious about string making (or have a shop like me) you need a really good jig !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts