Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an 82nd and finally was able to do some shooting outside today. I've been having a tough time being consistent with it. I was shooting it at 30 yards and I would go from shooting 2 inch groups and then the next series of arrows would be about 4-5 inches. I would also notice that my arrows would flutter in flight right before they would hit the target. It looked as if the back of the arrow would go in circles right before they would hit. They definately weren't flying properly. I noticed that they would fly straighter if i would hold really tight on the draw (like i would have to keep pulling back hard on the draw stop and then release). When I would do this the arrow would fly straight and my accuracy increased. Does this mean that the problem is my form? Or does it mean my draw length is too long? It is the same draw length as my Allegiance and I don't have this problem with my Allegiance. This problem would happen with different arrows and different arrow weights.
Here are my specs. 09 82nd 61lbs/30inch draw length/QAD HD pro series rest
Easton st epic 340's Nfused 437 gr.
Easton flatline 340's 387 gr.
CarbonExpress Maxima 350's 397 gr.

08 Allegiance 70lb/30 inch draw length/QAD hd pro series

· Registered
247 Posts
Maybe that u r overspined ... How long r ur arrows. If the airborne is a 70 lb bow turn up the poundage and see if they fly a little better

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
It sounds like your arrows are doing what's refered to as '"corkscrewing" or "barber poleing", per your explanation. Which more than likely is being caused by fletching contact with the rest launcher. The QAD rest MUST come up to a full 90 degrees within the last 1" or so before full draw. If it's coming up to 90 before that, then the launcher will not drop fast enough and your fletching will contact the launcher causing your arrow flight problem.

· Registered
6,522 Posts
Could be a grip problem. With the shorter brace height the 82nd is not as forgiving as the Allegiance. My arrows will cut up if I'm not gripping the bow probably. I also shoot an 82nd. Check your grip. I don't think you're over spined because I shoot the X Cutters at 49 lbs. and I know they're over spined.

· Registered
2,486 Posts
My arrows are cut to 29 3/4 inches. And the 82nd is maxed out at 61 lbs. I don't think its an arrow weight or spine issue because it's happening with all arrows from 387gr., 397gr., and 437gr.
Actually it most likely is a spine isue.. The arrows that you are using are spined for 70lb bows. you should be shooting.

Easton St Epic. 400's
Carbon Express Maxima. 250's

· Registered
4,074 Posts
Actually it most likely is a spine isue.. The arrows that you are using are spined for 70lb bows. you should be shooting.

Easton St Epic. 400's
Carbon Express Maxima. 250's
His spine is near perfect. There is no such thing as an arrow being spined for a specific draw weight. The tip weight.....arrow length....Bow performance all factor into arrow selection.

Attachments

· Registered
2,486 Posts
His spine is near perfect. There is no such thing as an arrow being spined for a specific draw weight. The tip weight.....arrow length....Bow performance all factor into arrow selection.
Yep its near perfect.. I was way off on that one. I ran his stuff through OT2 also and came up with it being near perfect. the only thing that would make it better is by maybe ading an arrow wrap to the back and also going to a lighter tip.

· Registered
4,074 Posts
I just got an 82nd and finally was able to do some shooting outside today. I've been having a tough time being consistent with it. I was shooting it at 30 yards and I would go from shooting 2 inch groups and then the next series of arrows would be about 4-5 inches. I would also notice that my arrows would flutter in flight right before they would hit the target. It looked as if the back of the arrow would go in circles right before they would hit. They definately weren't flying properly. I noticed that they would fly straighter if i would hold really tight on the draw (like i would have to keep pulling back hard on the draw stop and then release). When I would do this the arrow would fly straight and my accuracy increased. Does this mean that the problem is my form? Or does it mean my draw length is too long? It is the same draw length as my Allegiance and I don't have this problem with my Allegiance. This problem would happen with different arrows and different arrow weights.
Here are my specs. 09 82nd 61lbs/30inch draw length/QAD HD pro series rest
Easton st epic 340's Nfused 437 gr.
Easton flatline 340's 387 gr.
CarbonExpress Maxima 350's 397 gr.

08 Allegiance 70lb/30 inch draw length/QAD hd pro series

I had a similar problem years ago with my Hoyt Deviator. Remember that one?! That thing was insane for its day. The problem is the low brace height in my opinion. I didnt suffer so much in group size as I did the lefts and rights....

I could sight that thing in every 15 minutes! What would happen is it would be dead nuts.......go and get my arrows.....next group 4" right or left!!! I tracked it down to the grip.

I yanked the grip off the bow (it was rubber and large) and shot off the slippery riser and my shooting DID improve. Might be something to look at.

· Registered
858 Posts
Let me give you my 2 cents about the 82nd, as I have one too. You must have really good form and consistant grip to shoot this bow. It is not forgiving at all with the short brace height. If your form is the least bit inconsistant, the bow will show you in a big way..........

· Vendor
85,248 Posts
spine arrow

Well I had the same issue with my arrows on my old 82nd .Its the front of center problem . I fixed that and never had an issue. I was shooting 340 axis. the front of center can make a big difference. GOod luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.