Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know where "bottom" is on these limbs?
The reason I ask is a tech at bowtech informed me that you can overtighten these bolts and crack the limbs. I have to believe him since I am waiting for my third set and have only shot this bow ~12 times:angry:
What kind of designer would install bolts short enough that you can damage the limbs by over tightening them??? This seems absolutely ******ed to me but I am just a humble Mechanical engineer so what would I know about design anyway? And even if that is the case, where in the manual does it explain this??? One of the checks we also do on procedures and manuals is "Does this explain the concequences of misuse/alternative action."
This bow has made me feel like I should not even be shooting a bow at all.
My situation here has peeved my of more than any other product I have ever owned and I just got done putting head gaskets in my Duramax!!!!
If this is something I am doing wrong please let me know and I will not do it again.
Shoulda stuck with Mathews!!!
Anyone out there fellin' my pain yet??

· Registered
8,309 Posts
The reason I ask is a tech at bowtech informed me that you can overtighten these bolts and crack the limbs. I have to believe him since I am waiting for my third set and have only shot this bow ~12 times
being as you are a degreed M.E., if you look closely at the utilization of the rubber grommets....compressing them too far would probably signal that you have gone too far..

I use a digital Coffey bow scale to check my bow's draw weight...are you trying to eek out every last ounce out of your 82nd??

what is the peak draw weight showing now?

if you are registering less than what you expect...than the issue is not your limbs..the issue lies within your bus cables...

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As above

I know the rubber grommets flatten down but why would the bolts not be long enough to hit the riser before doing damage to the limbs???
As with any of my bows the best place to start tuning and to check spec is 1/4 turn out from "bottom".
I couldn't tell you what poundage I was getting since I did not even get to draw the bow. Before I got one limbs bolt tight it blew out on the end.
Where are you supposed to start???
If I am doing somethng wrong please feel free to calll me on it.
But I think there are others that will agree in saying that bottoming out the limb bolts means turn them in all the way and back off 1/4 turn thus anything different cannot in anyway be referenced to as "common sense"

· Registered
70 Posts
I know the rubber grommets flatten down but why would the bolts not be long enough to hit the riser before doing damage to the limbs???
As with any of my bows the best place to start tuning and to check spec is 1/4 turn out from "bottom".
I couldn't tell you what poundage I was getting since I did not even get to draw the bow. Before I got one limbs bolt tight it blew out on the end.
Where are you supposed to start???
If I am doing somethng wrong please feel free to calll me on it.
But I think there are others that will agree in saying that bottoming out the limb bolts means turn them in all the way and back off 1/4 turn thus anything different cannot in anyway be referenced to as "common sense"
ummmmm.............. Did you say before you got one bolt tight it blew out? Are running the bolt to the bottom one bolt at a time? I think but I am no expert that you are supposed to run them evenly. I just bought a 82nd and I have shot the piss out of this thing and its great.

· Registered
2,733 Posts
The reason I ask is a tech at bowtech informed me that you can overtighten these bolts and crack the limbs. I have to believe him since I am waiting for my third set and have only shot this bow ~12 times:angry:
What kind of designer would install bolts short enough that you can damage the limbs by over tightening them??? This seems absolutely ******ed to me but I am just a humble Mechanical engineer so what would I know about design anyway? And even if that is the case, where in the manual does it explain this??? One of the checks we also do on procedures and manuals is "Does this explain the concequences of misuse/alternative action."
This bow has made me feel like I should not even be shooting a bow at all.
My situation here has peeved my of more than any other product I have ever owned and I just got done putting head gaskets in my Duramax!!!!
If this is something I am doing wrong please let me know and I will not do it again.
Shoulda stuck with Mathews!!!
Anyone out there fellin' my pain yet??
I put a set of Barnesdales on mine and haven't looked back. If only it had come with laminated limbs from the factory.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly

I do not know a bow yet that if you wanted max. draw weight on a bow that you didnot go down till it bottomed out and I have always went 1/2 turn out and check from there.
This is my point
Has anyone else ever heard that you should not tighten the bolts ALL the way in and then back them out. Then call this maxed out? Don't get me wrong I don't want to shot this bow maxed out but you should always take measurements and check specs at max lbs, right?
I only want 65lbs max since my arrows are 340 grns. But if I can't get the limbs on I won't be able to shoot it at all.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
Nick at Bowtech told me that there should be a 1/2" gap between the riser and the bottom of the limb pockets on the 82nd and the 101st and this is the point at which the bow should be making the max poundage and then you back the poundage down from there this is how I set mine up when changing strings and tuning and it works fine for me

· Registered
1,211 Posts
My question is,

What are you torque'n the bolts down with? I can't for the life of me understand someone tightening them down too hard with just a T wrench. Why on earth would anyone keep turning the bolts are any bow when they tighten. My 08 bolts on my 82nd bottom out as stated by preyquester above. Plus, why wouldn't one check a scale while maxing out the bow. Something out of the sorts on this one.

· Registered
325 Posts
someething sounds fishy!!!

· Registered
1,699 Posts
I just disassembled my 101st and put it back together last night. My limb bolts bottomed out 1/4 turn past where they came from the factory. Put it back the same way which resulted in a light compression of the rubber grommet just as from the factory. Max poundage was right on.

Don't know about the 09's as mine is an 08 but one guy on here, a dealer I think, shortens the bolts a quarter inch and the string a quarter inch and comes back to factory poundage. Says it makes the bow night and day better. I don't know about that, just info. Digest it as you see fit.

I really don't see how tightening the limb down against a rubber grommet should damage it.

My experience and hope this is useful.

Marc

· Registered
1,829 Posts
crackers is the only guy that touches any of mine as well. very surprised. most of the time its guys that do their own work that bugger things up, thats why i asked. hello, nobody said your limb bolts were too tight. we're talking about someone other than you.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.