Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this question from the Fita judges meeting and was curious how it has been handled so far? Ken

73.2 You are making the equipment control at an indoor event. Quite a lot of the compound archers
have arrow shafts close to the maximum diameter, but suddenly you realise that some of them have a
wrap around the shaft at the vane end of the arrow, though a couple of cm forward of the vanes, on
which the vanes are glued to the arrow. In this area you find the thickness to be 9.4 mm. What
would you do?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
So far this has been allowed in each incident I have seen. Since the wrap is on the fletching end, that would have no influence of score (unless the arrows are going that deep in the target).

So far the judges I have talked to on this issue realize what the "spirit and intent" of the rule is and have not been heavy handed in dealing with it.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
So far this has been allowed in each incident I have seen. Since the wrap is on the fletching end, that would have no influence of score (unless the arrows are going that deep in the target).

So far the judges I have talked to on this issue realize what the "spirit and intent" of the rule is and have not been heavy handed in dealing with it.
+1 that is what I would do.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I think I would allow the wrap to exceed the max diameter, but I would not allow a 30 inch wrap.

·
Registered
825 Posts
As a judge, I would allow the wrap, provided it did not seem intentionally long, as to violate the intent of the rule.

·
Registered
545 Posts
"As a judge, I would allow the wrap, provided it did not seem intentionally long, as to violate the intent of the rule."
I agree.
Fritz

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Unless you're shooting fat carbons, why use wraps in the 1st place?

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Because to some people they look nice...
There's a reason why many compound people shoot feathers indoors. Feathers help weaken the already too overspined arrows.
Having wraps in that situation just doesn't fit the equation.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
There's a reason why many compound people shoot feathers indoors.
Dado, while you are correct that feathers will reduce the spine and wraps increase it, I don't think that is why many compound archers are using the feathers for indoors. I believe it has more to do with the fact that the feathers help correct the arrow flight more quickly than vanes. I would contend that the weight difference due to feathers or wraps on the back end of an overly stiff indoor spot arrow isn't going to be enough to significantly break down the spine on a 2712-sized aluminum or carbon arrow at 50# to 55#. My understanding anyway.......:)

>>------->

S

·
0 Posts
unfortunatly when push comes to shove the judge will have to disallow the arrows in question, the only reference to any size greater is that of the point being 9.4max no reference to the nock end, you may get away with it at the local and maybe even the national level but I doubt very much if it would fly at the Fita indoor Worlds

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sean, they do not mention fletching either, is that now illegal because it is deffinitly greater than the 9.3mm size???? Ken

S

·
0 Posts
Sean, they do not mention fletching either, is that now illegal because it is deffinitly greater than the 9.3mm size???? Ken
Actually they do mention fletching, the reference in question is to arrow shaft size and how it is in relation to the scoring zone, not how the fletching is. A small amount of common sense is needed but when you combine a picky archer looking for an excuse and a power tripping judge you get unbridaled stupidity. I would be no different than most judges and let it go but I do know some that wouldn,t. I suspect that this will be addressed when wraps become a common presence and/or someone pushes the issue. The IFAA once considered STS devices as a rear stab in BH classses but when most bows came stock with them they were forced to change their rules to accomodate them

S

·
0 Posts
it is official, Fita will measure the wraps as part of the arrow diamiter, unfortuante that couldn't use a little common sense but it was expected. This will most likely exclude the 2312 and 2315 shafts that have wraps for sure, the 2314 maybe able to with very thin wraps.:thumbs_do:thumbs_do

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is also going to leave out any shaft that uses an external nock collar like a bulldog system! :confused: Ken

S

·
0 Posts
ya they cetainly had a few beers before comming up with this interpitation, I expected that at worst that any wraps infront of or behind would have to be removed, but from this I wonder how they disreguard the fletching and other components but allow for the point?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
if the arrow is being shot a reasonable good target butts the back half of the arrow should have no bearing on your scoring. unless your draw llength is under 18 "

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
At national/international events - do the tech inspectors measure the shaft at multiple points?

I know that on the state level, they measure it in the middle.

-Steve
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
473 Posts
http://www.archery.org/content.asp?me_id=491&cnt_id=4635
Book 3, Article 8.3.2.7.1
An arrow consists of a shaft with head (point) nock, fletching and, if desired, cresting. The maximum diameter of arrow shafts will not exceed 9.3mm (arrow wraps will not be considered as part of this limitation as long they do not extend further than 22cm toward the point of the arrow when measured from the throat -nock hole where the string sits- of the nock to the end of the wrap); the points (heads) for these arrows may have a maximum diameter of 9.4mm. All arrows of every athlete must be marked with the athlete's name or initials on the shaft. All arrows used at any end will carry the same pattern and colour(s) of fletching, nocks and cresting, if any.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts