Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
I have seen these in flight

One of my buddies shot them hunting. They actually do shoot good.

They fall off right where you hit the deer.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've been using them for all my hunting for the last two seasons plus a trip to South Africa. I'm a bit of a "Gadget" nut and willing to try about anything that comes along. The FOB is one of the very few things that I've stayed with and made part of my regular hunting rig. I was using a drop away rest before discovering the FOB so that was not an issue for me. I have found that the FOB does just what the manufacturer says it will do, provide superior guidance to the arrow. From a strictly aerodynamic standpoint the FOB makes a lot of sense as it is more rigid than conventional fletching and applies steering forces more symmetrically around the axis of the arrow. Also here in Minnapolis it costs upwards of $4.50 to get an arrow fletched or you can play with glue and so forth to do your own. The FOB when purchased in quantity is somewhat less expensive and has no "Mess" factor at all. There are a couple of issues. When walking to the stand in the dark it is possible to knock the FOB / Nock combination off an arrow if you drag it through some brush. My first solution was to carry the FOB's in my pocket and "Fletch" my arrows once on the stand. My current soulution is to place a soft material bag with drawstring over the arrows in my bow mounted quiver. That not only protects the FOB's but also makes things a bit quiter when walking through brush. The second issue I've been told about but haven't experienced yet is that you cannot shoot the FOB through window netting on a ground blind. I have no connection with the manufacture or sale of FOB's but I sure do like them as a functional addition to my bowhunting set up.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I sent them an email to see their response, but my concern would be interference with my anchor point. See the picture below with my anchor point.

·
Registered
429 Posts
TCR1...Give them (FOB) a try. I think you will find that, especially with the smaller FOB, interference with your draw is minimal. You'll sort of be aware that the thing is there at your chin but it doesn't seem to affect the shot.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
TCR1 said:
I sent them an email to see their response, but my concern would be interference with my anchor point. See the picture below with my anchor point.
As thin as it is, I would just move it down further.

I like to play with new gismos too. But, I general target shoot and do not wish to use a drop-away of these bows.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The FOB sits right on the end of the arrow, the nock slides through the FOB and into the shaft of the arrow. The FOB will not slide further forward on the arrow due to the collar that keeps it at the end of the arrow. As noted above, especially with the smaller FOB, there really isn't any serious interference with the anchor point just a noticable feeling that something is against your chin.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
I played with them when they first come out a few years ago. I found accuracy very good. When I shot groups I had stacked up on each other and between the wings of the ring. Didn't break but I stopped shooting groups after that.

That was a sample back that they sent me...I haven't really bothered with them since.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I love the idea of them (Oh to give up fletching - SIGH!!) and would love to use them. I note the last comment re accuracy and comment re tight grouping. Does anyone think these things could be used seriously for FITA target shooting?

Has anyone tried them out at 90 and 70m?

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Corsair said:
I love the idea of them (Oh to give up fletching - SIGH!!) and would love to use them. I note the last comment re accuracy and comment re tight grouping. Does anyone think these things could be used seriously for FITA target shooting?

Has anyone tried them out at 90 and 70m?
I don't think they have them set up for the super skinny shafts like X10s and ACEs. So I would say no.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Corsair.... contact Paul Morris at the email address below. He's always been quite responsive to my questions about his product (FOB). I have shot FOB out to 50 yards with no problems at all. From my understanding of the physics involved I don't see any reason why range would be an issue. Obviously as the arrow slows down the steering forces from any type of fletching will decrease however the relative advantage of FOB due to symmetry shouldn't change at all while that due to rigidity might decrease a bit though I suspect would still be an adavantage.

As and aside I think Paul is an engineer involved in missile guidance systems design.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Interesting..

One issue, maybe minor.. is when your arrow brushes against a twig, etc... these will not give like feathers for sure..

I may try some though for target..

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Stubbleduck

Thanks for your response. I have written to Mr Morris and he kindly explained about his product. I am going to get some carbon arrows to suit and a set of his FOBs and try them for 70 an 90m shooting.

If they work out well, I'll make up some sets specifically for use at these ranges. I'm not worried about the ability of the FOBs to cope with these distances. My only concern would be with shooting them at 50 and 30m when I believe other competitors would complain about getting hits on the FOBs because the centres get very crowded at those ranges.

Thanks again. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts