Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just became aware of these things today. They look like a great concept - but how well would they work for hunting? I saw the blacktail photos - obviously they work okay - but what about a pass-through? Is this even possible with turbonocks (without a Rocket Buckblaster or Stricknine leading the way)?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Turbonocks

Big Al,
I was at Forksville last weekend and saw the turbonocks and thought it was agood idea. I wanted to see someone shoot them but never did. Their pretty pricey! 21.00 dollers a dozen. I wonder like you how do they fly and what about a pass through. Maybe someone on AT has some experience with them.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Guys, they are amazing! I was sceptical, but WOW! On a pass through, the T-Nock should come off, but a friend had a pass throuh with the T-Nock intact.
They spin so fast it's amazing! $21 a dozen....try www.turbonock.com !

·
Registered
326 Posts
A word of advice...Do not shoot at the same place on your target with more than one arrow. Every time another arrow has hit one of my turbo nocks one of them has broken. They are pretty expensive, as already stated. I think they are too expensive. I can't imagine these costing more than a dime each to make. Somebody's making some dough here. That being said though, they do what they are supposted to do. Spin the arrow like a bullet out of a rifle. I'm still not sure if I want to use them this year or not. I'm going to do some extensive testing today, comparing them to regular fletching. I'll let you guy know what I decide later.

Regards,
Jeremy

P.S. Monofletch (John), thanks for the video. It helped tremendously. Your a heck of a great guy!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I did about 10 demonstrations at Forksville. usually when ever anyone would ask. The team that took 2nd place in the competition had two turbo shooters on it. I am still not 100 percent from my shoulder surgery , but was managing to shoot about 2inch groups at the 40yd targets.

Yes $21.00 does seem pricy. but most pro shops charge $3 to$4 a piece to fletch your arrows . what does three vanes and some glue cost?

What do you think the cost of a $20,000.00 car is?

When you determine the cost of a manufactured product, if you sold it based on what it cost you to pop it out of the machine , you would go bankrupt very quickly.
First you have to take into account the investment to get the product started and some kind of fair return on that investment,
I am well into this for more than $200,000 just to get the molds made, the patent filed, the patent insurance, so I can protect the patent, the manufacturers liability insurance, Tv, magazine and other advertising. So that Archers can be made aware the product exists. packaging costs. Hunting and sport show fees and travel expenses.
And still the turbo cost about half what a pro shop will charge you to put those three vanes and some glue on your shaft.

As to penetration. so far one deer that we shot , the nock hit the ribcage and popped off and the arrow continued a pass through.
The deer did not complain.
Black Bear, Kudu, pronghorns, many whitetail. a monster black tail, duiker , impala. possums , warthogs , have all succumed to the TURBO in our first year of hunting. NO COMPLAINTS from the animals, or the hunters.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I love the Turbo Nocks and deffinatly they will be on my hunting arrows. And yes as mentioned dont shoot more than one at a spot because they are so accurate you are going to hit arrows and break Turbos and arrows. I have a buddy that shot a robin hood with turbos and drove the second arrow within 3 inches of the first ones target tip. I am shooting my Turbo's through a GKF Funnel rest and have had no problem.

One benefit I have found is when you are shooting targets and you hit a soft spot in your target and your arrow is sticking out the back so far you can see your broadhead you can simply pull out the Turbo, pull the arrow the rest of the way through and then reinstall the Turbo with no damage to fletching when pulling through the target.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I will admit that they have "peaked" my intrest. I just may have to look into them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Of the different fletching configurations I have tried (including turbonocks), I found that 5" straight fletched vains on a aluminum shaft works best for me. This gives me the most consistant flight, especially with broadheads. I'm not saying turbos are bad, they just were'nt for me.

Jeremy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nick,
I now you advertise them as 'the first for drop away rests'. I am curious, does teh hard spiral cause any problems when usign the typical prong type rests (i.e. TM hunter, Nap QuikTune 1000 etc?).

I agree the price is still not too far out there... when you consider most standard nocks are what? $0.30 each, so these are 4x as much, but when you consider the difference in cost between bare shafts and prefletched shafts, you consider the price of the fletching and glue (and fletching jig if you DIY, or proshop labor), they seem VERY reasonable!
... at cabela's prices, you see regular nocks at about $7/dozen, typical fletching on average of about $5/dozen, so now you are at about $1/shaft vs. $1.75/shaft with turbo nocks... now add in the glue, time (if you dont believe your time is worth anything, then why do you get paic $x/hr for your day job ;), fletching jigs etc, or you pay a proshop to do it.

look at it this way... easton vaned xx75's about $65/dozen ($5.40/arrow) , bare shafts $45/dozen ($3.75/arrow). So with turbo nocks, you are lookign at a total of what? $0.10/arrow more on average? that difference woudl get smaller when you factor in having to refletch etc.

If they work well, they would be worth it (still have to try them if they will work with my rest!!) -- funny though, the same people who can come on here an dbrag about having the most expensive bow they can get, and the top of the line arrows etc, are complaining about a dime difference in price of the turbo nocks...

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
not nick but when shooting a turbo nock thru a standard two prong rest the spin is so tight that the nock will hit the prong of the rest and cause a big kick and either dolphin or cause some severe side motion. it is recommended to use either a good drop away which i have shot many of them with great results or now i use the whisker bisquit and have great flight and a solid grouping but like was said earlier once you get dialed in the fins and nocks go flying because of how well they stack. i have several turbo nocks that i shoot that have two fins left and they group excellent as well. the time and the investment are little but the outcome has been more than i could of imagined from the turbo nock. i myself use the hunter turbo nock for both mechanical and fixed blade and get great flight and hard hitting and whern shooting thru a 3d target the rpm's created drive the arrow in deeper than asny other way i would shoot an arrow. excellent money spent in my honest opinion
rob k

1 - 11 of 11 Posts