Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I picked up my bow yesterday, and here is how it went..... I got the call that my bow was ready(cracked a limb) so I drove 25 miles to the shop to get it and when I got there the person was just finishing it up, so I start some conversation with him .. so is the bow set back to specs I ask he looked at me like hugh so I ask is the ATA set right and he answers me what is that ??? and then I ask him if he checked the brace height again what is that he replies OMG I'm thinking so I walk into the area he is working and grab a tape measure and show him what ATA is, here it is off by a 1/2 inch then I ask him if they set up all bows like this and he says yes that they never set the ATA on any new bow and that the only people who worry about that stuff are target shooters I got my bow and left asap, this is a Mathews dealer and how he does it I will never know but I kept my mouth shut and left, mostley because he went out of his way to help me and he got me a warrenty credit even though I am not the original owner of the bow, so to him I say thank you for your help now I am gonna be buying a bow press and do the work myself but a dealer and he don't have a clue what the bow specs are, and the thing is I have been to 3-D shoots when he is there and he is an excellant shot, and I mean excellant but how he can sell bows and not know how to set them up properly is really strange UNLESS
specs on a bow really don't have an effect on how it shoots just how you shoot it is all that matters... well the long and short of it is I don't have time to get the bow set up properly as we are leaving in the morning for a hunt so I am trying to sight it in and get some shots on it before we leave and I am getting some good groups with it go figure,, I give up worrying about it for know:darkbeer:

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Dealers are just like everything else in this world-- some good, some bad-- some ugly.:wink: At least now you know where not to take your bow.:) There are good dealers ot there as well.:wink: :) :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
UNLESS
specs on a bow really don't have an effect on how it shoots just how you shoot it is all that matters...
I kinda feel the same way. Back when I was younger and did not know about all this. I shot a bow for years on the same string.
Every time to peep would creep up I simply adjusted it back down and kept going. Nver thought to ask why just went with it. I shoot fantasticly with that bow.
Obviously my ATA was way out due to string creep and thus my brace as well I am sure.
I think the specs are important dont get me wrong.
Just that bow always shot really good with the spec off.
Just an observation...
I prefer my spec to be as close as possible but I did notice Dave Watson say the word "aproximate" brace or "aproximent" ATA, IBO fps, etc. when watching the dvd that came with my XT.
Maybe they dont have to be dead nut on the listed specs. (???)

·
Registered
703 Posts
For 90% of the archers close is good enough, the vast majority of hunters just want a pie plate group at 25 yards. It is still surprising that your dealer had no idea what those specs. meant as they are plastered in every catalog. In MHO if you want very close / deadon specs you have to learn to do it yourself. Most bowshops will not spend the time to add or subtract twist to get it set perfect, and why should they, the vast majority of hunters don’t care and the bow will shoot good enough for what they are doing.

Also I tune all my own bows and none are to spec. as you fine tune them you will naturally move slightly from spec. Anyway your making the right move get a bowpress and learn to do your tuning yourself.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Out of spec.(a little)is fine as long as the bow is consistently out of spec.
You tune for forgiveness or a particular desired result,or at least thats what I always thought

·
Registered
265 Posts
The factory specs are just a reference point, most likely after you tune your bow to the correct timing and everything it won't be the same as factory specs.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lot's

of good points everyone made. I guess since all of specs are with limbs turned all the way down and I only shoot 65 lb the specs will be different, even with the ATA off a 1/2in it still will pull 70/lb on a scale, but I did make/helped him set the timing so at least I know that is right. the bow shoots very nice and seems as good as before so I will quite gripeing and get ready for the hunt, going for a fallow buck on a game ranch not exactley a canned hunt but they are confined within 600 acres, should be interisting this is the first hunt like this I have been on

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
I'm not sure I'm following some of these comments. Specs mean that A to A, BH, cam rotation, and lbs draw are at least close to factory setttings. The closer to factory specs the better it will shoot and the quieter it will be. One could have 70lb limbs that are only pulling 62lbs draw weight. In that case I'd get my specs set and get the A to A, cam rotation, and draw weight to where they were close to factory at max lbs. Then go from there as to exact weight, set up, etc. I would especially have the correct cam rotation and timing. :wink:

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
factory "specs" do not mean much, as far as how well a bow will "shoot" -- they are a reference point and I always wondered why so man people agonize over their A_A being 1/8 "off" from the "approximate" spec.:confused:

None of my bows are at "factory specs" and they shoot better for me and fit me that way. Fitting you properly is much more important than what a tape measure says when placed against the bow.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Most brand new bows I see are out of spec right out of the box! I think too many people agonize over "specs" and should spend more time practicing more to become a better shooter. Just my .02. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
There's a large difference between a competent bow tech, and an efficient sales person. It's likely the person you dealt with was just being paid to "watch the store". There must be somebody in that shop who does the tech work. You need to talk to them.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
and the point is....

So what, exactly, is the point of this post. Your dealer risks his distributorship to get you a free set of limbs that you don't deserve and then you come on here slamming him?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I believe the point is

Mathewsfan said:
So what, exactly, is the point of this post. Your dealer risks his distributorship to get you a free set of limbs that you don't deserve and then you come on here slamming him?

I think he means he asked the dealer a simple question that a Bow Shop owner should know. I also believe that I'd be the customer that wouldn't be able to find his shop again. I would suggest learn to do that kinda stuff yourself. I do realize that spec are just relative and don't need to be right at the number but If the guy can't answer inteligently a question like that then he probably doesn't need to be a dealer or Pro shop owner dealing Mathews bows even Mathews might have a problem with that.

·
Registered
621 Posts
specs

really dont mean much at all. They are based on a 30/70 bow if yours is different than the amo/ibo standard it will be different. also when you adjust draw weight or draw length the ata and brace height will change. I never worry about my bow matching the factory specs, and i promise they shoot just fine.
jon marquess

Ps this dealer went out of his way to help you, he could of charger you to replace the limbs on a secondhand bow. Prolly wishes he would of now.

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,626 Posts
Anyone in a proshop or claiming to be one needs to have his or her ducks in a row and to especially know the parts and settings of a bow. Specs are really just a starting point, mainly for those that can take the bow apart and need them to get it back togeather and to be still shootable when they are done. When I install new strings on bows I try to keep the bow to as close to factory specs as possible but the main thing when its within factory specs is to keep the cams/cam in perect time.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
woa woa woa big guy

a couple of you diden't read close enough, First off I kept my mouth shut, I did not come off as ungrateful in the least nor did I slam his lack of knowkedge on the subject of specs. 2nd I did not ask for, nor did I expect to get a warrenty job and I told him I wasen't entitled to do a warrenty when I brought the bow in,
he is a nice kid and a good sales person and the owner is a nice enough guy himself, I have no intention of slamming him or the kid who did the work, he was interested in what I knew about timming and how to set it, all I am saying is I am surprised the people there don't set the bow to specs, not because they don't want to it's because they don't know how. I fact I have shot a 3-d course a long time ago with the owner that's how I got to know of there shop. I have no problem with going there to purchase items just won't have any work done there plain n simple

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Anybody that doesn't know what A to A and brace height are doesn't need to be working on your bow.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
oh no....shops dont ever make mistakes like that....just the box stores. pro shops are the never do wrong places.

:yawn: :boink: :nono: :nono: :nono:

i would of answered 'i honestly dont know, but i will find out because i too would like to know.' not every shop knows the particular in-n-outs of every bow made. take a little time when presented with a question and go find the answer.

aint the places, its the people........when are you folx gonna learn that?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts