Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys/Gals, here is a copy of a post I made on Huntingnet that I thought you might find interesting, as well as the link to that discussion if you would like to see what people are saying.

Ok, I've been meaning to do this for a few days now, because upon the recommendation of Rob and Ausie and a little research I plunked down the money for some new ASAT camo for this bowseason.

I have a closet full of Camo and was reluctant to buy anymore ,even though I value their opinions highly. So I wanted to see for myself what these look like compared directly under IDENTICAL conditions and through a "deer's eyes"!
I got together 5 of my popular outfits and pinned the legs inside the jackets to appear as a person would. Then I hung each outfit in the exact same spot and (In the open I might ad) with enough varying background cover to make it fair to each style of Camo. (The majority cover is Green with some browns and grays in the trees limbs and some leaves with a mix of open areas and darker thick areas to attempt to be fair to all patterns.)

I know this isn't "super scientific", but it will give everyone a pretty good idea what they might look like to a deer. I took these pictures at 17 yards.........an average Bowshot. These pics should give a pretty good example of what a hunter would look like in an open stand with some canopy cover behind.

(Cross your fingers, I hope this works AOL is finicky, and the pics are large.....the pics are worth it so please be patient!)

#1 Mossy Oak "Break Up"
You can see a definite outline, and form to this camo. Not bad, not good either.

#2 Natgear
Poor Natgear, I think it's a bit out of it's element in brush/greens/and trees. Probably more suited to late season hunting but they tout it as "All Season" so I compared it.

#3 Skyline "Excel"
This one I knew was going to do well.......Always liked it. An underrated camo pattern that obviously did better than the previous 2

#4 Realtree Hardwoods HD "High Definition"
YUCK.......Might work in certain situations where you are positioned exactly against a Tree trunk or with cover in FRONT of it, but it didn't do well in the out in the open test!

#5 ASAT "All Season All Terrain"
Ok I saved the best for last.........it appears that Rob and Ausie weren't just blowing smoke. When I clicked this picture over to Black and White my jaw dropped. You can see the results for yourself........remember this picture is WIDE OPEN not a leaf between me and the camo. And remember ASAT is Tan/Brown/Black.....NOT GREEN!! Wow, there is NO outline.

There you have it, my first attempt at a direct comparison.
I tried to be as impartial as I could without taking 800 pictures! Remember How can I have a bias?....I bought all this stuff!![:D]
Sure some camo will do better in certain situations like the Natgear which would probably do better in an open /lighter setting, but the conditions I just photographed these under is typical of MOST Midwestern/Southern/Eastern Whitetail conditions.
The Skyline did VERY well , the popular "Photo Realistic" patterns like Realtree HD did not.........and its clear that I made a terrific choice in the ASAT camo, the stuff looks amazing!

Here's the link to the other discussion
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=380061&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

·
Registered
564 Posts
Matt,
Throw some Predator in there and prepare to be amazed. I did a similar test about 10-12 years back with predator and have never turned back.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Predator

BowD,
After realizeing why ASAT works so well, I absolutely agree that Predator must be really good as well as it relieson the same principle of "Open" space and contrast........would like to see some first hand.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I never had any luck with ASAT.I purchased some back when Jim Barnheart,owned the company.To be honest,ive been Busted more time,then i can count,whenever i had the ASAT on.Especially in the early Pink Morning light.It sort of Glowed,and ever deer that came by,turned inside out,trying to vacate the property.Wait till you get a few washings on the Garment's.It will be interesting to see,how well it is working then.Good Hunting!

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
After looking at your photographs, if I was to buy some camo today it would be the skyline! I actually thought the ASAT showed up as the easiest to spot, kind of lit up.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
the ASAT looks good but the excel looks just as good maybe better got me to thinking now i was going to get some ASAT or predator but now i may get some skyline excel:confused:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I realy thought that the real tree blended in better that any of the others.

I guess it all depends on what your trying to sell.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I guess everyone is looking for something different. For me, the ASAT would be my absolute last choice just by looking at those pics. It's light with lots of contrast, but too much for those woods. Nothing else in that setting has that much contrast and it really stands out to me. I like the skyline. Of course, I'm partial and use skyline apparition almost exclusively these days. Even so, my skyline is too light and too much contrast for some dark settings, in which case I use Mossy Oak Breakup. I agree with Jeff on the RealTree also. I think it blends quite well in those dark woods. Interesting test to see. Thanks for posting the pics. Bottom line is most camos work pretty well most of the time if you don't move when the animals are looking your direction.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
ASAT Top

I think the ASAT top looks good, but the bottom does kinda glow against the darker bottom. I'm going to give it a try this year anyway, as it seemed I was skylined quite a bit last year using Mossy Oak, I think I looked like a blob up in the tree.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
i here the asat in a leafy suit makes it so you disappear totally , i have some friends who swear by it , good job matt !!

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
the realtee hd green works real well in the spring around here but for deer season it does not look so good. o well it still works for me

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just got my new Predator "Deception" camo today. I'd love to see it compared in the photos. I'm impressed with it's pattern.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I have to say that they all work. I just got back into bowhunting after 20 years away. Back then I/we used military camo. I actually had a hunter walk right past me as I stood next to a tree in some thick woods. He was within 5 feet of me. That stuff was bright and it happened in December in Illinois where the only thing green was my camo!

I've been using Mossy Oak which I feel works great but just bought some Natural Gear because I got permission to hunt a 50 acre abandoned farm that is pretty open with just a few thickets and marsh. I think the Mossy is too dark for that area.

My other hunting is in some very thick wooded areas and I'll use Mossy in there.

·
Banned
736 Posts
Mix and Match

It makes a difference when you add the 3D effect of filling it with a body. The lines will blend in more. I usually choose the pants to the ground and shirt to the foliage. This shot was a few days ago on my elk hunt. I had them walk with-in 5'.
Scent-Lok pants and Advantage shirt.

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
It's all subjective

Good job Matt. As long as there are 10 different choices there will be 10 different view points, and that's a good thing.

Choose what you need, for me it's a ghillie suit or ASAT. I'm a ground (stalking) hunter and this has worked best for me in my terrain and situation.

Eat safe
Out for now

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been using the old trebark for 15 years. Have so much, can't think of starting with a new camo. The trebark works great for me. I hunt from a treestand. With my back to the tree the Trebark blends right in with the bark of a pine. 2 years ago I was sitting at the base of a large pine. Up by Hunter Mt. N.Y. A couple of teenagers walking up a trail, stopped and went at it 10 yard away. I was afraid to move and embarass them. Just closed my eyes, and waited them out. Later I saw them on my way out of the field. I winked at the guy, maybe he new?
JB

1 - 20 of 56 Posts