Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So purchased this bow from classifieds and when it showed up today I unpacked it and quickly noticed it was not right.

This bow has clearly suffered a delamination and then a very poor repair.

Every glue joint on the back and belly has a ridge. It was poorly refinished in the repaired area.

Even new by would know that a bow should not feel this way.

My personal opinion is that this all should have been specified in the ad.

I have sent the seller a pm and requested a refund and he has been online since and not replied.

How would you guys handle the situation?

I have bought and sold many items on AT well into the 200’s with 100% positive feedback. Only one time did a buyer have a concern about something and we promptly resolved the issue.

How would you guys proceed from here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hope you used paypal with the non-friends and family option. That way you have buyer protection and can request a refund. Otherwise, you might be at the mercy of the seller.
Best of Luck.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did use PayPal goods and services.
I won’t have an issue with using the nuclear option either.

If I have to do that I will post the sellers name as well. No secrets here

How long should a guy wait before he goes down that road?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The pic is close and fuzzy but based on location?...I'm going to say that is/was never a delamination and to me appears to be more the result of a poorly fit lay up between the forms that in turn left a fat glue line with an abundance of voids/holes/bubbles where a proper shim in the right place would've squished that area just as tight as the area south of it.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Looks to me like you're handling it properly. I'd give the guy a couple days to make it right. If not, file a claim with Paypal.

Reactions: Paul68

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pic is close and fuzzy but based on location?...I'm going to say that is/was never a delamination and to me appears to be more the result of a poorly fit lay up between the forms that in turn left a fat glue line with an abundance of voids/holes/bubbles where a proper shim in the right place would've squished that area just as tight as the area south of it.
Here are some better pics jinx. I doubt Dick Robertson sent this bow out looking like this. A bad joint would fill with epoxy. This bow has obviously had an issue. There is a ridge around every lamination on the back and belly in the handle This would indicate a delamination and the bow was probably super glued back together and not sanded. The ridges are where the original finish lifted. I have made and repaired several bows over the years so I do have some experience with delaminations. I have repaired several bows for people where a handle overlay popped up. Usually from being left in a hot car.

Also tried to contact him via email through PayPal and the email address came back invalid

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think you deserve a refund. I would wait 3 days max for the seller to do the right thing. PayPal isn't what it used to be so hopefully it doesn't get to that point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yikes. The guy had to know about that issue. I wouldn't give him much time to get back to you before going to paypal. Clearly this isn't what you thought you were paying for.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Here are some better pics jinx. I doubt Dick Robertson sent this bow out looking like this. A bad joint would fill with epoxy. This bow has obviously had an issue. There is a ridge around every lamination on the back and belly in the handle This would indicate a delamination and the bow was probably super glued back together and not sanded. The ridges are where the original finish lifted. I have made and repaired several bows over the years so I do have some experience with delaminations. I have repaired several bows for people where a handle overlay popped up. Usually from being left in a hot car.

Also tried to contact him via email through PayPal and the email address came back invalid

Sorry to hear of this...it just seemed weird to me that a delamination would occur in that location but not south of there especially given the stiffness of that riser material in that direction but?...stranger things have happened and thanks for the clearer pic...hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The seller is sdflatlander and has ignored my pm and my posts in his other sale threads.

He only responded to PayPal to tell me he is the original owner and the bow is in perfect condition.

What a dirt bag!!!

Buyer beware.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,898 Posts
The seller is sdflatlander and has ignored my pm and my posts in his other sale threads.

He only responded to PayPal to tell me he is the original owner and the bow is in perfect condition.

What a dirt bag!!!

Buyer beware.

Did you use PayPal funds that were already in your account? Or did you pay with a credit card linked to your PayPal account? The reason I ask, is if Paypal does not help you, your credit card company may be another option. Just go through the motions with PayPal first, because once you initiate a dispute with the credit card company, PayPal will not help you anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
It looks like a poor glue job from the maker.

Reactions: JINKSTER

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can’t show it in the pictures but this thing has the finish lifted around the edge of every lamination in the handle. I have only experienced this when there has been a delamination.

And again I couldn’t imagine this is what Dick Robertson would be selling for $1000

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I can’t show it in the pictures but this thing has the finish lifted around the edge of every lamination in the handle. I have only experienced this when there has been a delamination.

And again I couldn’t imagine this is what Dick Robertson would be selling for $1000

Any Bowyer can have a bad day and make a bad bow...it happens...and unless you're the original purchaser?...you may not be privi to all the details...he could've determined the bow sound enough to shoot and heavily discounted it yet we'll never know unless someone informs us...one things for certain....there's not a Bowyer out there that hasn't pulled non-conforming bows out from between their forms.

·
Registered
11,537 Posts
I find it very hard to believe that the builder would send a bow off looking like that

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dick could have a bad day but he sure wouldn't send a bow like that out to a customer. He's been too good for too long to accept that kind of bow as a finished product. That had to happen after the first owner got it.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I find it very hard to believe that the builder would send a bow off looking like that

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
There a good chance that it probably didn't look that bad when he sent it off...once a finish is violated?...moisture and humidity (or even the lack thereof) has it's way with the woods but to my way of thinking?...the real issue here is not Dick Robertson but..

"The Seller's Description of The Condition of The Bow"

and whether or not it met the buyers reasonable expectations. (which it apparently didn't)

I guess I shared enough of my opinions regarding this but I will say that I once owned a Tom Martini "Yarak Pure Poison" Longbow and the build quality and craftsmanship was both stunning and impeccable and if it's 57#s didn't eventually tear up my shoulder?...it would still be mine...Tom built bows with Dick...mine was originally made for "Crazy Horse"...(a hunting bud of theirs)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There a good chance that it probably didn't look that bad when he sent it off...once a finish is violated?...moisture and humidity (or even the lack thereof) has it's way with the woods but to my way of thinking?...the real issue here is not Dick Robertson but..

and whether or not it met the buyers reasonable expectations. (which it apparently didn't)

I guess I shared enough of my opinions regarding this but I will say that I once owned a Tom Martini "Yarak Pure Poison" Longbow and the build quality and craftsmanship was both stunning and impeccable and if it's 57#s didn't eventually tear up my shoulder?...it would still be mine...Tom built bows with Dick...mine was originally made for "Crazy Horse"...(a hunting bud of theirs)
Hey Jinkster I believe you have shared enough of your opinion on the subject. It almost seems you know or are defending that crook that sold this thing. I have hundreds of transactions on AT. That being said I probably haven’t had as many bows as you. So maybe I am not the expert you are. Maybe the three people that looked at this bow this morning aren’t the expert you are. Maybe you just have some issue with me I don’t know. But you are just making yourself look bad.

The next someone f’s me over on a bow I won’t do anything or call anyone out and maybe you can f’d over too.

Enjoy your weekend

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

This guy has every opportunity to resolve the issue but instead ignores it. Tells me he is the original purchaser and the bow is in perfect condition. He is out of his mind if he thinks this bow is perfect. Hell a black hunter is nicer than this. I can see brush marks in the super glue. If this guy was an honest seller he wouldn’t be ignoring me.

Some people are out of their minds.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
This guy has every opportunity to resolve the issue but instead ignores it. Tells me he is the original purchaser and the bow is in perfect condition. He is out of his mind if he thinks this bow is perfect. Hell a black hunter is nicer than this. I can see brush marks in the super glue. If this guy was an honest seller he wouldn’t be ignoring me.

Some people are out of their minds.

I have no clue who you bought the bow from and if that's how the seller described it and then sold you that?...I would like to know who the seller is so I don't ever buy from them.

I understand your anger and I hope it works out for you and that whoever the seller is gets blacklisted...didn't mean to further upset you...my apologies.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts