Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may be in my head, but this seems to have helped an already quiet (relatively ) crossbow....
First thing it did was put a Flemish string, made by xcaliber, with cat whiskers...
then put a limb saver stirrup damener on the arrow retention thingy....
it still had a bit of a "twang" at the shot.....

so I addressed the tuning fork at the front of the bow.

I coated it with 5 coats of plastic dip... that helped deaden the sound a bit if you tap on it.....so I got to thinking....
i had these limb savers for split limb bows, so I drilled a 1/4" hole for the sleeve to fit, then clamped them on...
now when you tap it, it's dead...took all of the "twang" out, and at the shot, seems to be even better than before...

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
Sorry but be careful with the drilling the hole. It looks like you took a good bit of the material off and might have weakened it.
That bow has a good bit of poundage and if it breaks cocking it could get bad real fast.
Don't want to see you get hurt just saying :)

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Addressing the stirrup for noise works very well. I've been trying to come up with something for mine that looks neat and doesn't fall off. I may get it coated with some sort of Rhino Liner. There is a rubber spray by 3M that I used on my truck wheel wells 10 years ago, the stuff is still going strong. Prep work would be key on this application. I may sand blast then use the 3M rubber spray. This rubber spray is not the same as undercoating. It dries solid and not like tar....It's rubber. It has great sound-deadening properties.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I wrap my stirrups with bicycle handle bar tape... just black cloth tape. I've been pleasantly surprised by its durability, and it does quiet the shot a fair amount. I'd personally hesitate to drill a stirrup just like rt2 above... I'd be worried about weakening the stirrup and having it give away while cocking.

~E

·
Huntoholic
10,772 Posts
_MG_1021.jpg These work and are made for the sturip from Sim's (Limb Saver) and won't weaken the sturip,,

·
Banned
35,283 Posts
They come in the Simms crossbow kit that also has the dampener for the arrow retaining spring and the limb dampeners witch I did not put mine on yet I might and I might not as they are not really needed but what the heck I have them.

·
Banned
35,283 Posts
I was not sure if you can get them by them self but I see now you can but dose not hurt to get the dampener for the arrow retaining spring while your at it.

·
I Didn't Do It.
1,251 Posts
Somebody needs to make an aftermarket stirrup, with built in dampeners.
Would not be that hard to do.

·
Banned
14,021 Posts
the limbsaver tentacle wrap helps a ton on vibration, just wrap two of them around the stirrup and i gurantee you it will dampen your twang at the stirrup more than a modified limbsaver

1 - 20 of 26 Posts