Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received a second weight ring in the mail today and my excitement level climbed a bit higher. I made an earlier post stating my satisfaction with the performance, but that I also thought it could be a bit better.
I have an 8" unit w/standard ring and weight, mounted onto the adapter of a front mount STS which gives me a total of 9 1/2 inch from riser to weight ring.

This is mounted on a Trykon XL, with a 36" AtoA measurement. The original setup I had worked okay, but not quite what I wanted. My 30" target rod works real well, but a bit much for hunting.

So after receiving the second weight ring, I mounted it right away to do some playing around with it. Can't really shoot much as my outdoor area is covered in a snow/ice/slop mix, so only limited shooting indoors at a very short 7 yards.

What I found: With a total of 13 oz at 9 1/2 inch from the riser, on the hold the bow points right to the floor until I begin the draw. As I bring the bow to full draw, it settles right into my anchor and holds right there with little movement. Much easier to hold aim while going through the shot sequence.
At the shot, the bow seems to just "hang there" for a moment, almost like it is locked into position. All I could say is "WOW".

I have been around archery for a long time, I started out as a little kid and I am 57 years old now. In that time I have seen a lot of things come and go, some worked well, many of them not so much. Most new things that hit the market these days, I look at with a skeptical eye and a "we'll see" attitude, and this stab was one of those things.
I am sold; these things simply work.
Thank you Jason and all the guys at SS, you have pleasantly surprised me.

Ted

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Thanks for the good words Ted.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
So I received a second weight ring in the mail today and my excitement level climbed a bit higher. I made an earlier post stating my satisfaction with the performance, but that I also thought it could be a bit better.
I have an 8" unit w/standard ring and weight, mounted onto the adapter of a front mount STS which gives me a total of 9 1/2 inch from riser to weight ring.

This is mounted on a Trykon XL, with a 36" AtoA measurement. The original setup I had worked okay, but not quite what I wanted. My 30" target rod works real well, but a bit much for hunting.

So after receiving the second weight ring, I mounted it right away to do some playing around with it. Can't really shoot much as my outdoor area is covered in a snow/ice/slop mix, so only limited shooting indoors at a very short 7 yards.

What I found: With a total of 13 oz at 9 1/2 inch from the riser, on the hold the bow points right to the floor until I begin the draw. As I bring the bow to full draw, it settles right into my anchor and holds right there with little movement. Much easier to hold aim while going through the shot sequence.
At the shot, the bow seems to just "hang there" for a moment, almost like it is locked into position. All I could say is "WOW".

I have been around archery for a long time, I started out as a little kid and I am 57 years old now. In that time I have seen a lot of things come and go, some worked well, many of them not so much. Most new things that hit the market these days, I look at with a skeptical eye and a "we'll see" attitude, and this stab was one of those things.
I am sold; these things simply work.
Thank you Jason and all the guys at SS, you have pleasantly surprised me.

Ted
That's awesome! How about putting up a few pics of that sweet rig?

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I'm thrilled with my 12" model and just ordered an extra weight as well. What strikes me most about this stab is the resistance to side to side torque, and the reaction of the bow after the shot. It feels like it's on a track straight to the target. I've never had anywhere near this feel with other stabs, even my 34" Doinker. I have a hard time seeing how it can be any better than it is now but I ordered the extra weight to see what happens.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's awesome! How about putting up a few pics of that sweet rig?
Here you go, my friend. Yeah, took a little while, but I have two new pics.
I have to say, with two weights on there, this thing shoots nicely.

Ted

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Man that looks great. Hard to tell from the pics, how does the camo on the tube match to the camo on the bow?

Looks like a flat out shooter.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bow itself is Realtree Hardwoods, which is a bit darker overall than the stab tube, though of little consequence to me. I have never been one to worry much about camo patterns on bows and accessories, and usually just buy black.
But over all, it looks pretty good.
The bow itself is a very nice and accurate shooter, and I really like it. The 8 inch SS with the dual weights just makes it so much nicer. It just seems to sit there at the shot making follow through so much nicer.

Ted

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
That is what we have been telling people. They really are great stabs. Really can not see myself using anything else. Don't know if they can come out with any thing better.:)

Thanks for sharing. Love the setup. Keep us here on AT posted.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is what we have been telling people. They really are great stabs. Really can not see myself using anything else. Don't know if they can come out with any thing better.:)

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts after experimenting with this one. I told Jason, I am sold on these things.

Ted

·
Registered
672 Posts

You said it right there! Can't see myself shooting anything else besides my SS.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And if you look at the pics, you can see I love my Hoggs. :):)

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
looks interesting. How do I get my hands on one to try? Alan

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
At this time unless your friends have one you are out of luck. They have a few dealers listed on their site. You might want to check it out.

The good thing is though, you can order one from their site. Try it out. Jason will work with you on the length and weight if you are unsure of what you want. If for some mysterious reason you are not happy, they will buy it back within 21 days.

www.smoothstability.com

or

jfuller17 here on AT. He is one of the owners.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
At this time unless your friends have one you are out of luck. They have a few dealers listed on their site. You might want to check it out.

The good thing is though, you can order one from their site. Try it out. Jason will work with you on the length and weight if you are unsure of what you want. If for some mysterious reason you are not happy, they will buy it back within 21 days.

www.smoothstability.com

or

jfuller17 here on AT. He is one of the owners.
Thanks I'll have to check them out.. Alan

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Anytime. Let me know if I can be of more help.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Looks good Ted!!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Looks good man. I tell everyone thats asks about my SS b/c I believe in it! I too was very skeptical at first but thought, what the heck, if I don't like it I'll send it back. Well, I've had it since September and could never imagine shooting without it now. In fact I may see about another weight after reading this...

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Not the only one.:wink::wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts