Archery Talk Forum banner

A little story bouts the weekend.

528 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  godex003
Well I'm basically tooting my own horn cuz noone in the world would care about this except for maybe 1 or 2 ppl on here, but it made me smile this weekend.

Setup: I was in the stand primetime on saturday night. I had seven deer all within 35 yards. All does except for a little basket six that needs a few more years. Well, the largest of the does was traveling right on a trail, so I drew back. Instead of continuing on the trail like she should have, she took a few more steps sprinted a few steps and ended up about 35 yards away... ten yards further than when I drew back. Well, instead of shooting a doe at 35, I figured I could shoot another doe to my right at 10 yards, even though she was smaller. I mean heck, I had already drawn back, so why waste it. I let the arrow fly, and watched it bury itself in the ground. A miss high. How? No clue, but what I do know is that not a single deer near me heard a thing. Not a one moved, ran, spooked, or even payed any attention to me.

I sat down after the shot, dissapointed with my stellar performance, but impressed with the fact that my bow is whisper silent. Yeah, maybe even you guys don't care, but I had to tell someone.

Good luck all.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I didn't. I felt that since I missed at ten yards, i must've bumped something on my sight or messed something up. It wasn't worth a wounded deer. Besides, my night had already been made.

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
No, I didn't. I felt that since I missed at ten yards, i must've bumped something on my sight or messed something up. It wasn't worth a wounded deer. Besides, my night had already been made.
Just a thought.
How high is your stand? Close shots like your 10 yarder will tend to hit (or miss) high if you don't aim low. I'm glad you enjoyed your hunt. That's the main thing. :thumb:

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Nice quiet bow + moderately heavy arrows + good accessories = quiet

Glad you had your night made for you, you get it.

Did you smile afterwards?:)

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a lot going against me that helped me miss. I'm gonna list them because... it's a tuesday and work is slow.

1) Last year I shot Rage 3 blades, and they obviously flew just like my field points. This year I switched to G5 montecs. They were hitting right on at 20 until this weekend.

2) I put those felt tubes on the prongs of my rest instead of moleskin. So that changed my setup a teeny bit. and while putting on the tubes, i turned one of the prongs a bit. I put it back to where it was but it concerned me anyway.

3) Up until this weekend I had only practiced to 20 yards. Saturday I was shooting all day and going back to distances up to fifty like I used to practice. When I got to farther distances I kept changing my sights.

4) Before I headed to the field I shot my practice blades from 20, out to 50 in ten yard increments. I thought I just hit slightly high at 20 as a fluke and was only about three inches high. All my other shots were dead on.

5) After missing the doe, I started to think about if I had only moved my sight when I was practicing out to 40 and 50 and never changed my 20 yard and even 30 yard pins.

6) I really didn't compensate much for being in a stand(15 feet). I know a person needs to compensate, but I shot a deer out of the stand at relatively the same place last year and didn't compensate much.

7) The fact that this was the first drawback of the year, compounded with all of the other things I listed made this shot miss. There's so many ppl that made this possible. I wanna thank the academy, my parents.... ok just kiddin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.