Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
because there sure are some folks that think big holes mean wasted meat.

Let me preface by saying that I shoot the Rage 2-blades and prefer a large entry and exit. Lethal hit/ Big Holes/ Sufficient Blood Trail= recovered deer. This is how we hope it goes... at least in theory. (BTW- I understand that many shapes and sizes of heads make sufficient wounds. I just happened to choose the Rage for this season.)

Understandably, if you punch a shoulder, you lose a little meat, but why would you choose to shoot a head with intent to do as little damage as possible. I'm not trying to start an argument, I just want to understand the logic.

Please fill me in...

· Premium Member
10,362 Posts
I agree with you SS. I tried to use the rib meat once to make jerky. What a pain in the :zip: Now I just look at the damage done by whatever broadhead I'm using. Bigger the hole quicker the kill.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
... Lethal hit/ Big Holes/ Sufficient Blood Trail= recovered deer. ..Please fill me in...
So these equations are wrong?

Lethal hit/ medium Holes/ Sufficient Blood Trail= recovered deer.
Lethal hit/ small Holes/ Sufficient Blood Trail= recovered deer.

· Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the contrary

So these equations are wrong?

Lethal hit/ medium Holes/ Sufficient Blood Trail= recovered deer.
Lethal hit/ small Holes/ Sufficient Blood Trail= recovered deer.
No not at all. Shot placement is #1- the hole size is secondary.

Another thread prompted the question. I've just never eaten the ribs, so it makes no difference to me whether it's a dime sized hole or a baseball sized hole?

From what I read, there were a few members who choose to inflict as small of a hole as possible. That confused me...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.