Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year was my first year hunting, and I some private land that a buddy let me hunt. Well that land is no longer available for me to hunt anymore :cry:. So this year im going to do that state land thing, and I was looking for some help/advice on how I should go about bow hunting them, considering I don't have a tree stand or blind of any sort. Am I wasting my time? Or do I have a prayer?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Scout some areas look for deer signs or game trails..
Make a natural blind if you can with cuttings and brush pile stuff.
Bring a seat and wait it out.:cocktail:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's kinda what I was referring to, a make-shift blind, that's what I was planning on doing. Any tips on going about it or any other poor man's blind?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Check your local laws about putting up a permanant stand, you can always locate a tree that you could but up a board in to stand or sit on. Some of the most comfortable stands I have been in are homemade.

·
Registered
539 Posts
For an easy inexpensive blind head to Wal-Mart and buy a pair of the camo umbrellas for $10 a piece they make a fine ground blind when positioned in front of you.Look for a fallen tree beside an upright tree and use that as your backrest. Use the second umbrella to use overhead to help keep the sun off of you and to create a shadow effect, if possible to better hide you.Even better is if you can find a pair of downed trees or one that fell at the base of a tree, that make a V in the direction you plan on the deer coming past. I had a great natural ground blind last year during rifle season. Had a pair of trees that had fallen beside one that was still standing. Gave me a good backdrop as well as cover on both sides. All I did was find some branches and laid them against the fallen trees to further conceal any movements.Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Find multiple hunting spots, 1) for the wind, and 2) in case you get to your spot and some other yahoo climbs up a tree 30 yards away. Dragging a deer out will suck, but I'd recommend getting as far in as you can. Seems like most people setup as close to their vehicles as possible. Oh yeah, get there early and stay late - never know when some antsy pants will push a deer right too ya! Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a ton guys, this really has gave me some great ideas! Once again AT doesn't disappoint! Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Scout, Scout, Scout!!!

You need to know where the animals are at, obviously. Scouting as often as you can the closer season gets, will definately help. Then once you've located 'em you can search the area for your stand/blind.
My experience has been, if you wait till opening day to start looking for animals, it takes too long to find 'em and pattern their movement.
Good luck!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts