Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or is that a "rookie" request, or is it a "greenhorn" request... I don't know. correct me.

But this is actually pretty simple. Could someone point me to a "jargon" dictionary?

Or how about a nice "stickied" thread at the top of this forum that contains definitions to commonly used terms?

Casual passers-by don't know what "3D" is, probably can't relate to "let-off", or a zillion other terms at first. (Heck, I wanna know what 3D is... ) My "archery" experience constists of having my church youth group (Pathfinders) attempt to earn the Archery honor (neat patch on the uniform), and so I'm learning a bit just to try to get familiar, and be helpful. Forums like this convey a lot of knowledge, but would be immensely more helpful if they answered some of the more mundane stuff in an easy-to-locate place.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
3D is shooting at foam animals. If you have any questions just ask. There are no stupid questions. We are all here to teach people about all aspects of archery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brad, I appreciate the quick response...

I did a search for 3d and read a few threads to sort of get an idea of what it was about - but nowhere did I see it was foam animals.

My point was that I could clutter this forum to death with rather mundane questions I don't want to take the time to ask, but rather have all that stuff in one place, so I can read through and have even the questions I didn't know to ask answered :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
GO ahead and clutter.

If you've read any of the posting on this forum you'll find most of it is made up of others "cluttering":)

You also can PM me if you'd like questions answered, but don't want to post on here.

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
3D is just like 2D only 1 more D. :D :D

OK, enough of that.

The key concept to know about 3d is that you have to judge the distance to the targets as they are unknown within specified limitations. Typically 50 yards is the max. Targets vary in size from a varmint to a buffalo or similar. Scoring is 12, 10, 8, 5 and 0 for a miss. The 12 ring is inside the 10 ring and is usually about the size of a 50 cent piece or smaller depending on the animal.

FITA is a whole different game consisting of know ranges. 36 arrows at each of the 4 distances. 90. 70. 50 .and 30 meters.
Total possible score of 1440.

Then there is Field archery, and clout and bla bla bla.

Adam G :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts