Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elk hunting this fall has been really exciting, with lots of bugling action and plenty of critters running about. Everything was great until last weekend I arrowed a nice six point that my brother bugled in for me. It was a quartering away shot and my arrow placement was absolutely perfect (so I thought). The bull spun and ran with about 3 inches of my arrow sticking out of his side. We sat down and hugged and gave high fives on the exciting hunt and decided to go check the trail. Blood was everywhere and based on the placement of that arrow that was sticking out of him, we knew he couldn't be far. That was right before dark. Now it is almost midnight and the bull is still going strong with lots of blood still squirting out. Deciding to go back to camp and get some help, we marked our trail and headed back to camp. The following morning we had 5 guys (all with packboards on) back on the blood trail. Shortly there after the blood trail started to grow weaker and weaker and before long we couldn't even find it. We spent the day on that ridge looking, but no cigar. I have never felt so sick in my life. I don't even feel like pickung up my bow right now. I'm going back in this weekend to look for ravens and put some closure on this terrible chapter of my hunting book. I really can't understand what went wrong. Anyways, hopefully this doesn't happen to any of you this fall.
Good hunting, shoot straight.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Bound to happen

If you hunt long enough, it's going to happen. The fact that it's kicking your butt tells me that you have the ethical peice of the puzzle figured out. It's the guys that can walk away from a scant blood trail and not think twice about it that have no business shooting arrows at game (notice I didn't say bowhunting).
Sorry to hear you lost him.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me on a 10 point 4 years ago looked like a perfect hit arrow was all the way to the fletching .
Found a blood trail a blind man could fallow for about two hundred yards then nothing. I spent the rest of the season looking for that deer I went as far as the night after I lost him I set out in the brush untill 1:30 am listening for coyotes for a gereral area to look in the morning.

Never did finde him and it still bug the heck out of me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I put a "super" shot on a doe the year before last - about 10 yards quartering away. Doe ran away downa steep hill, and the arrow was buried in the ground halfway - with pink frothy blood dripping off the fletching. I never found another drop of blood anywhere but there, and looked for three days and never found the doe. :mad: These things happen.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i am very sorry---i wish things like this didn't happen but it does---you feel horrible which in my opinion is also a good sign on your hunting ethics and the respect you have for the game you hunt. It is a crummy feeling but it happens if you hunt long enough. sounds like you made a perfect shot--just didn't work out.

todd

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
WHAT HEAD?

What broadhead were you shooting.....?

What arrow weight?

What Bow weight?

Sorry ....... when you loose a good critter is bad news allaround

TINK:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts