Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted a picture of a nontechnical release in the DIY section. I made this release for use older gentlemen that may be having a little problem with the fingers not being up to par. The thing works. It got me back into shooting. I have been unable to pull a bowstring for a few years now I am back at shooting and as soon as it warms up I am going to be back to stump shooting.:)

·
Registered
20,769 Posts
roger -

Sorry buddy, nothing new here. There were all sorts or release aids with not moving parts long before compounds where thought up. Yours is a version of a strap release, in fact I have a Black Widow (yeah, those guys) version of that. There was also the ledge and hook type releases that may have been responsible for more bloody noses than high school bullies.

old_releases.jpg

So you're in good company. These days, they are of course, illegal for any kind of bare bow or trad competition, unless you have a doctor's note ...

Nice work!

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Viper, Yah I know about all those I have had some and made a few more. The one thing they all have in common is you still have to use your fingers where mine is using the wrist to pull. The difference at least to me is night and day. The two inch wide band around the wrist distributes the pressure over a larger area. The beauty of this one is it acts just like releasing with a glove.
I can understand the argument about not using a release in competition it would be like taking a fiberglass backed carbon insert computer designed hybrid to a primitive shoot. Maybe I should call my release a medical assisted finger saver,
Now if I could only see that little black spot I want to hit.
Roger

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
I like it. Great idea - and maybe very useful for someone with hand issues. As noted above I'm sure it would be banned from shooting "Trad" in a competition but you could certainly use it against the compounds. If it keeps you shooting - then who cares what others think.

·
Registered
20,769 Posts
Roger -

I have to dig up the BW release, but IIRC, it uses a wrist strap as well.
Yes, the hooks and ledges are still finger pulls.

OK, silly question: Why not just use a $20 caliper release the new compound guys use before they get the "fancy" ones?
I guess the finger on the trigger becomes a problem?
I use those to train back tension (and other stuff) with intermediate shooters.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can see how it will give you the similar "feel" to the finger release, while taking off the pressure from your fingers. great idea! glad you are regaining Joy in shooting!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roger -

I have to dig up the BW release, but IIRC, it uses a wrist strap as well.
Yes, the hooks and ledges are still finger pulls.

OK, silly question: Why not just use a $20 caliper release the new compound guys use before they get the "fancy" ones?
I guess the finger on the trigger becomes a problem?
I use those to train back tension (and other stuff) with intermediate shooters.

Viper1 out.
To me the difference is anchor for one. I have used the $20.00 calipers and a few really fancy ones and the difference in releasing a 50 pound recurve as apposed to a 10 pound hold on a wheel rig is phenomenal. The recurve is more of an explosion for lack of a better word. I always found it very unpleasant to shoot a mechanical release on a hunting recurve. My release works just like a shooting glove same anchor same release. It feels natural to shoot after you have shot it for a few hours. You are right on the back tension by taking the bulk of the pressure from the fingers it is much easier to concentrate on better form and in any given situation you can hold the bow longer with your wrist than your fingers especially at my age. :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Roger, so glad you are able to get back to shooting! Anything that works for you is good. The trad police can go to hell!

·
Registered
20,769 Posts
Roger -

Got it, very cool.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
sometime back an older Gentleman use to come to the range and shoot his Recurve with a piece of Deer antler with a notch cut in it much like the fixed hing Release of today.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The release you made is pretty neat. We still use those non-mechanical type releases. They are allowed at Flight Archery competitions for the regular flight recurves. It takes a few minutes practice with a light bow and no nosebleeds after that.

Alan

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Roger,

Not sure, but I think you may have come up with something to help a lot of folks with some forms of target panic too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't see why it would be band from any competition. It looks like a tab to me. I wonder if you could make a leather tab with an extra piece of leather on the back to create the same leverage of holding and strap that to your wrist.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The release you made is pretty neat. We still use those non-mechanical type releases. They are allowed at Flight Archery competitions for the regular flight recurves. It takes a few minutes practice with a light bow and no nosebleeds after that.

Alan
You could use this same design only use a 1/2 inch strap and it would create a small contact on the string.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Roger,

Not sure, but I think you may have come up with something to help a lot of folks with some forms of target panic too.
I agree Jim it gives you a lot of confidence holding the string. And you are holding it with ease. Once you get the release broke in where it molds to your hand and you find the right length where the wrist takes up the load and you have the natural feel of a tab or glove you can take the time to aim precisely with out the feeling of the string tearing out of your fingers.
I am no expert but I believe that subconsciously when you pull to full draw the fear of loosing your grip so to speak is one cause for releasing prematurely or target panic. I had a case of it and this thing helps because of the confidence of holding on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts