Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

· Registered
36,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this morning temp 56 degrees wind out of the ESE.

At about 8:00 am I had a nice doe with 3 fawns come in.

I had already made up my mind if the shot came I would take it.

The big doe passed by my stand at 26 yds, I softly grunted and she stopped.

I loosened a Carbon Express Max hunter from my Drenalin and sent a G5 Striker through her lungs.

The first thing I did after the shot was attempt to located my arrow, and with the use of my Vortex Vipers I easily spotted the blood covered arrow lying near the scene of the crime...

I set for about 2 hours and it started raining. I quickly text my buddy who I knew was setting at work and asked for a radar report, he quickly replied that it was only going to rain harder and it appeared that it would continue for the rest of the day.

I looked again at my arrow and noticed the blood was rinsing from the vanes. I decided I had better start trailing before all the blood was washed away.

There was quite a bit of blood near the arrow and for the first 40 yds but after that there was nothing. The rain began to get harder and harder and everyting was wet an shiny. I started searching the area where I last found blood but found nothing.

I came back to the house to get rain gear. I am going to go back and do a grid search. She ran into a very thick bedding area but I know the area well. I will not be back online till I find her!!!

I know the shot was good so its just gonna take some leg work, right now it is flat pouring down.

Hopefull I will have good news when I return:)

· Registered
2,712 Posts
??

I guess my question is why in the hell would you sit for 2 hours after putting a solid double lung hit on a deer? Especially after it started raining enough to "wash off your vanes" And dont even go for the " I was hoping to arrow something else" argument. When you let an arrow loose on an animal you have obligated yourself to finding that animal. This is an example of total and inexcusable irresponsiblity. :pukey:

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
I guess my question is why in the hell would you sit for 2 hours after putting a solid double lung hit on a deer? Especially after it started raining enough to "wash off your vanes" And dont even go for the " I was hoping to arrow something else" argument. When you let an arrow loose on an animal you have obligated yourself to finding that animal. This is an example of total and inexcusable irresponsiblity. :pukey:
A little harsh?

I'm sure lessons will be learned. He isn't the first to try to double up on the same hunt. Rain can put a damper (pun intended :) ) on a tracking job very quickly.

Rodney if the shot was as good as you think it was we will be looking at your drowned-cat-looking smiling mug before the day is over. Good luck!

· Team #28
5,838 Posts
Sounds like you have a dead deer. You will find her, but it will be difficult given the conditions. Good luck.

As for giving her 2 hours time. That is exactly what you should have done. Better to let her expire closer to the origin of the shot, than bump her and cause to to bound off 200-300 yards.

Let us know how it turns out.

· Registered
7,438 Posts
Good luck finding her.

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts
A little harsh?

I'm sure lessons will be learned. He isn't the first to try to double up on the same hunt. Rain can put a damper (pun intended :) ) on a tracking job very quickly.

Rodney if the shot was as good as you think it was we will be looking at your drowned-cat-looking smiling mug before the day is over. Good luck!
Well, he is the Ultimate Predator!

Good luck Rodney482.

· NC ASA Director
36,226 Posts
Dog. ;)

· Registered
6,628 Posts

Ummmmmmmm, is he not out trying to find her now?? For the record, you are barking up the wrong tree when it comes to being a responsible hunter because Rodney is a top notch guy. On another note, who are YOU to tell anyone how they should handle situations? If I shoot abuck at 7:15 a.m. and choose not to get down until 10 a.m. to go look for it then so be it. Some of you people are absolutely amazing :rolleyes:

At any rate, good luck Rodney!!!!

· Classifieds Administrator
39,607 Posts
Good luck Rodney, I hope you find her buddy!

· Yippiee ki-yay
3,625 Posts
I'm sure she piled up close by if you got lungs. If not ,she bedded down close by and by waiting she may have already expired, or a follow up shot will do it ...GOOD LUCK ...LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.

· Registered
431 Posts
I guess you've never had to track a deer for a couple miles because you were pushing them then. I once put what I thought was a great shot on a buck only to end up tracking it for 6 (yes, SIX) miles. Little did I know, there was a tiny little branch between me and the buck that I didn't see when I shot that caused a deflection (I found this out after the fact while doing a CSI type reconstruction of what went wrong). Had I just waited a while longer before taking up tracking, who knows what would have happened, but given the circumstances I'd bet that he would have layed down and either bled out or at least lost enough blood to not be able to keep going the way he did once I got on him. I also should have stopped tracking once I figured out he wasn't hit as hard as I thought, but it was my first tough track job and I learned from it for future hunts.

Sounds to me that once he realized what was going on with the weather, he acted quickly. He is out there right now trying to recover her. Not sure what else he could/should have done.

As a side note, I did eventually find the buck. If it wasn't for the snow on the ground, he would have ended up as coyote/wolf bait as there was no way I would have been able to track him through some of the stuff he went through. Also, to this day I think he was by far the worst eating deer I've ever shot. When I gutted him the amazing thing was that there was almost no blood. It was the cleanest gut job I've ever had. The thing must have been surviving on adrenalin and grit alone.

· Registered
5,249 Posts
best of luck finding her, ignore the experts on here telling you what you did wrong

· Registered
1,228 Posts
good luck findin her..my only question is why the 2 hourss? if it was to double up on the same hunt thas fine..ur call...the doe i shot on openin day was hit with a double lung and heart..went 12 yds. and keeled over and was dead in 15seconds or so...so im guessin with a double lunger, she shouldnt b much farther than where you shot from....good luck lets us kno how it goes

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
I guess my question is why in the hell would you sit for 2 hours after putting a solid double lung hit on a deer?
Especially with rain coming.:confused:

· Registered
115 Posts
Way out of line

Pay no attention to the ultimate predator.

Good luck finding your deer, it never hurts to get a little wet doing what you love to do.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.