Archery Talk Forum banner

A place for deer farms.

1646 Views 30 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  King
How do you guys feel about the guy that buys one of these monsters and cuts it loose in his neck-o-the woods to spread dna around? There's a rich farmer or two doing it where I hunt. The deer here are already legendary for size and mass, but the poachers have thinned them severely. I think the lack of big bucks in the last few years are the driving factor in the decision to "spread the seed" so to speak. The influx of hunters and poaching rack seekers in the last decade is comparable to what happened w/the larger Great White sharks after JAWS was released. Maybe there's a place for these deer farms, or maybe not. What are your thoughts?
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
8,137 Posts
How do you guys feel about the guy that buys one of these monsters and cuts it loose in his neck-o-the woods to spread dna around? There's a rich farmer or two doing it where I hunt. The deer here are already legendary for size and mass, but the poachers have thinned them severely. I think the lack of big bucks in the last few years are the driving factor in the decision to "spread the seed" so to speak. The influx of hunters and poaching rack seekers in the last decade is comparable to what happened w/the larger Great White sharks after JAWS was released. Maybe there's a place for these deer farms, or maybe not. What are your thoughts?
You've know a landowner that paid jillions for a genetically-altered buck and released it in a poacher-infested area?

· Tater's Archery Solutions
2,666 Posts
I dont think this is a very efficiant use of funds. I thought I may have read somewhrere that age and nutrition far out weigh the importance of genetics. I would almost bet that the genetics he payed for are not all that much greater than what you have naturally in your herd.

Not to mention the possibility of poachers. It seems as good as throwing money away. But then again, thats just my opinion.

· Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've know a landowner that paid jillions for a genetically-altered buck and released it in a poacher-infested area?
Sure do. He's got the jack, jack. His feeling is that if the buck sticks one or two doe, he's helping to stimulate the herds in his area. Thus, preserving his way of life. Where there are deer, there are poachers.

· Registered
2,697 Posts
my bro in law works at a deer farm and the prices they get for deer are out of this world. can't see turning one of those lose only to have my ******* neighbor shoot it after dark while spotlighting.

· Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my bro in law works at a deer farm and the prices they get for deer are out of this world. can't see turning one of those lose only to have my ******* neighbor shoot it after dark while spotlighting.
Or have it cross the river to the IN side and never return LMAO!!!

· Registered
8,137 Posts
Sure do. He's got the jack, jack. His feeling is that if the buck sticks one or two doe, he's helping to stimulate the herds in his area. Thus, preserving his way of life. Where there are deer, there are poachers.
What did he burn to buy a buck? 15-20K? If so, it probably would have been better spent hiring a couple of guys to patrol his land during the season and bust poachers. But then again, it's his money and if he wants to spend it so a poacher can shoot the buck, so what? People spend money on stranger things I guess.

· Team #9
9,762 Posts
what about the guy with money..that bought a Big buck from Colorado and
released it into the wild on his farm in wisconsin.and it was infected with
CWD..Now it spread to Illinois? I don`t know this to be fact first hand
I did read it in the news paper and some mags...does anyone know what
happend to the guy? I don`t think it leagle to release those deer into the wild
is it? thanks for your time

bigbucks170

· Registered
1,730 Posts
I think legally he may be in the wrong. On the deer fam that I worked on, the deer had to be tagged and acounted for at all times. The only way a deer was to leave the fence was either because it died or it was sold to another deer farmer! I dont think by laws of deer farming you can buy a big buck and just turn it loose!!! If they died you had to cut the heads off and send it in to be tested for CWD and such!!! If they came in a did an inspection, which they do and your missing a deer, the put you on quarinteen and your operation is in trouble!!!

Im sure there are loopholes some smuck will find, but I dont know how!!

· Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
"What did he burn to buy a buck? 15-20K?"

I thought 5-7K. Holy crap, 15-20K is crazy money!!! I just like to eat venison, so I can't quite grasp spending a trip to Africa on 1 buck. I'm also the wierdo who'd rather have a big nasty boars head, instead of a big buck over the fireplace. LOL!

· Registered
8,137 Posts
"What did he burn to buy a buck? 15-20K?"

I thought 5-7K. Holy crap, 15-20K is crazy money!!! I just like to eat venison, so I can't quite grasp spending a trip to Africa on 1 buck. I'm also the wierdo who'd rather have a big nasty boars head, instead of a big buck over the fireplace. LOL!
Well, I was just guessing with the 15-20K. 5-7K is still fat money as far as I'm concerned...I dunno what 5-7 would buy in terms of trophy potential if there's already trophy genetics in the area.(?)

· Registered
1,730 Posts
a good breeder knows that it takes more than a huge racked buck to make huge deer. The doe is just as important as the buck. I would say turning a huge pen raised buck loose in the wild would only slightly improve the overall gene quality in the deer population!!! Just my thinking!

· Registered
2,821 Posts
I dont think this is a very efficiant use of funds. I thought I may have read somewhrere that age and nutrition far out weigh the importance of genetics. I would almost bet that the genetics he payed for are not all that much greater than what you have naturally in your herd.

Not to mention the possibility of poachers. It seems as good as throwing money away. But then again, thats just my opinion.
genetics do play a huge role. How do you think some of these deer farms are getting 200" YEARLINGS! THat is because they are genetically superior. Granted in the wild they would not become this big as yearlings because of nutrition, but regardless genetics play a huge role.

In deer farming they say to buy the best genetics right away because you don't want to be stuck with some poor genetic deer that will only slow down your herd.

· Registered
2,821 Posts
I think legally he may be in the wrong. On the deer fam that I worked on, the deer had to be tagged and acounted for at all times. The only way a deer was to leave the fence was either because it died or it was sold to another deer farmer! I dont think by laws of deer farming you can buy a big buck and just turn it loose!!! If they died you had to cut the heads off and send it in to be tested for CWD and such!!! If they came in a did an inspection, which they do and your missing a deer, the put you on quarinteen and your operation is in trouble!!!

Im sure there are loopholes some smuck will find, but I dont know how!!

yeah it definately is illegal to release them. Also almost all animals that are over a certain age need to have testing done for CWD and TB if they die. They are very strict on the deer farmers to make sure that deer are not being released into the wild.

I personally think it would be a poor judgment to release a large buck anyway. The buck could easily relocate to an area 10 miles away, get hit by a car(never been around cars before that could kill them), attacked by nature's predators, or only breed a few does, depending on when he was released. Also another hunter could come along and take his prized animal. I think anyone with 10K to burn would put enough thought into releasing a monster buck to realize that it would be a waste of their money.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.