Archery Talk Forum banner

What axle length do you prefer for a hunting bow?

• < 30"

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • 30" to 33"

Votes: 108 29.6%
  • 33" to 36"

Votes: 169 46.3%
  • 36" to 39"

Votes: 57 15.6%
  • >39"

Votes: 15 4.1%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Don't Touch The Mustache
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get a little feedback on people's preferences.
This is not about bow brands or a specific model. All things being equal, what length of bow to you prefer?
Using a little generalizing here, shorter bows being a little faster and more demanding on form and longer bows being a little slower but less demanding on form.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
37-40 is an ideal fit for me. So I shoot better with them that size. And since I'm no world class archer I'll take every little bit of help I can get. :lol:

·
Registered
19,022 Posts
I answered 30-33 only because that's what I'm using currently (Z9) and shooting it better than any previous bow. Typically I liked 33-35"

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Really I perfer 35 - 38", so i put 36-39.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My new LTD is 45"ata! Probably the longest you'll see on this thread! lol

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I feel some of this is dependent on draw length, due to my longer draw (30.5"), I feel much more comfortable with with the 35"+ bows. (typically stay over 40" on target)
If I had a 25" draw I would probably consider a much shorter bow.

We should do a poll that asks for: draw length / bow length
Answers would range from around 0.6 (short draw long bow) to 1.0 (long draw short bow) give or take.

Mitch

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I really could care less what the ata is. How the bow shoots matters most to me. The best shooting bow I've had in my hands is 31" ata and blows conventional thinking out of the water.

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,334 Posts
35 is perfect for me...

·
Registered
936 Posts
33-36 for me. at that length the string comes nicely to the tip of my nose.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
my invasion suits me nicely at 31"

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I picked 30-33 cause of my short 26 inch draw.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I voted 30 to 33 but I'm leaning more towards 32 to 34.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
35'' is the best fit for me

·
Waiting on Season
14,905 Posts
37 and above for me i am 6'6" so i dont even mind em up to 44"

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
Hum...so far, nearly 72% of respondents like bows with less then 36" ATA. We must all be wrong.:wink:

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Just wanted to get a little feedback on people's preferences.
This is not about bow brands or a specific model. All things being equal, what length of bow to you prefer?
Using a little generalizing here, shorter bows being a little faster and more demanding on form and longer bows being a little slower but less demanding on form.
I voted "33 to 36" but I will not buy a 33" bow. I prefer 34-37" for hunting and 3D shooting.

·
Don't Touch The Mustache
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hum...so far, nearly 72% of respondents like bows with less then 36" ATA. We must all be wrong.:wink:
On the other hand, I'm a little surprised at the numbers preferring longer bows, especially considering that parallel limb bows are few and far between at lengths beyond 36", not to mention the higher prices some bow companies charge for their longer models - the suggested retail on the only Mathews long axis parallel limb bow is $1299. When I bought my Katera, I wanted the XL but they were all gone ... so I went with the shorter version. Not complaining as it's a great bow and I got it at end of model year closeout pricing, but would have readily traded the speed for the XL's extra forgiveness.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I guess this has an underlying poll of release vs. Fingers. I'm a release guy myself, but since I have a 30.5" draw length, its hard to find a bow shorter than 33" that fits my draw.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts