Archery Talk Forum banner

a POSITIVE review

718 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  hunt365 
#1 ·
I get kinda sad with all the product and people bashing on here. So (not that it's needed) I thought I would post a review of a product that I am going to have a lot of great experiences with.

For the past several seasons, I have been trying to find the best way to keep warm with minimal bulk. Obviously, as bowhunters that is what we desire. I tried and tried different layering techniques and material combos with some success but never was able to sit on stand during the late season for more than a couple hours.

I didn't want to take the dive but after the frustration of a missed opportunity last late season due to being cold, I decided it was time. So I waited for Sitka's new line to come out and put in an order. I ordered the merino wool base layers, the kelvin pants and jacket, and the fanatic bib and jacket. I have NEVER spend this kind of money on clothing. After I ordered this stuff, I immediately started regretting it simply because of the cost. In my head I was saying, "That wasn't smart.....that money could have gone somewhere else more beneficial."

Well, now that I have had this clothing for a few weeks I can say I couldn't be happier. Yes, I have not had a chance to test it out in sub-zero temps but I did spend 3 hours in a 28* freezer with my local taxidermist. He asked me if I wanted to help him "re-organize" the freezer and I said sure. I figured that would be a great chance to see what this stuff had. I was going to put the merino base layers on with the fanatic suit but decided to just put a t-shirt and gym shorts on underneath the fanatic suit since I would be moving around. I think I would have been fine with just the bibs on. I know that the haters that read this are going to say "You could have stayed warm in anything when you're moving around." Probably, but not as warm (actually HOT) as I was with this stuff on. For the first 10 minutes we basically stood still and discussed what he wanted to do and I was starting to sweat just doing that.

So, just an honest review coming from a happy customer. This stuff will end up saving me money as I won't be buying something different every year for late season hunting.

See less See more
#2 ·
You should have asked him if you could have just sat in there for an hr or two and see how it holds up then...thats the true test of how well clothing will keep you warm , when you're not moving at all.

#4 ·
You should have asked him if you could have just sat in there for an hr or two and see how it holds up then...thats the true test of how well clothing will keep you warm , when you're not moving at all. I do agree with your decision on merino wool for your baselayer though..I wear the same myself & it can be spendy but I feel its far superior to the synthetic alternatives.

#8 ·
few weeks? I've got a lot of wool that now fits people much smaller than me from hunting away from home and having to use laundry mats. Be careful with washing it.

You paid good money for a good product, what's to be said other than it better be. If it was one that desired friendship the cost would reflect that, if it was one that desired you to speak up for them the cost would reflect that.

For the money it better be a product people don't complain about.

#9 ·
I made the move to sitka this year too, I got the traverse base layers, the stratus set, the 90%set, the fanatic set, stratus gloves, ball cap, traverse baclava and jetstream beanie. I am loving this gear, it is light and not bulky and the fanatic will be great for cold mornings. I like it so much I think I will sell my arctic shiled and scent lok gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.