Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I propose, in advance of the flurry of the "I hit him hard, but can't find him, I need help" threads that we know are coming up (they do every year at this time), that if the OP goes through the usual routine of "I stuck him good", "I can't find blood but I know it was a solid hit", "Oh I just found a TON of blood", "The blood petered out", "I'm still looking", "Found more blood but backing out for the night", "My buddies are coming to help me in the morning", and then total silence, that they be permanently banned. Maybe even turned into to the IRS for an audit.

If they can't come back and update us, and admit that their "Great shot", wasn't so great, and they never found the deer, we don't want them hanging out here. "Ain't nobody got time for that!" 😄

What do you thinks mods, can we get that? 😎😅😉

·
Registered
Mathews Atlas, Easton carbon arrows, Iron Will broad heads
7,544 Posts
That’s an option.
Another is to not have those threads. Somebody setting at a keyboard 19 states away is of no real value to the person on the ground who “think” they possibly, may have, could have made a good shot. And they can’t find blood or the arrow etc etc. Sure there are some important things to do or not do in a tracking situation, but the people at the location can see the real facts and need to decide what to do. Those threads do nothing except fuel the “anti” bowhunting people that say we are torturing the poor animals.
There was an archery shop near me that’s now closed (retired), and if you started a conversation about hitting a deer and losing it, you were asked to leave, now.

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
I’ve seen some success finding hit deer here that was the result of helpful replies to lost deer post. Those threads do get old though. I’m all for an update/ follow up post to lost deer threads by the OP. But never gonna happen.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I’ve seen some success finding hit deer here that was the result of helpful replies to lost deer post. Those threads do get old though. I’m all for an update/ follow up post to lost deer threads by the OP. But never gonna happen.
Yes. There aren't many of those posts in which they find the deer, but every one of them that works out, is worth the trouble, IMO. I do love it when they post those success photos!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I propose, in advance of the flurry of the "I hit him hard, but can't find him, I need help" threads that we know are coming up (they do every year at this time), that if the OP goes through the usual routine of "I stuck him good", "I can't find blood but I know it was a solid hit", "Oh I just found a TON of blood", "The blood petered out", "I'm still looking", "Found more blood but backing out for the night", "My buddies are coming to help me in the morning", and then total silence, that they be permanently banned. Maybe even turned into to the IRS for an audit.

If they can't come back and update us, and admit that their "Great shot", wasn't so great, and they never found the deer, we don't want them hanging out here. "Ain't nobody got time for that!" 😄

What do you thinks mods, can we get that? 😎😅😉
Or maybe some permanent special profile badge meaning: "Couldn't find the deer and never reported back!"🤣

·
Registered
384 Posts
I do really like the threads and have learned from them (never had to post one of my own and hope not to) but it is sooooo frustrating when they just disappear.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sit up in your stand for an hour or more after the shot and don't look for your arrow or blood after climbing down. Just back out and come back 6 hours later. That's my advice, most guys are scaring their deer before they lay down and die and they go on a half mile run. I know that's pretty basic but you get my point. I'll try to help anyone with a text that needs some advice. Good luck guys.

·
Registered
25,876 Posts
There should be "demerit" points for certain aspects of wounding threads:
1. The shot was over 40 yards "because deer don't move as much at longer distances because the sound of the bow is quieter" or "I saw a guy on Youtube taking 80 yard shots"
2. They "had" to take the shot "because the deer was going to get away"
3. They admit the shot angle was poor "but someone on AT/the interent posted they killed several deer with the same shot"
4. They tripped or dropped their bow from a haul rope, then took a shot that missed badly....only to find out their sight or rest was "way off"
5. "It was not quite light enough to see my pin that morning/evening hunt, but I felt like things were lined up pretty well"
6. "My mechanical head opened up in flight and hit way off from target"
7. They were hunting on a weeknight or a Sunday evening and had to work the next day, so "I blood trailed as long as I could and then gave up"...but I went back 3 days later looking for crows to score the antlers

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
There should be "demerit" points for certain aspects of wounding threads:
1. The shot was over 40 yards "because deer don't move as much at longer distances because the sound of the bow is quieter" or "I saw a guy on Youtube taking 80 yard shots"
2. They "had" to take the shot "because the deer was going to get away"
3. They admit the shot angle was poor "but someone on AT/the interent posted they killed several deer with the same shot"
4. They tripped or dropped their bow from a haul rope, then took a shot that missed badly....only to find out their sight or rest was "way off"
5. "It was not quite light enough to see my pin that morning/evening hunt, but I felt like things were lined up pretty well"
6. "My mechincal head opened up in flight and hit way off from target"
7. They were hunting on a weeknight or a Sunday evening and had to work the next day, so "I blood trailed as long as I could and then gave up"...but I went back 3 days later looking for crows to score the antlers
#2 is sadly too common...

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
What does using a Rage broadhead have to do with anything? I've been using Hypos for years and have no reason to quit using them.
I'm sure Rages work fine, in most cases, for people who tune their bows and practice archery, but some people actually admit using them, so they don't have to bow tune or shoot as accurately. Those people have created a Rage stigma. Even on some TV archery hunting shows I've seen, I've heard the host say: "Looks like it hit too far back... Oh well, the Rage will kill him anyway..." That creates both unrealistic expectations among novice bowhunters and negative perceptions among experienced bowhunters, in the real world. In this case, it's not the Rage at fault; it's how it gets presented. Then later some novices post their "help me track my deer" post on AT saying, "but I shot him with a Rage", as though that should have been enough. Again, it's not necessarily the Rage itself, it's how it gets miss-used in the real hunting world.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Lost deer posts happen for a few reasons.
0. POOR SHOT!
1. hunters who don’t know how to track
2. seeking of guidance, knowledge after the event
3. impatience
4. confession
5. forgiveness
Probably a few others.
It seems threads that review tracking techniques should be started and revisited every year as I have learned as much from these threads as I have from 40 years of bow hunting.

below are two pics of a 45 yd spot and stalk Blacktail that ran 100 yds and disappeared in brush. Only one spot of blood on the ground the width of an arrow shaft. I was convinced it was a great shot and spent an hour crawling in dirt. I began to doubt myself but persistence and lop shears let me retrieve my buck. The entire blood volume was inside the chest cavity and subcutaneous tissue despite a complete pass through. The apex of the heart was nearly severed off the ventricles which mean both pulmonary and aortic/ systemic blood flow ( cardiac output) was nonexistent and yet that deer‘s ability to run was unbelievable. This was a great shot and zero blood. If I had not found it and posted the loss, NO ONE would believe that it was a lethal shot.

Hand Jaw Food Cuisine Meat

Plant Leaf Leaf vegetable Petal Tints and shades

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm sure Rages work fine, in most cases, for people who tune their bows and practice archery, but some people actually admit using them, so they don't have to bow tune or shoot as accurately. Those people have created a Rage stigma. Even on some TV archery hunting shows I've seen, I've heard the host say: "Looks like it hit too far back... Oh well, the Rage will kill him anyway..." That creates both unrealistic expectations among novice bowhunters and negative perceptions among experienced bowhunters, in the real world. In this case, it's not the Rage at fault; it's how it gets presented. Then later some novices post their "help me track my deer" post on AT saying, "but I shot him with a Rage", as though that should have been enough. Again, it's not necessarily the Rage itself, it's how it gets miss-used in the real hunting world.
Same can be said for the single bevel/fixed crowd. In fact way more so. In general this crowd is way more apt to take poor shots because they are way over confident in their penetration capabilities. Until they ACTUALLY hit the shoulder bone (not the scapula or where most people think the bone is) and get stoned.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts